Official Umar Johnson Thread

You have no idea what was being published around the time they were in their primes. You know how many magazines, outlets, newspapers exist?

Not to mention the world was much smaller and the internet wasn't as pominent.

So yes, you don't know.

YOU Are making a baseless claim.

What are you talking about? We were old enough to read the papers and magazines, we were old enough to know the significance of their antics. We were old enough to have been taught that that high heels and wedding dresses don't belong on men. Now that I remember, Larry Johnson sold converse impersonating a grandma. All this time, you didn't see masculinity protection crusades like you see today.
nobody had social media apps in the 90s for that to occur.
seems to me your out of touch, and need to re-calibrate what is occurring in these modern times.

Some people treat men wearing 'effeminate clothing' like it's the end of the world :lol:
What exactly is the issue? Insecurity in one's own manliness? Regarding the people on the utmost extreme end of obsessing over this, the impression I get is that it seems more about some delusional fear of their kids magically becoming gay from exposure to men wearing effeminate clothing.

Generally speaking though it just comes off as rather blatant male insecurity. If your sense of masculinity is so fragile that it is affected by the actions of other men, seek help.

What are you talking about? We were old enough to read the papers and magazines, we were old enough to know the significance of their antics. We were old enough to have been taught that that high heels and wedding dresses don't belong on men. Now that I remember, Larry Johnson sold converse impersonating a grandma. All this time, you didn't see masculinity protection crusades like you see today.

There was no social media back then, the internet just started & you couldn't just see any random person's views instantly. The world has easily gotten more progressive and accepting than it use to be. If you think the outrage is bad now idk what makes you believe that people didn't feel this way in the past

They must have kept all that on the low because that wasn't the image the rest of the world was presented Fam.

33a1e94a13f9c61bcd48e6a5dbbc8ee9.500x500x1.jpg

vs

DaMh-gBXkAA7vC7.jpg

I mean the first words most of the world heard from homie was "i Be that pretty Mutha****a" :lol:

He's a flamboyant dude for sure but off just seeing dude in interviews & observing from a distance i don't think Rocky comes off as extremely feminine. But again the clothing ain't ever been that much of a problem for me (unless dudes are literally trying to model themselves after women, with make up & heels & all that extra)

I mean the first words most of the world heard from homie was "i Be that pretty Mutha****a" :lol:

He's a flamboyant dude for sure but off just seeing dude in interviews & observing from a distance i don't think Rocky comes off as extremely feminine. But again the clothing ain't ever been that much of a problem for me (unless dudes are literally trying to model themselves after women, with make up & heels & all that extra)

Mohammed Ali called himself "Pretty" too.

Even Little Richard said no real man wears a dress :lol: :smh:

If anyone is an OG in this area, it's Little Richard.

Those guys (Little Richard, Prince, Rick James, etc.) get all the respect in the world from me because they never switched up.

You and I both know ASAP Rocky was not walking down 41st in a dress with spaghetti straps Fam :lol::rofl:

Some people treat men wearing 'effeminate clothing' like it's the end of the world :lol:
What exactly is the issue? Insecurity in one's own manliness? Regarding the people on the utmost extreme end of obsessing over this, the impression I get is that it seems more about some delusional fear of their kids magically becoming gay from exposure to men wearing effeminate clothing.

Generally speaking though it just comes off as rather blatant male insecurity. If your sense of masculinity is so fragile that it is affected by the actions of other men, seek help.

I mean wouldn't this also apply to the people with critiques on how other men would like to raise their sons? whether someone wants to dress their child in full makeup & dresses or have them dress in fatigues for the rest of their life really isn't any of our business.

But to bring it back to the topic at hand, nowadays you say you don't wan't your son playing with makeup & playing dress up in women's clothes your close minded, fragile, toxic & suppressing the child.

But somehow the opposite of that is applauded by a certain demo

nobody had social media apps in the 90s for that to occur.
seems to me your out of touch, and need to re-calibrate what is occurring in these modern times.
The absence of social media didn't prevent cultural panic about D&D, rap, rock-'n'-roll, magic the gathering cards, Pokemon, Harry Potter (long before JK said what she said), so I don't know why that would justify the lack of backlash linked to the less than masculine appearance of the likes of Rodman and Prince.
Regarding the people on the utmost extreme end of obsessing over this, the impression I get is that it seems more about some delusional fear of their kids magically becoming gay from exposure to men wearing effeminate clothing.
This is exactly why I'm going back to those celebs of the past. We grew up with them, and most of us could separate their music/athleticism/shoes from their dress code and mannerisms and ended up not looking/acting like them.

So why succumb to the social-media engineered panic now?

We aren't seriously trying to compare the climate of the 80's early 90's to today are we? nor the accessibility & lack of censorship kids deal with now.

Some people don’t want to accept living and understanding modern times. You don’t have to, but who wants to be left behind in this game?

You can tell by the duck lips JM really enjoyed the photoshoot, doesn't look like he was being coerced imo.

As a kid when I first got hip to Prince I assumed he was gay. After Purple Rain I was like ok he just different AF 🤣

We aren't seriously trying to compare the climate of the 80's early 90's to today are we? nor the accessibility & lack of censorship kids deal with now.

That's exactly what I'm asking you to do. The way you guys are reacting to these new celebs is no different than the way boomers/gen X reacted to every new celebrity that didn't fit their mold. Where I grew up, old folks thought that Iverson making braids and tatoos cool was gonna turn kids into gays and criminals.

Why is this reaction valid today?
Some people don’t want to accept living and understanding modern times. You don’t have to, but who wants to be left behind in this game?
Since you haven't noticed, I'm the one saying you're washed. Y'all are the people on that "back in my day starts were different."

That's exactly what I'm asking you to do. The way you guys are reacting to these new celebs is no different than the way boomers/gen X reacted to every new celebrity that didn't fit their mold. Where I grew up, old folks thought that Iverson making braids and tatoos cool was gonna turn kids into gays and criminals.

Why is this reaction valid today?

Since you haven't noticed, I'm the one saying you're washed. Y'all are the people on that "back in my day starts were different."

Two things

1) i've already stated that i don't think dudes outfit was anything to cause an outrage
2) Again if you are acting as if today's climate isn't totally different different then back in the days IDK what to tell you. Let me know at what point in the 90's people were literally pushing to erase gender :lol: & Little boys/girls were switching genders before puberty

You can tell by the duck lips JM really enjoyed the photoshoot, doesn't look like he was being coerced imo.

As a kid when I first got hip to Prince I assumed he was gay. After Purple Rain I was like ok he just different AF 🤣

Exactly.

Everyone did.

He made an album and had a whole tour about it.

Now fools want to try and outsmart the truth.

A man wearing makeup and women's clothing will never be considered normal no matter what year it is :lol:

Exactly.

Everyone did.

He made an album and had a whole tour about it.

Now fools want to try and outsmart the truth.

A man wearing makeup and women's clothing will never be considered normal no matter what year it is :lol:
You know how some of these cats are on NT, someone can glue a horn to their head and claim they are a Unicorn and some of these panderers will try and tell you it's normal.

I mean wouldn't this also apply to the people with critiques on how other men would like to raise their sons? whether someone wants to dress their child in full makeup & dresses or have them dress in fatigues for the rest of their life really isn't any of our business.

But to bring it back to the topic at hand, nowadays you say you don't wan't your son playing with makeup & playing dress up in women's clothes your close minded, fragile, toxic & suppressing the child.

But somehow the opposite of that is applauded by a certain demo
The obvious answer when it comes to kids is that it should be up to the kids how he/she wants to dress, rather than parents forcing their own view on the kids.

If the kids are old enough to kinda form an identity and style, and it for example includes a male kid wanting makeup/nails painted, the parents shouldn’t force their own negative view on that onto the child. They should have a talk about it and the likely negative attention and bullying the kid will receive as a result, but support the kid’s decision either way.

Or vice versa, parents forcing makeup etc (or other controversial outfits) on a kid that doesn’t really want it on his/her own accord, or doesn’t even grasp that choice yet. Parents forcing controversial stuff on their kids against their will is basically forced indoctrination.

Last edited:
Also, strangely this whole effeminate clothing debate is always about men.
On the other hand, you rarely ever hear these kind of complaints about women who wear traditionally male clothing. I don’t see anyone complaining about the defeminization of women.
Note that women wearing manly clothes is of course not as prevalent but it’s also not unusual. For whatever reason, it’s somewhat common amongst lesbian women.

Also, strangely this whole effeminate clothing debate is always about men.
On the other hand, you rarely ever hear these kind of complaints about women who wear traditionally male clothing. I don’t see anyone complaining about the defeminization of women.
Note that women wearing manly clothes is of course not as prevalent but it’s also not unusual. For whatever reason, it’s somewhat common amongst lesbian women.

Not strange at all. Women have the option to explore how they want to express themselves throughout the gender spectrum, with their clothes, who they date, hobbies they're interested in etc.

Men do not.

Back
Top Bottom