Official Umar Johnson Thread

Entertainers are modern day court jesters aka clowns. Why do black folk get so absorbed in these people instead of academics and politicians.

Prince played a guitar that looked like a phallus for decades, made purple his color, frequently wore high heels, and I don't see many coming after him for his choices. In fact, he is considered a Black cultural icon.

Same with Rodman: the guy would wear wedding dresses, dye his hair, paint his nails and no one thought he was emasculating men.

ASAP can't carry HIS baby in a picture without eliciting the ire of some folks though (the same folks who love to talk about absent fathers). ****'s hilarious and sad.

Oh and he plays dress up for a living

Nothing masculine about a man playing dress up for a living if Umar wants to get deep with it :lol:
Does this extend to athletes? They get paid to entertain people too.

#DaAgenda

Screenshot_20230220_124816-e1676915343812.png

Prince played a guitar that looked like a phallus for decades, made purple his color, frequently wore high heels, and I don't see many coming after him for his choices. In fact, he is considered a Black cultural icon.

Same with Rodman: the guy would wear wedding dresses, dye his hair, paint his nails and no one thought he was emasculating men.

ASAP can't carry HIS baby in a picture without eliciting the ire of some folks though (the same folks who love to talk about absent fathers). ****'s hilarious and sad.

Does this extend to athletes? They get paid to entertain people too.

Prince was considered a weirdo...especially when he first came out, but he was about that life. Took on the whole music industry.

Rodman was considered a weirdo...but on the court all that stopped, he was about that life. Became a World Champion.

ASAP was considered a weirdo...but c'mon Fam. He ain't no Prince or Rodman.

ASAP rapped a whole different game than he living.

Went from loving BBs to becoming one :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not for nothing, I don't know JM beyond his masculine acting roles. Is he about that effeminate dressing life? Maybe it's his own agenda...

Yea i'm pretty sure i've heard plenty of people speak on both Prince & Rodman and question their masculinity for their clothing choices.

Honestly that cover didn't really seem odd to me at all, given today's climate it could be A LOT worse. With that said there is a 100% a focus on trying to reconstruct what black men consider masculine & it damn sure ain't coming from black men.

Prince was considered a weirdo...especially when he first came out, but he was about that life. Took on the whole music industry.

Rodman was considered a weirdo...but on the court all that stopped, he was about that life.
Again, nobody was writing articles and doing documentaries on how these two guys were emasculating black men.

And there are more examples of Black men from before the internet crossdressing without much talk from folks about this supposed influence.

What I find is that a lot of this criticism seems to come from people who are uncomfortable with what they see, and they make a lot of noise hoping they can project their discomfort onto people who don't give two cents about celebs' eccentric behavior.

Why should we care today when most of us were not affected by the eccentricities of the celebs of our youth? How many of you are out there, dressing like Sheneneh because you watched the Jamie Foxx Show?

It’s also worth discussing what group characteristics Are we calling masculinity when we say “masculinity is being redefined or reconstructed” is it behaviors or is it an aesthetic? If it’s a group of characteristics what is Johnathan Majors that challenges that definition of masculinity?

Again, nobody was writing articles and doing documentaries on how these two guys were emasculating black men.

And there are more examples of Black men from before the internet crossdressing without much talk from folks about this supposed influence.

What I find is that a lot of this criticism seems to come from people who are uncomfortable with what they see, and they make a lot of noise hoping they can project their discomfort onto people who don't give two cents about celebs' eccentric behavior.

Why should we care today when most of us were not affected by the eccentricities of the celebs of our youth? How many of you are out there, dressing like Sheneneh because you watched the Jamie Foxx Show?

Wanda.

:lol:

As always breh's find your group of people who you vibe with & are in tune with & do your best to grow your own community. One side of the coin is trying to make black men hate women & vice verca & the other side is trying to erase gender as a whole :lol:

Lunacy that we live in nowadays

People are extremely shaky on when pop culture & celebrity trends have an influence on the youth :lol: . when it's something they don't like people need to be silenced & deplatformed, when it's behavior that doesn't bother or effect them, suddenly media isn't influential & the parents need to take responsibility.

People are extremely shaky on when pop culture & celebrity trends have an influence on the youth :lol: . when it's something they don't like people need to be silenced & deplatformed, when it's behavior that doesn't bother or effect them, suddenly media isn't influential & the parents need to take responsibility.

I would have all the respect in the world for these folks if they were like this from the very beginning.

Prince never switched up.

Rick James never switched up.

Parliament Funkadelic never switched up.

They were who they were from the very beginning.

ASAP Rocky knows damn well he wasn't in Harlem performing/looking like this from the start:

remember-when-a-ap-rocky-became-the-infamous-first-rapper-v0-67rsw396dn891.jpg

I would have all the respect in the world for these folks if they were like this from the very beginning.

Prince never switched up.

Rick James never switched up.

Parliament Funkadelic never switched up.

They were who they were from the very beginning.

ASAP Rocky knows damn well he wasn't in Harlem performing/looking like this from the start:

remember-when-a-ap-rocky-became-the-infamous-first-rapper-v0-67rsw396dn891.jpg

As a ***** from NYC i can tell you wholeheartedly that he was, And every last one of them A$AP ****** will tell you how many fights they got into for dressing like that :lol: . That "high Fashion" **** has always been there bag, Ain't a look i'm pulling off but that is genuinely what them dudes are into.

But honestly i'm not even talking about clothes forreal when i speak on how masculinity is being redefined by people outside of the culture.

As a ***** from NYC i can tell you wholeheartedly that he was, And every last one of them A$AP ****** will tell you how many fights they got into for dressing like that :lol: . That "high Fashion" **** has always been there bag, Ain't a look i'm pulling off but that is genuinely what them dudes are into.

But honestly i'm not even talking about clothes forreal when i speak on how masculinity is being redefined by people outside of the culture.

They must have kept all that on the low because that wasn't the image the rest of the world was presented Fam.

33a1e94a13f9c61bcd48e6a5dbbc8ee9.500x500x1.jpg

vs

DaMh-gBXkAA7vC7.jpg

None of us were adults during the time of Prince and/or Rodman for us to know what was published about their sexuality/masculinity.

None of us were adults during the time of Prince and/or Rodman for us to know what was published about their sexuality/masculinity.
What are you talking about? We were old enough to read the papers and magazines, we were old enough to know the significance of their antics. We were old enough to have been taught that that high heels and wedding dresses don't belong on men. Now that I remember, Larry Johnson sold converse impersonating a grandma. All this time, you didn't see masculinity protection crusades like you see today.

Back
Top Bottom