**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

pimp.gif

Ian Darke is a punk *** ***** for continually saying the game is "in the bag" with 30-40 minutes left in the game :smh:. Also, **** all those obnoxious "fans" and their "dos-a-cero" chants :smh:.

Having said that, Guatemala got that pay back with interest :pimp:.

Last edited:
Kyle Beckerman is absolutely thee worst player on the USA team. He such a weak link on the field.

But all in all good win by us tonight.

Money is not an excuse, it's THE single biggest differentiating factor when comparing any league to another. It's more important than culture and infrastructure and far more important than tradition and history.

Saying MLS salaries are catching up to Liga MX salaries so the disparity in money spend isn't meaningful is kind of absurd. There are a number of fantastic players in Liga MX who earn 2-3 million USD a year. It wasn't until 2015 that the MLS salary cap PER TEAM grew to greater than $3M/year.

In 2016 the cap is $3.6M after the biggest salary cap increase in league history. But the salaries are gaining on Liga MX though, money shouldn't be used as a reason to explain the disparity. Come on man. :rolleyes

I said from the jump that Liga MX is superior to MLS. I've also said by years a realistic goal for MLS would be catching up with Liga MX in the next 10 - 20 years, despite the pipe dream of some Americans who want a league on par with the EPL by 2022.

I've also said for years on here that the area where MLS teams fall off relative to leagues like Liga MX and the Championship is roster spots numbers 12 - 24. The depth isn't there. There's no depth because there's no money.

You're omitted the fact that MLS teams have the use of DP salaries which brings MLS teams in line with LMX teams. For example Kaka makes $6.6 mill year, Giovinco makes $5.6 mill, Michael Bradley makes $6 mill, Stevie G makes $6.2, Fat Frank makes $6 mill, Jozy makes $4.7 mill, Deuce makes $3.9 mill... MLS also increased salary money via TAM for $800k for the next 2 years or $1.6 mill total. My point is money should not be used as an excuse.

I don't think you understand how much more money they put towards development than we do currently, even in their nation's darkest days.

Your statement is a little misleading. Of course Spain spends more money in football development than the US specifically at the time I mentioned but that's chiefly because the US doesn't place a priority on footy like Spain does. But relative to other footballing countries especially crisis-stricken, austerity-squeezed countries, Spain was not spending as much as say Germany who have invested just shy of $2 bill (possibly more as I'm going on memory) in football development.

I don't even believe that, that's just silly man. From a tactical standpoint unlimited substitutions make college soccer incomparable to the real game. Typical college soccer is a handful of the lesser players run and press until their exhausted at which point a replacement comes on. Completely disrupts any sense of flow or rhythm, leads to players playing under constant pressure that would be near impossible to replicate in the real game, which leads to a long of ugly kick and run. There are a few exceptions, UC Berkeley has played beautiful soccer for years under Kevin Grimes. But college soccer is one of the ugliest remnants of the past generations of American soccer.

I said NCAA footy was more fun to watch IMO. The most enjoyment I ever had watching a domestic game was the NCAA finals a couple of years back featuring Notre Dame & Maryland. It was poorly officiated but I can't remember another game pro or collegiate where I had more fun watching.

Living in MD, I'm been privy to seeing some great college programs in MD, Georgetown, Wake Forest, & UConn to name a few over the years. I had more enjoyment watching those programs than I did watching MLS outside of the top 5-6 teams.

With regards to coaching here in the US, I'm not saying there isn't any solid coaching, I'm saying there is a shortage of it or not enough. I'm also saying that a lot of those coaches aren't easily accessible & cost a lot of money something that is different in other countries where if you're good, you don't have to pay much if anything at all to get on a well coached side or academy.

Good win by the US tonight. Klinsmann picked a stronger side & they competed a lot harder than last week. Good to see Politic out there today. Wasn't enough time to get a good idea of what he has to offer at this point but he did look lively. Too bad for Finlay. He was robbed. DC United CB Steve Birnbaum look solid too.

Edit - see new post...

Last edited:
can you link me to this?? would like to know more about how the number came to be

I had to check & see if I still had pages book marked & I remembered incorrectly...

This article mentioned Germany spent $1 bill over a 10 year period in youth development & a separate $1.84 bill to prepare for the 06 WC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/s...uggles-germany-invests-heavily-in-soccer.html

Separately, here's a great article from the Guardian that explains in more detail what the Germans did during that period.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

can you link me to this?? would like to know more about how the number came to be
I had to check & see if I still had pages book marked & I remembered incorrectly...

This article mentioned Germany spent $1 bill over a 10 year period in youth development & a separate $1.84 bill to prepare for the 06 WC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/s...uggles-germany-invests-heavily-in-soccer.html

Separately, here's a great article from the Guardian that explains in more detail what the Germans did during that period.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent
cheers @psk2310, p4l will read when I have time

glad to have you back (for now?) or if its temporary I hope there is more US Soccer struggles if it means you make more appearances on NT
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom