**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

Anyone watching U20s?

Thought they played really well against a strong Ecuador side. Handled their business against Fiji today.

Chance to top the group against Slovakia on Friday at 2 EST.

I was watching the 94 WC highlights yesterday between the US and Brazil. They lost 1-0 but they really were going toe to toe with them.

US always had a good midfield. Just no striker to convert chances.

why, man

safe, easy im sure. but whyyyy

Glad that it’s temporary to see if he can do it while they find a permanent replacement. I like it

if this is it then i hope it's done fast...need to be moving forward not stuck in neutral

World cup around the corner they're just experimenting.

USMNT can go to south america and find a good coach for cheap that's not established

USMNT can go to south america and find a good coach for cheap that's not established

Argentina develops coaches in numbers and I'm sure Brazil does too to some extent, but I've been super unimpressed with coaching in the Andean states to the north e.g. Colombia, Ecuador, Peru. No thank you.

I don't get the noise over one former assistant turned caretake leaving for another opportunity and being replaced by the next assistant.

Didn't they always say the search for the next permanent coach would run through the Nations League and Gold Cup?

We really not watching the U20 World Cup?

Quater-final match 5:00 EST Sunday vs the winner of Gambia/Uruguay.

U.S. have had an easy path, but when you watch them, they're obviously a really strong and balanced team.

From a neutral perspective, it was good game. Uruguay executed their game plan to perfection and didn't make a mistake. Overall I thought the U.S. stood toe-to-toe with them and more for long periods of the match, but bad error from Justin Che in transition and the OG were obviously the difference. Uruguay's focus and guile had them looking like a finalist team, this U.S. team could obviously play football but didn't show the same level of seasoning and professional concentration.

From a U.S. perspective, this was by far the most technical team we've ever fielded at a U20 World Cup. Didn't seem to be any weak individual links through the earlier stages of the tournament, but against top tier competition, left back Caleb Wiley was exposed. That said, overall the technical-tactical ability of the players with the ball stood out as a major positive to me.

Poor finishing and inability to convert chances created was apparent early in the tournament, and finally cost the team against Uruguay. With our player development history, ironically there are many players with only physical limitations pertaining to progressing to the next level.

Brandan Craig as a ball playing CB is the best passer I've ever seen for the U.S. at this level. Better than Tim Ream at the same age. He will fill out and get stronger, but his lack of power and speed is a big concern. You can really see it in the first Uruguay goal as he can't seem to make up any recovery ground contributing to the tap-in for Uruguay in transition.

Jack McGlynn another one in midfield. Just a pleasure to watch on the ball. But evaluating him as a potential contributor in a top league, the lack of athleticism raises doubts.

Diego Luna seems controversial, but I don't see why. Again, the technical ability and in his case, the deception and creativity with the ball are just so obvious. Finishing wasn't there this tournament but we just don't develop players with his offensive qualities. He needs to get to Europe asap so we can find out if there's still room for #10s with the Cuauhtémoc Blanco body type in the modern game. Ultimately I don't care if he's 5'8 with the muffin top waist line, because his pressing was also outstanding.

Cade Cowell another interesting one. Complete contrast to the archetype for this team, and Mikey Varas preferences in player selection dating back to his roots in the Bay Area. So much power, so much pace. Finishing you can live with, but the technique and inferior short passing ability... He has to get to a club situation where he's pushed to his limits technically and tactically. Not my type of player but if he can improve on his deficiencies to the point where they're just minimally adequate, he'll have a long career. If not, his floor might be the USL.

On a positive individual note for Joshua Wynder (the disastrous OG), he was bought by Benfica today. First 7 figure transfer sale for the USL.

Ehh Benfica. A certain Freddy Adu comes to mind. They're just gonna loan him out and ruin his career.

Ehh Benfica. A certain Freddy Adu comes to mind. They're just gonna loan him out and ruin his career.

That was a long time ago. He'll start with Benfica B. More recently they did a really good job with Keaton Parks, with no financial investment made. Gave him every opportunity to progress. Up to the player to rise to the level.

Really illustrates the high level of chance creation but also suboptimal finishing.

McGlynn and Luna were hand feeding Cowell.

This line up is low key fire.

gcqt73422a6b1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom