**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

Duece has always had a hot head so I'm not really surprised... I think now that he's a big fish in a small footballing pond here in the states, his hot headedness has gotten a little worse...
absolutely 

for those who missed it...

It pains me to say, but I don't think he should wear the captain's armband again for the USMNT.
mean.gif
I understand why Dempsey, by default, had been captain...... but I never really felt he should have had the armband in the first place

I would be very disappointed if the USSF didn't suspend Deuce for the full 3 months as[COLOR=#red] clearly outlined[/COLOR] in the rule book. It would send a very very bad message that if you're a star player, you're beyond reproach.

I like Deuce, always have but a rule is a rule & he crossed the line. Very very poor sportsmanship.

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/story/2486520/usmnt-russia-board-50

U.S. Russia Board 5.0: Youth rising
i

Gyasi Zardes, Alejandro Bedoya and DeAndre Yedlin figure to play key roles for the USMNT in 2018.

"After the game with Germany, we'll have a lot more answers to many of our questions about every individual player and about the entire team."

That was U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann speaking earlier this week, before the Americans followed up on their June 5 comeback win at the Netherlands with an even more impressive scalp: Wednesday's 2-1 victory, on the road, against the defending World Cup champions.

Klinsmann certainly learned a lot about his squad over the past 10 days, not least about the burgeoning, never-say-die character some of his least experienced players showed against two of the sport's most imposing foes. With veterans Jozy Altidore, Alejandro Bedoya, Clint Dempsey and Jermaine Jones missing, several youngsters who might not have been called in otherwise were given opportunities, and took them.

This is a positive development, to be sure. But it also creates a high-quality problem for the manager and his staff.

Take U.S. striker Bobby Wood. The 22-year-old came off the bench in both games in June and scored a game winner in each. Most forwards -- no matter which club pays their salary -- will go their entire careers without coming close to an achievement like that. But while the Hawaii native absolutely boosted his stock over the past six days, he's not even a lock on the U.S. team that will begin World Cup qualifying later this year, let alone at the main event in Russia in 2018. (We already know Wood won't be at this summer's Gold Cup; Klinsmann decided that participating in preseason with his club would benefit him more in the long term.)

There's constant debate among fans and media members about which U.S. team is the best of all time. Was it the 2002 side that reached the quarterfinals in South Korea? The 2010 edition that finished first in its group in South Africa, ahead of England? At the very least, it's up for debate. (Klinsmann's team from last summer is in the conversation, too.) What isn't up for debate, though, is that this current U.S. team is the deepest ever, or at least has the chance to be. Consider this: If Wood does go to Russia, one of Altidore, Juan Agudelo, Aron Johannsson, Jordan Morris or Rubio Rubin is almost certainly staying home. Even after Wood's star turn, that seems like a tall order.

But plenty can happen over the next three years. Just in the past four months -- the amount of time since our last Russia Board update -- we've seen enough to make five changes to the USMNT starting lineup (with a total of five players making their debuts). The competition for places promises to be fiercer than ever.

And if these past two games are anything to go by, there will be no shortage of candidates ready, willing and able to answer their country's call.

Here's our latest projection of the U.S. starting lineup and roster for the 2018 World Cup, including scouting notes, analysis and a confidence ranking for each starter. (Ages and experience as of June 10.)

i

Forward: Jozy Altidore

Age: 25 | USMNT experience: 80 caps | Starter certainty: 6 out of 10
Backup: Jordan Morris (5 caps)

A hamstring injury kept Altidore out of the Americans' two-game swing through Europe, but the target man -- who has five goals in nine MLS games this year -- should be healthy for the Gold Cup after returning to action with Toronto FC. That's good news for the U.S., as is the emergence of Morris as Altidore's understudy.
Forward: Gyasi Zardes

Backup: Aron Johannsson (11 caps)

After struggling at times earlier this year, the hard-working, fast-learning LA Galaxy striker is becoming more and more comfortable with the speed of the international game. He finished a tricky chance against the Dutch (his first U.S. goal) and was dangerous against Germany in his sixth straight start.
Right midfielder: Alejandro Bedoya

Backup: Rubio Rubin (3 caps)

Like Altidore, the versatile Bedoya wasn't with the U.S. this month due to injury (knee). But the Florida native remains a key part of the rebuilding national team's leadership corps. He's also coming off a career year in France that has caught the interest of teams in bigger leagues, and he'll still be in his prime when Russia 2018 kicks off.
Attacking midfielder: Michael Bradley

Backup: Gedion Zelalem (0 caps)

Bradley is at the height of his powers right now. He seems to be embracing -- not simply adjusting to -- the playmaking role Klinsmann has shoehorned him into, establishing himself as the Americans' best player through the first half of this year. He is also the odds-on favorite to captain the team in 2018.
Left midfielder: Fabian Johnson

Backup: Mix Diskerud (30 caps)

Despite playing at right wing and left back against the Netherlands and Germany, respectively, Johnson fills a need as an attacking option on the left flank, the spot he plays for Champions League-bound Borussia Monchengladbach. Versatility can be a curse, of course. But as one of the country's most complete players, he'll be on the field somewhere in Russia if healthy.
Holding midfielder: Danny Williams

Backup: Alfredo Morales (10 caps)

His performance off the bench in Amsterdam -- he scored his first international goal against the Oranje -- earned him a start against his birth nation. He won't be at the Gold Cup, though, as a chronic knee problem requires rest before next season.

i

Right back: DeAndre Yedlin

Backup: Timmy Chandler (21 caps)

Klinsmann loves his full-backs who attack, and Yedlin has proved his speed makes things happen, no matter the quality of opponent. Chandler seems ahead of Yedlin right now, but that could change if and when the former Seattle Sounder starts getting regular minutes in Europe, if not sooner.
Right center back: Ventura Alvarado

Backup: Omar Gonzalez (25 caps)

The Club America center-back's struggles against the Netherlands weren't unexpected given that it was his first start on the road. But Klinsmann likes the youngster's upside, and he showed confidence in Alvarado by throwing him right back in against the Germans. We'll find out next month if he's edged past Gonzalez on the coach's depth chart.
Left center back: John Brooks

Backup: Cameron Carter-Vickers (0 caps)

The learning curve continues for the Berlin-born Brooks, who struggled against the Dutch but finished strong -- after a shaky start -- in Germany. It's all part of the process for a young center back, and Brooks' potential remains vast. The same goes for 17-year-old Tottenham prospect Carter-Vickers, who has been the most consistent American at the ongoing U-20 World Cup.
Left back: Brek Shea

Backup: Greg Garza (7 caps)

Shea made way for Johnson against the Germans after manning left back in four of the first six U.S. games in 2015, but don't read too much into that: The Texan has done better than expected on the back line (where he's also playing for Orlando City) and brings all-world athleticism to the position.
Goalkeeper: Brad Guzan

Backups: Bill Hamid (2 caps), William Yarbrough (2 caps)

Guzan's spot seemed to be in doubt after he lost his starting job at Aston Villa toward the end of the Premier League season. But Klinsmann has faith in the big backstop, and Guzan will be hard to displace -- even when Tim Howard returns -- should he help the U.S. defend its Gold Cup crown and qualify for the 2017 Confederations Cup.

Doug McIntyre is a staff writer for ESPN The Magazine and ESPN FC. Follow him on Twitter @DougMacESPN.

Pardon the ignorance but any news on Green?

Klinsmann said he's leaving Green off the Gold Cup roster so he can rest up, heal some nagging injuries, & prepare for this club future. Green has to sort out what direction he's heading as far as his club career goes. He most likely will have to play away from Bayern on loan again however where that is has yet to be determined.

3 games... What a joke

Looks like that was MLS' ruling but USSF hasn't decided yet have they? Or is this the USSF ruling handed down to MLS? The rule book is clear that what Deuce did was subject to a minimum 3 month ban.

Why the hell does Green need rest or recuperation time?? I probably got more game time in my crappy indoor league than he did all season long at Hamburg 
laugh.gif

from the looks of it USSF handed down the decision to MLS.... again, what. a. bloody. joke. smh smh smh

I'm planning on calling the USSF on Monday or Tuesday to voice my displeasure in a polite way... I wanted to email them, but their site doesn't have an email address but I did find their phone number,(312) 808-1300. This is some BS...

imo it kinda is.....I'm not a soccer purist but that **** really rubbed me the wrong way. This is coming from someone that don't really get worked up over what athletes do but that was just 
mean.gif

3 games might seem fair, but if the rules say it's X amount of time, can't be bending the rules just because it's your star player. sends a bad message, especially to kids coming up through the system. tough situation

23-man roster for the Gold Cup dropped today:

U.S. GOLD CUP ROSTER

Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

Defenders (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers)

Midfielders (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Alfredo Morales (FC Ingolstadt), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

WHERE IS HAMID

BREK??

BESLER???

GARZA???

WHY IS BRAD DAVIS THERE???

WHY IS WONDO IN OVER AGUDELO????

WHY IS EVERYTHING IN MY LIFE HORRIBLE 
tired.gif

I feel like the team that played against Germany and The Netherlands (midfielders and forwards) is what this team needs for the Gold Cup .

Wando & Dempsey aren't the players they once were. I'd rather Morris and Wood on the team then those two.

And no Brek Shea?? :smh:

I feel like the team that played against Germany and The Netherlands (midfielders and forwards) is what this team needs for the Gold Cup .

Wando & Dempsey aren't the players they once were. I'd rather Morris and Wood on the team then those two.

And no Brek Shea??
mean.gif
my best friend texted me pretty much the same thing too when the roster was released...

I read the Brek and Garza are nursing injuries... 

I feel like the team that played against Germany and The Netherlands (midfielders and forwards) is what this team needs for the Gold Cup.

My thoughts exactly. Has to be a good reason Morris was left off because all of the coaches seem to be high on him.

man that landon goal. was at my parents house watching with my pops. we both started jumping and yelling. neighbor came over to ask if everyone was OK like two minutes later :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom