:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

kanye-west-and-vuvuzelas-2694-1276640021-17.jpg

anyway la roja is gonna take it all, spain baby!!!

hope they put on a show today, the matches have been pretty slow so far.

To the people blaming the ball, ecept few goalkeepers no one in the Bundesliga, Ligue 1 or in Switzerland were complaining about the ball.
It mostly came from british players who are using in the PL the Nike ball and because of the contract between the FA and Umbro were not allowed
to use the ball untill 2 weeks before kick off.
I blame the more defensive tactics simply you've not seen many shots on goal as usual in championship-games.

Interesting fact : Honduras have three brothers playing on there National Team. Wilson, Jerry, Jhony Palacios.

Chile 4 Honduras 2 (Might be a stretch that Honduras even scores with just Pavon up front, but what the hell
laugh.gif
)
Spain 4 Switzerland 0
RSA 2 Uruguay 1

The game should at least be 2-0 right now. Chile is rusty and just a little off on final passes. Honduras has nothing when they try to attack...it'd be interesting if they had Rambo + Costly though.

Originally Posted by TheGift23

The game should at least be 2-0 right now. Chile is rusty and just a little off on final passes. Honduras has nothing when they try to attack...it'd be interesting if they had Rambo + Costly though.
would make for a way better match.

hope chile is able to play suazo in the next round when it's do or die. 

Valdivia-Matthias Fernandez-Humberto Suazo are the three headed monster if you will.

These forwards aren't good though aside Suazo. They've missed alot of chances and if they don't add a 2nd one soon, they may regret it...

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Possible reasons for low scoring matches:
-tactics...teams have become so defensively oriented in recent years and teams play very predictable styles...4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. You got teams routinely having their strikers come back to defend corners, strikers and attacking midfielders/wings dropping back deep when the team doesnt have the ball, etc. Tactics have become homogeneous.
-altitude...difficult for players to keep their energy levels up in high altitude
-temperature...it's winter time in South Africa which means unpredictable weather...sunny and warm in some cities, rainy in others, freezing in some cities
-strategy...its often said the most crucial thing about the 1st match in tournaments is to avoid losing. It's possible that teams were extra cautious in their opening matches in hopes of getting atleast 1 pt and to get a better feel for the opponents that await them
-lack of preparation...I mentioned a few weeks ago about how poor some of the African teams preparations were going. Countries such as the Ivory Coast only spent about a week together before the start of the WC. Most teams spent 2-3 weeks together so it's possible they arent yet on the same page
-the new ball...it's definitely a factor IMO. Players can not control their shots on goal...I've seen too many shots spin uncontrollably. The fact that we havent seen a free kick goal yet or a long distance goal speaks wonders. As soon as the ball is off the ground it seems like it's going up and its not coming down for another 5 seconds or so
smh.gif
South Africa is at sea level.

Originally Posted by newmoanyuh

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Possible reasons for low scoring matches:
-tactics...teams have become so defensively oriented in recent years and teams play very predictable styles...4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. You got teams routinely having their strikers come back to defend corners, strikers and attacking midfielders/wings dropping back deep when the team doesnt have the ball, etc. Tactics have become homogeneous.
-altitude...difficult for players to keep their energy levels up in high altitude
-temperature...it's winter time in South Africa which means unpredictable weather...sunny and warm in some cities, rainy in others, freezing in some cities
-strategy...its often said the most crucial thing about the 1st match in tournaments is to avoid losing. It's possible that teams were extra cautious in their opening matches in hopes of getting atleast 1 pt and to get a better feel for the opponents that await them
-lack of preparation...I mentioned a few weeks ago about how poor some of the African teams preparations were going. Countries such as the Ivory Coast only spent about a week together before the start of the WC. Most teams spent 2-3 weeks together so it's possible they arent yet on the same page
-the new ball...it's definitely a factor IMO. Players can not control their shots on goal...I've seen too many shots spin uncontrollably. The fact that we havent seen a free kick goal yet or a long distance goal speaks wonders. As soon as the ball is off the ground it seems like it's going up and its not coming down for another 5 seconds or so
smh.gif
South Africa is at sea level.
[font=Verdana,helvetica,arial]Most of South Africa has elevations of over 914m (3,000 ft) and at least 40% of the surface is at an elevation of over 1,220m (4,000 ft). Parts of Johannesburg are 1,829m (6,000 ft) above sea level. [/font]

They have been saying how it has a fairly high elevation all tournament. I specifically remember them saying it would be a problem for the Mexican team because they play at his elevation in Mexico also.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

They have been saying how it has a fairly high elevation all tournament. I specifically remember them saying it would be a problem for the Mexican team because they play at his elevation in Mexico also.
This makes no sense

That Spanish bench is better than most teams in this competition
smh.gif

Hopefully they've saved the best till last.

ive gotten this feeling watching many of the games so far...the second round of games should see alot more scoring as teams feel they need to play to win as opposed to playing not to lose..look at Cote d'Ivoire & Portugal yesterday..i think both teams know they might not beat Brasil but stand a good chance against North Korea..therefore the most important game is with each other, so they sit back and are so cautious not to concede they rarely push players forward..either a goal was going to come on the counterattack, a moment of brilliance (which Ronaldo almost gave) or the game ends in a tie...it was painfully uninspiring..it seems the group will be decided by how many goals each loses to Brasil and how many they win over N. Korea..i hope thats not the case but thats just the feeling i got watching them yesterday...too much talent on either side to be playing this way

chile looked good out there, they just need to exploit their quick play/build up and finish accurately. 

they missed several opportunities inside the box, executing these plays is crucial for them to be able to compete against the higher echelon squads.

They really need Suazo out there. I feel that even if he is there though, they can't compete with the next level. We'll see though.

^ Lol @ the army-knife.

Spain's bench is ridiculous. Serious depth. Hold those guys back... its gonna be a long tournament.

Back
Top Bottom