OFFICIAL Ye fka "kanYe West" x G.O.O.D. Music Thread - ¥$ (AKA YE X TY DOLLA SIGN) - VULTURES (NOW AVAILABLE WOWWWW)

more like the entire song was his :lol:

In all seriousness cats need to stop with this. Fest found the sample/loop and Ye made the beat what it was. Rhymefest wrote the hook, the first line, and came up with the flow.

Everything else on the track was a joint effort. And joint as in Rhyme and Ye wrote a ton of verses and then Ye flipped a lot of it to fit his style and what he felt would sound best on the track. Let Rhymefest explain it himself:

Rapper Che Smith, who goes by the stage name Rhymefest, wrote this song with West. In the February 24, 2006 Guardian newspaper, he said: "Kanye and I grew up together. I found a gospel song by a choir of reformed drug addicts in New York. Even though I'm not a Christian it moved me and the beat was kinda like a rap groove. We jacked the whole song but it came to life when Kanye added the army sounds and made it like God's soldiers. Then the writing began. If you make the verses about Jesus it takes away the power of the chorus, so the verses were the sinner speaking. We got the '******' sound from a Curtis Mayfield song. When we write together we'll listen to a beat and I'll come up with a line and he'll flip it around into something else, then I'll add more lines and before you know it we got a song. Kanye will remember each way we flipped it; he has an ability to memorize. I look at it like this: that was not my record and not Kanye's record; that was a record from the creator to his creations. I'm grateful."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/feb/24/popandrock2

He didn't just sit down and write a song for Kanye who then rapped it and took all the accolades. That's not how working with Kanye (or Drake) works.

But now that he's self-interested and a douche bag Rhyme will never clear that up when people say "he's the one who wrote Jesus Walks" and Kanye doesn't care enough to complain about it. I've explained this to people before that's how A LOT of your favorite rappers write. The difference with Ye and Drake is they're superstars and they do that for whole tracks so people think there's some sort of honor to be had in making struggle songs all on your own.

Rhymefest's original version of the first verse from the song leaked like all of the pre-Late Registration Kanye concepts. It's not a secret: https://genius.com/3898134

Wish it would've been here. And nobody showed up but me and a handful of people. And he showed gratitude by recording a track with me. As no title or album art yet?

I honestly didnt know who Rhymefest was until you cats brought him up in this thread. Dont mean to disrespect a legend if he is one

He has some pretty dope music as well, I'm not sure if he's still actively making music but back then he was one of the better conscious rappers who would stunt on songs from time to time

He has some pretty dope music as well, I'm not sure if he's still actively making music but back then he was one of the better conscious rappers who would stunt on songs from time to time

That Man in the Mirror tape was cool, I forgot the name of the debut album but it had a couple cool tracks on it too

Ye bout to bring that :nthat:
tenor.gif

So if his album fire

Y’all gonna disregard his MAGA moment?

I've separated him as a person from his art for quite a few years now :lol:

He'll still be a jackass for what he did but I still would like good music over anything.

Back
Top Bottom