Officially Official: Jay-Z Stepping Down as Def Jam President

Budden murked him!!11

eyes.gif

I don't know why LL would have a party...his washed up%+*$ can't say records no way...it wouldn't matter if quincy jones(in his prime) himself tookover the presidential reigns and exectuive produced the album
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by chozin87

aight good looks on the Patrick Willis flow

on topic....maybe artists will drop now with promotion, who knows. Maybe everything at Def Jam will be the same, proving he didnt really have a presidential influence. Honestly, I don't expect much to change. To dude who said he broke Jeezy, Rihanna, and Ne-Yo I think we might be overestimating his influence with these artists. From what we saw, he didnt really do much other than one remix verse for all of them We don't really know if he was back there making moves with Jeezy; helping him become a star. All three of them basically got lucky in my opinion, and aren't really that big of stars to where the general public would know who they are or recognize their names
Although I cant say for certain that Jay was the reason for the 3 of their successes, they really are superstars. Rihanna had probably the song of theyear, and Ne-yo is arguably the top cat in the r&b game right now. Jeezy is Jeezy. He has major mainstream appeal. Whether or not Jay was that big of aninfluence, I dont know. But he is the president of the record label that just produced three major stars in his time there.

Dub So Your Responsible For This Filth?????

You shouldn't be able to make another avy ever after creating this debacle... I'M SO DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

I can't believe cats would even question whetherjeezy is a superstar.... (dogs he's in a boost commercial I think he's made it yo, on the otherhand idk whot he white guy that follows him in the commercial is so hey)

so now that jay isnt the president anymore....artists are gonna have to blame someone else....i sometimes think people used jay as a scape goat

artists are gonna have to blame someone else
If the artist at Def Jam begin to recieve more recognized promotion & more albums begin to surface from veteran & up & coming artist& there's still a lack in sufficent sales, only then will I conclude that Jay wasn't the reason for so many artist not currently beingsuccessful. Until then, I'm gonna believe that his inability to seperate himself from being a artist & focusing less on his responsibilites as thePresident was the reason for so many defunked & disgrunteled artist with poor album sales. With that said, I'm glad he's steppin' down. I neverreally supported the idea of him being behind the desk pushin' pens. As a Nas fan, I'm also glad now that Nas doesn't have to have Jay as his bossgiven thier history. I always felt like it was a bonehead move on Esco's part after the "beef" & all that & now knowin' how fickleNas is, it absolutely wouldn't suprise me if eventually some dirt gets thrown on Jay's name some how some way as a result of some issue Nas might havehad for the longest, but couldn't say given his position & Jay's position....

Yeah lets see who the artists blame now because not much will change....and all you guys on here like the artists who were crying and pointing all the blameunfairly at Jay will now see the truth. And truth is that its about business and dollars and cents....if your not marketable you are not going to get promotedlike that...it doesn't matter who is the president.

Forget Def Jam. What's the situation with Jay? He's got one more album on the contract, he stepped down as Presidente...nowwhat? Is he going to drop that last album under the DJ umbrella and actually really retire? After the contract is finish will he go to somewhere else(Univeral) & become an exec there? I don't know about you guys, but I want to see what Jay's next trick is gonna be.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mikehimself23

Forget Def Jam. What's the situation with Jay? He's got one more album on the contract, he stepped down as Presidente...now what? Is he going to drop that last album under the DJ umbrella and actually really retire? After the contract is finish will he go to somewhere else (Univeral) & become an exec there? I don't know about you guys, but I want to see what Jay's next trick is gonna be.
laugh.gif

He's still dropping that album under ROC/DJ he just hasn't thought of a new way to make it ok for him to release another album(
eyes.gif
stupid if you ask me just say you do@%!@ you want) Id say expect it by thesummer of '08 probably BP3 it might be cooked up garbage or an actual gem to end ya contract on.

smokin.gif

I heard before that he might go with Rubin and try to help him with what he's trying to do (change the whole record industry), over at Sony.
I'm kinda glad he stepped down too, because dude was getting blamed, unfairly...you got LA, who's the CEO and nobody ever blamed him, when he has morecontrol than Jay, but hey, that's what happens when you're the figure-head. Now they can blame whoever they want when they flop, but like it or not DJwas probably the most successful hip-hop label these past few years.

1 of the reasons I think some of the rappers blamed him was cuz they looked to him to do right by them, like ight you know how it is being a rapper and gettinshafted when it comes to this n that and how it is gettin ya album handled properly and then they saw him switch up I guess into business mode and ignore themeven his on ROC artists. It clearly wasnt only his fault cuz DJ been doin terrible for a long time but I dont even think Ol Man Jigga woulda made any changesfor the good of hip hop artists there anyway.

smokin.gif

but son...How heavily promoted was American Gangster? There was a few commercials, but he wasn't everywhere like he was on Kingdom Come. People will say"he paired his album with the biggest movie of the year and cross-promoted" but that's false, there was no cross-promotion, I didn't see anymovie commercials promoting the album or anything...he basically had a video out (Blue Magic) then dropped another the day the album came out....so it'snot even like he was heavily promoting his own album.

The Roots & Meth's next album will go Diamond now that they will recieve the right promotion, fans will be flocking to cop their albums.... mark mywords!

All these rappers that have been complaining and crying ever since Jay became President are going to have nobody to blame but themselves now. Most of thosedudes are still going to flop no matter who has the President job, why can't you dudes see that??

1 of the reasons I think some of the rappers blamed him was cuz they looked to him to do right by them, like ight you know how it is being a rapper and gettin shafted when it comes to this n that and how it is gettin ya album handled properly and then they saw him switch up I guess into business mode and ignore them even his on ROC artists.
Now I do agree somewhat with your prespective on this point. I think the artists thought that Jay would look out for them more, whether he did ornot, just because he would understand how the record execs. treat artists when it comes to their projects. They know that Jay knew how record companies can beshady and do you wrong, so I guess they figured with Jay controlling the wheels, things would be different.

C'mon guys, do you really think he was PRESIDENT or just more of a figurehead? I don't think he would've stepped down if he actually had genuinepower within his company.

i think its good for both parties.. i don't think there's any way to tell if the og rappers (LL, Meth, etc.) will sell better now until their albumsdrop and we see how they do. they did get bad marketing and promoting last time they dropped but who knows if with a new president at Def jam that would change

Originally Posted by wuSHUMast3r

C'mon guys, do you really think he was PRESIDENT or just more of a figurehead? I don't think he would've stepped down if he actually had genuine power within his company.

he got placed in that position to bring added value for the label.

it didn't really go as planned, so it's naturally his time to get to steppin'

Definitely interested to see what Jigga's next move will be.

Nets moving to Brooklyn but what else? He's only a minority owner there so he's gotta do something else to keep his name relevant.

Watch album sales slowly but surely decline after Hov's decision and people will really understand that Hov wasn't the problem with rappers on thelabel flopping.

Cool.. Jay raped def jam like he said he would a long time ago and now word is hes gonna start an all digital label with Apple so well see whats his next move

Back
Top Bottom