Officially Retired from sneakers

What's up NikeTalk

Been in this sneaker game since the late 90's, I am 32 years old and sneakers been my life since I was 5 years old. This year I just lost love after the release of the reimagined Jordan 3. I realized how many times am I going to buy the same sneaker? The cycle just continues and continues. Jordan brand releases the Jordan 1 so much I can't stand to look at another pair. They just keep flooding the market, re releasing the same shoe every 5 years and I am sick of it. First time I can honestly say I can not stand shoes. I do not look at release dates, check out sneaker pages, have not opened the snkrs app since 2022 because I am just getting old and been there done that. In my lifetime I went through easily 400 pairs of shoes and since then I am down to 70 pairs. Just air maxes and three pairs of Jordan 1's. Someone just asked me what I have been buying and I straight up told him sneakers just is not my passion no more after 27 years of being my #1 hobby I can finally say I am done.

What really was the last straw is when I got into an altercation with a Sneaker boutique owner while my daughter was with me. This is when they released the playoff 12, the store "Phenom" posted in order to buy the shoe you have to have on a Phenom Hoodie and if you don't you can not buy a pair. I put them on blast on IG saying how I disagreed with that tactic and the owner knew me from previous releases. I come from the old days when you grind out a fcfs and buy the shoe etc.

When I walked into his store to see how they are handling the air max day release he instantly confronted me in a hostile way, while I was with my daughter and I told him I am toooo old for this **** and I left before it got ugly over a damn sneaker release. He could not take criticism. I was honestly shocked and that is when I really realized this is not the love I once had for sneakers. I camped out for sneakers in the early 00's for 13 years straight and it was the best moments of my young life before I had a family of my own.

I do like how everything is back to normal and sneaker store boutiques can not act like royalty every release cus **** is sitting but I am still over it. Now I will let the new generation take over and let them have a chance at my size 11

Peace out NIKETALK.

Arden Mall/downtown plaza sneaker camper OG checking out.
sneakers.jpeg
sneakers 2.jpeg

sneaker cave.png

38 here, my interest in sneakers had dwindled. I have quite a few pairs and outside of a few (dmp 11 and white/red 12) I will not be buying any other shoes this year. I have narrowed my collection down to mainly 11s and 3s, with a few others that I like outside of those models. I can't wear them to work often so it is just on the weekends. When I go get a pair, I tend to wear the same ones even though I easily have more than half my collection are ds pairs. Skipping the recent 3 release (they were white and brown, I forget what the moniker is) was huge for me as I buy every 3 unless they were horrible (these are solid). I realized I would never wear them and shoes fall apart. I will probably look to sell most of my collection next year. The eventual disintegration of sneakers makes this really the only options. I have gotten back into cards and collect a few players from the 90s. This way I am still able to get my nostalgic fix. Cards are much easier to store than sneakers and won't fall apart. I'll keep my favorite jordans but other than that will be moving the rest most likely.

Been into shoes since 97. Started collecting in ‘03. Legit 20yrs at 32. I won’t ever stop because let’s be honest. We need to consume footwear otherwise I’d be barefoot. I’ll likely still gravitate towards brands I grew up on, but my palate expanded over the years.

But I always say I am a sneaker connoisseur —not sneaker head. Buy selectively for purpose. From the combination of seeing a recycled waves of product 3rd go round to a subculture being transformed into big business. I cared less. I can enjoy from afar without purchasing. I still enjoy, casually follow, and buy seldom. Let the youth have it.

. . . I’ll be watching in the rafters
1693493640844.gif

What's up NikeTalk

Been in this sneaker game since the late 90's, I am 32 years old and sneakers been my life since I was 5 years old. This year I just lost love after the release of the reimagined Jordan 3. I realized how many times am I going to buy the same sneaker? The cycle just continues and continues. Jordan brand releases the Jordan 1 so much I can't stand to look at another pair. They just keep flooding the market, re releasing the same shoe every 5 years and I am sick of it. First time I can honestly say I can not stand shoes. I do not look at release dates, check out sneaker pages, have not opened the snkrs app since 2022 because I am just getting old and been there done that. In my lifetime I went through easily 400 pairs of shoes and since then I am down to 70 pairs. Just air maxes and three pairs of Jordan 1's. Someone just asked me what I have been buying and I straight up told him sneakers just is not my passion no more after 27 years of being my #1 hobby I can finally say I am done.

What really was the last straw is when I got into an altercation with a Sneaker boutique owner while my daughter was with me. This is when they released the playoff 12, the store "Phenom" posted in order to buy the shoe you have to have on a Phenom Hoodie and if you don't you can not buy a pair. I put them on blast on IG saying how I disagreed with that tactic and the owner knew me from previous releases. I come from the old days when you grind out a fcfs and buy the shoe etc.

When I walked into his store to see how they are handling the air max day release he instantly confronted me in a hostile way, while I was with my daughter and I told him I am toooo old for this **** and I left before it got ugly over a damn sneaker release. He could not take criticism. I was honestly shocked and that is when I really realized this is not the love I once had for sneakers. I camped out for sneakers in the early 00's for 13 years straight and it was the best moments of my young life before I had a family of my own.

I do like how everything is back to normal and sneaker store boutiques can not act like royalty every release cus **** is sitting but I am still over it. Now I will let the new generation take over and let them have a chance at my size 11

Peace out NIKETALK.

sneakers.jpeg
sneakers 2.jpeg

sneaker cave.png
Curiously how long did it take to dwindle down your collection? I really wish I purged more during COVID with the shoes I’m never going to wear since the afternarket prices on most shoes have tanked now. Great for buyers but a terrible time for a selloff.

The pink COTMs, that's interesting.

I've had my eye on the greens, but I don't know if they're going on sale anytime soon.
They've hit a couple sales. I think they recently hit sale on lapstone. Greens are selling quicker but they can definitely be had under retail.

Pink COTMs, cuz I grew up when the dips was popping like crazy. I will always need a fly pink sneaker.

What's up NikeTalk

Peace out NIKETALK.

sneakers.jpeg
sneakers 2.jpeg

sneaker cave.png
I totally feel you on this. I’ll be 42 next week and while I’m not retiring from sneakers, I have shifted what I buy. I’ve cut down buying retro J’s big time. I mainly focus on newer models like Lukas, Tatums, Zions and now the 38’s. I‘ve always loved copping the newer models. I get more joy now with Lukas more then the retros. I know rocking the new models is not what’s hot in the streets but I personally could care less. I wear what I like.

No way I could narrow it down to five. Maybe 20 at best and would still struggle to make the final decision.
What if it wasn’t a choice?

Your soon to be ex-wife is taking everything in the divorce, but says she’ll let you pick out five pairs from your collection to keep before she gives the rest to her new boyfriend.

Or the bank is about to foreclose on your house and you need to sell off every you have in order to make the payment.

Or you’re having penis enlargement surgery and your insurance won’t cover it.

…Some kind of extreme situation like that.

What if it wasn’t a choice?

Your soon to be ex-wife is taking everything in the divorce, but says she’ll let you pick out five pairs from your collection to keep before she gives the rest to her new boyfriend.

Or the bank is about to foreclose on your house and you need to sell off every you have in order to make the payment.

Or you’re having penis enlargement surgery and your insurance won’t cover it.

…Some kind of extreme situation like that.
Y8Vt.gif

Lucky to have zero issues when it comes to your examples.

Glad you didn't give us a "holier than thou" take like others. I understand your issues. I never went hard on buying shoes so I consider myself a picky collector. The older I get, the more I'm okay with missing out on certain shoes that I like. Whether it's because I don't hit on a raffle, I realize that it doesn't go with any outfits, or I just like it, but don't love it. I find myself skipping wild colored sneakers too even I do really dig the design/CW. Also, I've slowly been veering towards picking up nice running shoes that I like the look of or love the tech behind it. I have an active job and I jog so naturally, my lifestyle has guided me in that direction. And damn, it feels really nice to feel or experience some new cushioning that exceeds your expectations or performs different than any other shoe you have.

With all that said, I still can understand how others choose to buy what they want without letting trivial things hold them back such as other people's opinions or some sort of forced maturation mindset.

Damn OP.

I was at the Arden mall for every release I bought from the Old Love New Love pack to the Concord 11’s that restarted this whole craze.

I’ve been falling off Jordan’s heavy lately as well, but NT will always be a place for me.

Back
Top Bottom