Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I never thought I'd see the day where building expectations for a film based on the track record of the talent involved would be painted as a bad thing.

Last edited:
Fox shows suck... I just tried watching Gang Related... I won't be watching that ever again..

Never watched the original 24 because once I heard Kiefer say, "In the name of the President of the United States, I order you to..." I stopped watching.

I tried watching the new show, the first ep & again won't be watching that show...

Fox has got to stop hiring guys that write & direct music videos...

Why can't they get some of the F/X guys to do Fox shows.... Suits.... :smh:

I never thought I'd see the day where building expectations for a film based on the track record of the talent involved would be painted as a bad thing.
You still haven't.

But trying to paint the experience of one person seeing a 7 and being disappointed as similar to another person seeing that same 7 and feeling entertained... nah, that's not gonna fly.

Someone pointing that out, pointing out that the first person's 7 isn't the same as the second person's 7, that's not calling the first guy's perspective a bad thing, but if you didn't understand that after reading the dialogue, then I'm POSITIVE you don't understand it being explained in this reply. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Will yall shut up? :lol:

Ska, I'm on your side, I thought Public Enemies was great. Depp was fantastic, and it was a good 'ol classic gangsters film. I thought it was excellent. Slow burn, but excellent.

Ones personal expectations should not be a standard for everyone. If I expect something to be great, that doesn't mean everyone else should. Even if it's the overwhelming majority thinking a film will be good (like in the case of Interstellar for example), and it turns out to be not that great, it doesn't mean people aren't allowed to enjoy the film regardless of their expectations.

That's film. Someone's most hated film can be another persons favorite.

Last edited:
And you'll have to forgive me for not being able to dumb things down enough for you to understand.

(btw, before you go "See? Patronizing", I don't really believe I need to dumb things down for you. I'm fully confident you believe that horsecrap you just sent, though.)

Like I said, I listed a movie as one of Depp's best, got laughed at for it, defended my position that my positive image of the movie is not the same as someone else's disappointment, and I'm getting interpreted as going against 'movie snobs' (not my phrase) and that I'm being patronizing. :lol:

Last edited:
Fox shows suck... I just tried watching Gang Related... I won't be watching that ever again..

Never watched the original 24 because once I heard Kiefer say, "In the name of the President of the United States, I order you to..." I stopped watching.

I tried watching the new show, the first ep & again won't be watching that show...

Fox has got to stop hiring guys that write & direct music videos...

Why can't they get some of the F/X guys to do Fox shows.... Suits.... :smh:
Cuz Fox is on a national network. Not a cable channel. Gotta appeal to a broader base.

That's why they have FX and FXX. That raw comedy, those compelling tv series, etc. and I'm actually trying to defend them and think of a good show they have but can't drum up anything other than liking New Girl which is a comedy. Cosmos is cool but not really what we're talking about. I'm sure there's at least one or two 1 hr shows I watch but they're not coming to mind right now :lol: :smh: They do need to do a bit better.

But yeah Gang Related did not do it for me. I think I was in and out on Thurs and tried to watch again Fri before Hannibal and I still found myself missing different parts of it cuz it did not hold my interest (combine the two days and I saw the whole ep though :lol: ).

I love Bob's Burgers and I liked the Brooklyn 9-9 I've seen.

Saw a couple eps of Sleepy Hollow. I liked it, it's on my list.

And I heard Almost Human was good, but it got cancelled right?

Last edited:

Yeah Almost Human got the ax. It did okay ratings wise but was an expensive show; I enjoyed it though.

Gave Sleepy Hollow a chance not expecting anything, but it quickly grew on me.

Nicole Beharie is
devil.gif
and the god John Noble is in a few episodes.
pimp.gif

The season finale had me doing the Wee-Bey gif.
laugh.gif

Love Bob's Burgers and Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Louise.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Gina.
laugh.gif
devil.gif

See all that's really coming to mind is comedies and that's not a bad thing but if I want that :wow: or :pimp: type show I'm going to AMC for MM or HBO for GoT or FX for the Americans or NBC for Hannibal.

Almost Human was good and is cancelled. I admitedly just couldn't keep up with the show.

I tried Sleepy Hollow but I'm just not digging it even with the fine leading lady.

I think too often that people try to make comparisons all too often without ever letting something sit on it's own merit. If compared to other movies, Public Enemy doesn't measure up. Having said that however, I think it's a solid movie in it's own right. Solid acting, ok story, ok script in the hands of a solid director. Also the cast is phenomenal. It's the first movie where I noticed Jason Clarke who up until today I didn't know was Australian. Damn, he does a decent Chicagoan accent...
Jason Clarke is right there with Jason Isaacs on my list of favorite actors 
nthat.gif

Do you know what has always bothered me about movies filled with destruction... who cleans up the mess afterwards?

Those Power Rangers used to destroy everything in sight in Angel Grove. And they always showed them happy after victories, but what about those poor buildings they crushed. Were anyone livin in those buildings? Did they receive compensation for their losses? Did anyone die? How were the bodies identified? Were relatives notified? Did anyone file a missing persons report?

You can replace Power Rangers with any movie, that just happened to be fhe 1st to pop in mind. Like in Independence Day how'd they get rid of all of thise alien ships they destroyed. So many unanswered questions

^ You probably shouldn't watch Man of Steel, or Godzilla. 
laugh.gif

I think the same thing, though. I mostly think about repairs. Like, I always reference back to 9/11, how long that took to repair, and that was relatively minimal compared to what we see in movies. Like I imagine "I'm pretty sure if this were real life, there'd be like a 'Monster Proof' building code or something. Nothing over, say, 5 stories. No more skyscrapers. Why build them? All the time it takes to build them, and how many people come to rely on them for work/home, wiped out w/ 1 swipe from a giant lizard. 
laugh.gif

^ You probably shouldn't watch Man of Steel, or Godzilla. :lol:

and just as I read this Superman just destroyed that poor iHop. So you're telling I can't get my pancakes for a few years now!! :smh: :lol:

also Lois Lane is so damn hideous.

Last edited:
I assume mad casualties. I also figure since they usually get destroyed in extraordinary ways, some construction company out there got the rebuilding tech. That's be a good indie film idea...The Rebuilders. Superheroes destroy the city and they clean it up. Could be funny lol.

Finished BB last night |I but :pimp: .

-Had the hitch that Walt would die, just didn't know how. Bittersweet to see him go in a lab where he felt most alive for the entire series.
-Glad Jesse went on his way. I knew damn well he couldn't go through with shooting Walt.
-:smokin at the trunk of the car gun contraption that offed the crew.
-Hit me right in the feels that Walt wasn't able to say bye to Walt Jr. face to face.
-Couldn't stand Lydia. Knew right away her tea was poisoned, was just waiting on the confirmation scene.

I binge watched the show, so that right there can testify to how much I enjoyed it. Definitely up there in my tops of all time that I've seen.

Last edited:
40 year old virgin is on. Haven't seen it in a while and forgot how funny this joint is. :lol:

I remember going to see this in the movies by myself. Laughed the whole same time. :lol:

Finished BB last night
tired.gif
but
pimp.gif
-Had the hitch that Walt would die, just didn't know how. Bittersweet to see him go in a lab where he felt most alive for the entire series.
-Glad Jesse went on his way. I knew damn well he couldn't go through with shooting Walt.
-
smokin.gif
at the trunk of the car gun contraption that offed the crew.
-Hit me right in the feels that Walt wasn't able to say bye to Walt Jr. face to face.
-Couldn't stand Lydia. Knew right away her tea was poisoned, was just waiting on the confirmation scene.
I binge watched the show, so that right there can testify to how much I enjoyed it. Definitely up there in my tops of all time that I've seen.
- He HAD to die in a lab; could be no other way. The entire premise of the show was that this innocent, incredibly average John Doe... broke bad. And the means to catapult himself from average income to wealthy, from average John Doe to an FBI most known/wanted... was through... *ahem* *air quotes*... "lab work." HAD to go out in a lab.

- In real life, Walt Jr would hold his deceased father in disdain, never knowing the truth, never knowing how much Walt loved his family and wanted to leave them w/ more than could be provided by 'average guy gets cancer, dies.' Walt Jr would never know.

- The way this show finished is the reason it's atop LOST for me. The character development through the 1st season of LOST is what got me hooked, and the story through the first 4 seasons. But even as a huge LOST fan, it ended extra bogus. BB went out in style, w/ a nice close to the story. I would have stood up and applauded the finale, but I was by myself, so...
Are there any regulars in here who HAVEN'T seen Breaking Bad, or have, but didn't really like it?

Last edited:
- He HAD to die in a lab; could be no other way. The entire premise of the show was that this innocent, incredibly average John Doe... broke bad. And the means to catapult himself from average income to wealthy, from average John Doe to an FBI most known/wanted... was through... *ahem* *air quotes*... "lab work." HAD to go out in a lab.

- In real life, Walt Jr would hold his deceased father in disdain, never knowing the truth, never knowing how much Walt loved his family and wanted to leave them w/ more than could be provided by 'average guy gets cancer, dies.' Walt Jr would never know.

- The way this show finished is the reason it's atop LOST for me. The character development through the 1st season of LOST is what got me hooked, and the story through the first 4 seasons, but even as a huge LOST fan, it ended extra bogus. BB went out in style, w/ a nice close to the story. I would have stood up and applauded the finale, but I was by myself, so...

Are there any regulars in here who HAVEN'T seen Breaking Bad, or have, but didn't really like it?

I have not seen a single episode of Breaking Bad in its entirety. I plan to watch the whole series at some point, but I don`t know when it will happen

Back
Top Bottom