Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Damien Chazelle's follow-up to Whiplash. This looks interesting even if it's a musical... Hits theaters in Dec...

^ Emma Stone =
embarassed.gif

Wonder if Gos-gawd had a taste

Would've been better if they got riff raff for the role instead of franco dressed as riff raff.

I like musicals so I'm down for that one.

And I liked Spring Breakers too 
laugh.gif

Tell me to pick my top ten movies since 2000 and it does not make my list, though.

wilson fisk outchea. looks interesting. first ring creeped me out. will probably watch and sleep with the light on for a week :smh: |I

I think I may have told this story in here before. But I saw the first Ring in the theater and distinctly remember getting home and the phone rang (an actual land line; not a cell - the old days of the early 2000s) and I was legit scared to answer it for fear of hearing " . . . seven days . . . " I did not pick up.

So, I was listening to the radio this morning and the show I had on was asking listeners if its ok to quote lines from movies you've never seen. My mind was completely blown by the concept. I would never quote a movie I haven't seen (and its kind of a non-issue for me anyway since I see so many movies - but still). Apparently, there's a whole generation of people out there running around saying "Bye, Felicia" who have never seen Friday. That just seems wrong.
My immediate reaction is no. That's dumb as hell and sounds like something done by lame posers just following a trend just to fit in.

After some further thought, I'd say it depends on exactly how iconic the line is. For example, "Luke, I am your father." (or a variation of it) is something I naturally heard in the mainstream since I was a kid before I saw ESB. I knew of the twist and what it meant way before. Quoting that doesn't seem all that wrong when it's so prevalent. Of course I did see the trilogy not long after.

The whole generation of ppl saying "Bye Felicia" thing is what I referred to in my immediate reaction.

Last edited:
My immediate reaction is no. That's dumb as he'll and sounds like something done by lame posers just following a trend just to fit in.

After some further thought, I'd say it depends on exactly how iconic the line is. For example, "Luke, I am your father." (or a variation of it) is something I naturally heard in the mainstream since I was a kid before I saw ESB. I knew of the twist and what it meant way before. Quoting that doesn't seem all that wrong when it's so prevalent. Of course I did see the trilogy not long after.

The whole generation of ppl saying "Bye Felicia" thing is what I referred to in my immediate reaction.

Yeah, I suppose it is contextual. "Luke, I am your father" has been quoted, re-quoted, satirized, etc. so much in pop culture that it has taken on a life of its own outside of the specific Star Wars movies. Another one that was mentioned on the show I was listening too that may be close to that category is "say hello to my little friend!" That one is just kind of out there even if you've never seen Scarface or even know what it is. But there are very few movie quotes that have that kind of iconic status.

So, I guess my position is that a personal generally should see a movie before quoting a line/lines from it, but there are a few, limited exceptions.

wilson fisk outchea. looks interesting. first ring creeped me out. will probably watch and sleep with the light on for a week :smh: |I

I think I may have told this story in here before. But I saw the first Ring in the theater and distinctly remember getting home and the phone rang (an actual land line; not a cell - the old days of the early 2000s) and I was legit scared to answer it for fear of hearing " . . . seven days . . . " I did not pick up.

r. i. p. watch vip tickets show up at your door mysteriously :nerd:

Ya'll keep talking about the ring, The Blair Witch trips me out. I was shook to go in my basement for years following that. I like in MD btw so that made it more messed up for me. Also the Blair Witch twitter page keeps following me.

:smh:

Ya'll keep talking about the ring, The Blair Witch trips me out. I was shook to go in my basement for years following that. I like in MD btw so that made it more messed up for me. Also the Blair Witch twitter page keeps following me.

:smh:

Oh, I didn't say Blair Witch didn't get to me as well. Most definitely slept with the light on after that one.

Your top 5 sitcoms

Mine

1. Seinfeld
2. Fresh Prince
3. Big Bang Theory
4. That 70's Show
5 A. Saved By The Bell
5 B. Everybody Love Raymond

Back
Top Bottom