Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Interesting.......even with all the options, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ etc, world box office broke the record in 2019 with 42.5 billion.

11.4 domestic
31.1 international

First year in history International broke 30.

Dunno if it means anything, but interesting.

Interesting.......even with all the options, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ etc, world box office broke the record in 2019 with 42.5 billion.

11.4 domestic
31.1 international

First year in history International broke 30.

Dunno if it means anything, but interesting.

That’s a very interesting fact. I would never have guessed that. Looking at the biggest box office draws of the year and it’s riddled with marvel movies and Disney remakes.

im not really a fan of either so that kinda sucks because Hollywood will keep churning those out like hot cakes. I guess it’s not reasonable to expect a year full of Django Unchained type movies though.

I mean, Joker did numbers as a rated R movie but that’s still comic book territory. Wouldn’t have even been popular At all. if it was just a story about a random person with mental illness.

long story short: I don’t have the answers sway. /rant.

Watching Philadelphia for the first time.

source-9.gif

Always great running into gif origins unexpectedly.

I loved Marriage Story but the last thing i came away with was how great Laura Dern was as a divorce lawyer. She's winning multiple awards for it.

I dont get it. Must be a super weak year for the supporting actress category.

Anyone checking this Outsider show on HBO tonight? Sounds True Detective-ish from the synopsis.
Definitely in.

Sounds way past TD to me. Has a supernatural or sci-fi edge to it.

I loved Marriage Story but the last thing i came away with was how great Laura Dern was as a divorce lawyer. She's winning multiple awards for it.

her monologue got standing ovations from theater screenings from what I hear. It’s basically the only reason why she’s winning :lol:

Definitely in.

Sounds way past TD to me. Has a supernatural or sci-fi edge to it.

Yeah you right. I only read the quick synopsis on the TV guide, but then I watched the trailer and saw that it's Stephen King :lol:

Last edited:

I thought she did a great job but her monologues felt MAD outta place during the film. They gave her that depth in the middle of nothing. Like, it could have been cut and it wouldn’t have changed anything about the story.
Just thought it was odd and stuck out, especially because Scarlette Johansons didn’t even respond or get shown any sort of emotion. It was “lemme rant for a couple minutes without context and we’ll just cut to the next scene like it never happened.”

Man, have you guys seen Parasite?

Oh my God man, what a film.
Every scene is pretty. This is such a cool view. He's made each scene look so real it reminds me of a Pixar or computer generated type of Film.
Not to mention the story itself is Nice.
This is some really dope filmaking.

I've always heard good things about Bong Joon Ho.
My man balled out with this one here.

All Oscar Nominations

Looks like Uncut Gems got all the snubs. Haven’t seen it yet.

Every scene is pretty. This is such a cool view. He's made each scene look so real it reminds me of a Pixar or computer generated type of Film.

already one of my favorite movies of all time. I hope it wins best picture. If Irishman cleans house at the Oscars, I’m done with movies :lol:

Saoirse Ronan is young I think early 20’s and I feel like she’s nominated every other year in a major acting category.. if it’s not scar joe it’s her’s to win and dam at uncut gems being left off everything

giphy.gif

Well all discovered the amazement of Parasite in here :lol: my only tick is that being in America it’ll win best foreign film for the Oscars but wouldn’t be nominated for best picture overall which I believe it can contend tough for it.

1917 7/8

An amazing war movie. WW1 is rarely touched but very important in modern history. And this is sourced mostly from the autobiography of director Mendes’ grandfather. We know the context of being in war but the fact that it signifies a single day of war we can go in and out of the movie knowing that the story of Blake, Scholfield and the message is just one of thousands that were told throughout the war. Starting and ending beside a tree in the pastures of France.

A little different compared to getting the feeling that the war was won solely thru Tom Hanks & Co in Saving Private Ryan since we see the end of the cemetery with old man Ryan for example.

Mendes’ style came in with his shots. Recreating a night mode with fire like he did at the end of Skyfall. Jarhead had one too I believe. I’m a sucker for made to look one shot/one take films but i would be content if it won best pic

Well all discovered the amazement of Parasite in here :lol: my only tick is that being in America it’ll win best foreign film for the Oscars but wouldn’t be nominated for best picture overall which I believe it can contend tough for it.

1917 7/8

An amazing war movie. WW1 is rarely touched but very important in modern history. And this is sourced mostly from the autobiography of director Mendes’ grandfather. We know the context of being in war but the fact that it signifies a single day of war we can go in and out of the movie knowing that the story of Blake, Scholfield and the message is just one of thousands that were told throughout the war. Starting and ending beside a tree in the pastures of France.

A little different compared to getting the feeling that the war was won solely thru Tom Hanks & Co in Saving Private Ryan since we see the end of the cemetery with old man Ryan for example.

Mendes’ style came in with his shots. Recreating a night mode with fire like he did at the end of Skyfall. Jarhead had one too I believe. I’m a sucker for made to look one shot/one take films but i would be content if it won best pic

Can you explain the night transition with the flare? Did the Germans light the flare purposely so they can see the enemy better or?

Back
Top Bottom