Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Opening scene was sharp.
Whoever he got to do the MUSIC needs more work.
From the song used for opening credits to the next 5songs at the 5minute in mark, they’re cooking with grease. Excited to watch.

Boy and Heron - 6/8. Visual and audio feast and hits the usual Miyazaki notes. Doesn't reach Spirited Away, despite having a ton of similarities, which still sits at #1 from Miyazaki for me. Really was impressed by the art; like from scene 1 this thing was captivating.

Godzilla Minus One - 7.5/8. VISUAL AND AUDIO FEAST. God DAMN was this good. The melodramatic presentation/acting was what really pushed this into the "good and fun" category, and still had a ton of earned emotional depth. The technical side of the film was peak. Truly an experience and I'm so glad I caught this in IMax. Despite the man diagonal from me that smelled like he **** his pants and the group of teenagers that quite obviously hotboxed their car before the movie. This film was engaging like no other theater film I've seen this year.

I give Godzilla Minus One a 5.75/8.
The Godzilla scenes were awesome and they did a decent job of giving interesting human characters for once but the pacing really brung it down to me and it dragged a lot with some of the human subplots to where I got disinterested a lot. It wasn’t bad and it was great to see on IMAX the Godzilla scenes you got but a little bummed it didn’t live up to the hype for me.
It was a late showing and I got out at 1AM so that might affect how I felt about it but I did expect a little more.

Currently, first time:

IMG_2062.jpeg

I really think my new policy will be one trailer for movies I'm excited about...

When I obsess over a movie coming out and watch every trailer and read up all about it and hype it up and then it's average or subpar. That's far worse than if I didn't think about the movie at all until I saw it

That's how Napoleon was for me... I saw the trailer and I said yep. I want to see it. Didn't think about it until I stepped into the theater and my disappointment was far lower than if I was excited about it

Reviews for Wonka have been positive so far as well. Same director as Paddington so the positive reviews have me more excited to see it

My previews today were new Planet of the Apes, Argyle, The Beekeeper, and Aquaman.

Argyle and Beekeeper look like so much fun.

Just got back from Napoleon

Really hope the extended cut is better
I really think my new policy will be one trailer for movies I'm excited about...

When I obsess over a movie coming out and watch every trailer and read up all about it and hype it up and then it's average or subpar. That's far worse than if I didn't think about the movie at all until I saw it

That's how Napoleon was for me... I saw the trailer and I said yep. I want to see it. Didn't think about it until I stepped into the theater and my disappointment was far lower than if I was excited about it

Reviews for Wonka have been positive so far as well. Same director as Paddington so the positive reviews have me more excited to see it
Trailer was good I thought, but we wanted to see a Bonaparte movie and we did, with Joaquin nonetheless. The scene with the Russian Czar/ice was amazing.

Leave the World Behind....aka The Happening 2, with better acting.

This dance scene will scar me for life. I need to watch Pretty Woman asap to forget all about this. :smh:

the whale - 8/8

bravo. what a performance by a fraser, sink, and chau. story was emotional. decisions are made we regret or wish could of been handled better. some scars never heal. “i dont believe anyone can save anyone”. what a line.

Trailer was good I thought, but we wanted to see a Bonaparte movie and we did, with Joaquin nonetheless. The scene with the Russian Czar/ice was amazing.
It had some good parts, but I'm convinced it was either butchered in the editing process or Scott didn't know what movie he wanted to direct.

It felt a mix of Amadeus/Death of Stalin comedy/drama about this eccentric character, then a action biopic, and then a examination of the man through his relationship. I don't think all three were possible in one movie. I think trying to sell the studio on a multi-part movie or a trilogy or something would have been impossible.. honestly this should have been a miniseries.

They needed to focus on just one thing.. one part of his life.. it's INSANE they tried to squeeze in all of Napoleon into one movie AND gave us all of his drama with his wife.

It needs a 4.5 hour Ridley Scott director's cut or an HBO Max 8 part series

big j 33 big j 33 They focused too much, way too much, on the Kirby relationship, even after. That can be a huge part but they made it basically the main part of the movie. We came to see a Napoleon movie which emphasizes more him being adept at war.

Also when he came back from relegation and got the French soldiers “on his side” just because one regiment joined him was yada yada’d.

This lil girl in The Whale...
🤬

But then I meet the mom...

I could write a strong thesis on so many of the elements that this movie touches on, especially the emotional immaturity of the mom and her intentional estrangement between daughter & dad.

the whale - 8/8

bravo. what a performance by a fraser, sink, and chau. story was emotional. decisions are made we regret or wish could of been handled better. some scars never heal. “i dont believe anyone can save anyone”. what a line.
The more I think about it, this is a 'parental estrangement' movie more than anything else.
And I'm here for it.

Back
Top Bottom