Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

In 2010 this man broke into the Museum of Modern Art In FRANCE and stole 100million worth of paintings. Five to be exact. He did 8years and went free. They never recovered the paintings and the man he fenced them to never paid him and supposedly destroyed the paintings, and he is also now Free walking around FRANCE, alive.
How does a museum with Billions in Art get burglarized in 2010? What the **** kind of security they had?

Unreal Story.

So Iā€™ve been trying to branch out to genres Iā€™ve often ignored and Iā€™ve been on a war movie kick lately. That led me to finally giving in and Iā€™ve been watching Band of Brothers. Iā€™m 7 episodes in and not only does it hold up but it is easily one of the best shows Iā€™ve ever watched. I know as far as ratings itā€™s pretty widely praised but I donā€™t see enough people including it in their GOAT shows and I think largely itā€™s because people arenā€™t into media depicting war (which I totally get).

Anyways, amazing show and I think Iā€™ll do a few more WW themed movies afterwards and then want to finally branch out into more modern warfare movies. Anyone have good recommendations? I saw Black Hawk Down when it first released when I was in middle school so that will be one I revisit. Also need to finally watch American Sniper & Hurt Locker. Are there anymore standout modern war movies that really delve into the gray area that is war?

So Iā€™ve been trying to branch out to genres Iā€™ve often ignored and Iā€™ve been on a war movie kick lately. That led me to finally giving in and Iā€™ve been watching Band of Brothers. Iā€™m 7 episodes in and not only does it hold up but it is easily one of the best shows Iā€™ve ever watched. I know as far as ratings itā€™s pretty widely praised but I donā€™t see enough people including it in their GOAT shows and I think largely itā€™s because people arenā€™t into media depicting war (which I totally get).

Anyways, amazing show and I think Iā€™ll do a few more WW themed movies afterwards and then want to finally branch out into more modern warfare movies. Anyone have good recommendations? I saw Black Hawk Down when it first released when I was in middle school so that will be one I revisit. Also need to finally watch American Sniper & Hurt Locker. Are there anymore standout modern war movies that really delve into the gray area that is war?
This one sadly has escaped me. I need to fix that for sure.

In 2010 this man broke into the Museum of Modern Art In FRANCE and stole 100million worth of paintings. Five to be exact. He did 8years and went free. They never recovered the paintings and the man he fenced them to never paid him and supposedly destroyed the paintings, and he is also now Free walking around FRANCE, alive.
How does a museum with Billions in Art get burglarized in 2010? What the **** kind of security they had?

Unreal Story.

The art world is just a big scam it wild check out these 3 if you haven't

This one sadly has escaped me. I need to fix that for sure.
1000%
Initially I was blown away because it legitimately doesnā€™t look like it is a 23 year old show. Obviously the subject matter is dated but to me the show looks like it was filmed within the last decade. Itā€™s historically accurate and I like the interviews with the real life Easy company to kick off each episode to kind of give their experience/perspective on the events depicted in the upcoming episode. And it goes from their time at basic training all the way through their European campaign.

An initial turnoff for me was the lack of a traditional ā€œmainā€ character but Iā€™ve been watching an episode a night and after a few days I appreciated that you get better acquainted with the whole company this way. It better sells how bonded the company was because you see interactions with the same soldiers from different perspectives. You get to see the unit as individuals and not necessarily as ā€œcharactersā€. And they did an amazing job of casting cause there is a lot of actors that went on to be huge. Iā€™m not really a big names person but this show had David Schwimmer during the height of Friends, as well as minor roles for the likes of up and coming people such as Simon Pegg, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Colin Hanks, Jimmy Fallon, and Tom Hardy. Iā€™m sure there are more recognizable and ā€œhey itā€™s that guyā€ for yā€™all but those are the people I knew.

I just knocked out episode 8 and I will put the run of episodes 6-8 as among the best 3 episode stretch of a tv show Iā€™ve ever seen. Not even finished with it and itā€™s probably gonna land behind The Wire as my #2 show. I could go on but yeah, this show is šŸ”„

Stop! Don't move on from WWII yet!

Watch The Pacific. It's the follow up to BoB. It's a very, very different tone and pace, but it reflects the atmosphere of the island hopping campaign, which was very different from the European theater. It's more brutal and visceral than Band of Brothers. Rami Malek has a huge role, and was kind of his mini-breakout. Knew he'd do some things after that performance.

As for movies: one that might be off your radar, but certainly fits, is Casablanca. It was released as WWII was really ramping up. Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains, Peter Lorre, etc. It's a phenomenal movie, and one of my top three of all time.

Also, this is not a spoiler, but there is a very powerful scene where the patrons in the bar sing the French national anthem. Some of the extras in the bar were real French ex-pats of Nazi-occupied France who made it to the US.

Stop! Don't move on from WWII yet!

Watch The Pacific. It's the follow up to BoB. It's a very, very different tone and pace, but it reflects the atmosphere of the island hopping campaign, which was very different from the European theater. It's more brutal and visceral than Band of Brothers. Rami Malek has a huge role, and was kind of his mini-breakout. Knew he'd do some things after that performance.

As for movies: one that might be off your radar, but certainly fits, is Casablanca. It was released as WWII was really ramping up. Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains, Peter Lorre, etc. It's a phenomenal movie, and one of my top three of all time.

Also, this is not a spoiler, but there is a very powerful scene where the patrons in the bar sing the French national anthem. Some of the extras in the bar were real French ex-pats of Nazi-occupied France who made it to the US.

I donā€™t know why but Iā€™ve struggled with The Pacific. BoB is the greatest television Iā€™ve ever seen and Iā€™ve watched it multiple times - but I keep getting most of the way through The Pacific and then not finishing.

Masters of the Air which is on Apple right now though is very good - not quite as good again but very close.

Then youā€™ll be wanting The Great Escape.

Leslie Mann has looked the exact same since Big Daddy. Woman got that Paul Rudd serum. Not saying sheā€™s Jlo, but she looks great for 51
IMG_3890.jpeg

Watch The Pacific.

As for movies: one that might be off your radar, but certainly fits, is Casablanca. .
The Pacific is definitely on the list and Iā€™ll add Casablanca to the list too

Fury with Brad Pitt, Jon Berenthal, Shia LeBeouf, and others is really, really good. It follows a tank team in WWII.
This was honestly probably the next movie I was going to watch cause itā€™s still set in WWII and it leaves Netflix at the end of the month. Iā€™m normally indecisive when it comes to movies because there are so many options. I usually look up all the movies leaving the streaming platforms I have in a particular month and prioritize watching the ones I havenā€™t seen. Makes it easier to decide what to watch cause itā€™s a much smaller group to choose from
ADVERTISEMENT​

I do the same, but thatā€™s one that has so much more to it than maybe what youā€™d think Iā€™d give it a shot.

The French art heist won me over with it being a doc movie rather than a doc series :lol: call me washed but the series trend is draining

The French art heist won me over with it being a doc movie rather than a doc series :lol: call me washed but the series trend is draining
Yea I like for them to tell the story in 90minutes or less instead of 1-6 episodes
Knocked out about 20docs in the last 30days.
Every watch I am equally shocked by the content I just watched.
ONETASTE

They never get old these CULTS
Legit thinking about starting one myslef.
Ordering Jody Raynsford Book on TAPE, going to learn the process for sure.

Not washed. These subjects don't have enough substance to justify a 6 hour retelling vs a 2 hour. Imagine something like Man on Wire being a series; it would suck. 1.5 hours tho? Perfect time to capture and convey the story of this psychopath tightrope walking the Twin Towers.

Listened to Eugene Levy on NPR today. Honest to god I had no idea the voice he uses in MOST his movies is not his real voice/accent. He has a very distinct Jewish sounding voice in his movies. Like New York Orthodox Jewish voice.

In radio he sounds like your average old midwestern man. Didnā€™t even know he was Canadian :lol:

I was super mixed on the first oneā€¦ that it was ā€˜darkā€™ was in the tone I wanted, but it was overdone in not an entertaining way, Keoghan as the Joker will bring me back.

I ranked the Batman movies earlier this year for my students. Let's just say The Batman was close to the bottom of the list :lol:

It wasn't a bad movie by any means. Just felt like a standard film noir with Batman elements slapped on it.

The list, btw:

1. Batman 1989
2. Mask of the Phantasm
3. Dark Knight
4. Batman 1966
5. Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman Begins
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman Returns (hot take? Maybe I should put this last to bring back Bronson Bronson )
9. Batman & Robin
10. The Batman
11. Batman v. Superman

Back
Top Bottom