Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I'm glad there's not going to be an excessive delay or question about Dune 3. Complete the trilogy. as it was written

Monkey Man is intense... like not a fully gummy intense, should have taken half and been chill. The action was frenzied and creative, the movie went down weird paths I didn't expect in the filmmaking and sequences. It was far more creative than I expected, had real heart and emotion and was different. It's got something to say while entertaining and taking you on a ride.

I'm glad there's not going to be an excessive delay or question about Dune 3. Complete the trilogy. as it was written

Monkey Man is intense... like not a fully gummy intense, should have taken half and been chill. The action was frenzied and creative, the movie went down weird paths I didn't expect in the filmmaking and sequences. It was far more creative than I expected, had real heart and emotion and was different. It's got something to say while entertaining and taking you on a ride.
Is Monkey Man more in the realm of The Raid, or John Wick? Want to watch either way, but want to set my expectations on what to expect.

Definitely.. it takes a bit to get going, but once it does then that was the immediate thought I had. Just spiraled and spiraled.

I will say I don't know if I was too close to the screen or just too high but some of the shaky cam action scenes were a bit too much for me.

First time and I dug this
1712296257736.jpeg

But I’m a huge Jackie Chan fan so it’s hard for me dislike a movie of his

Who asked for this???

There's legit no need for any sequels after the last entry, story wise that well has run dry

The one released during the pandemic was an atrocity. Feel like none of the movies released after the first one were that good or necessary.

Anyone seen The Bad Batch? Only put it on cause of Keanu Reeves, Jim Carrey and Jason Mamoa.

Hard as hell to finish, this movie blows.

Last edited:
What’s the metric you’re using to determine a “hit”? Profit? Reviews? Awards? Just curious cause I’m a pretty big Pixar fan and I personally feel they’ve been consistently releasing hits ever other movie for over a decade now

I guess their streak of consistency of great films. Particularly noticeable in the 2020's where it seems like there streak is broken and they been more serviceable than great imo
they still alright but I noticed when Cars 2 dropped that was the first, “Okay.”, movie from them imo

Just to note I don’t think they make any bad films at all, but, with movies like lightyear and toy story 4 (I thought 4 was honestly not needed) i think it’s clear they are out of their, "Golden Age". Lightyear in particular was the first real big flop I seen from them both from a box office and the reviews were middling. The good ideas are still there, but I think with the yearly release schedule and Disney constantly pressuring them to sequel bait there streak was bound to be broken and after awhile they've had more movies that are more serviceable than great to me unlike their first run.

Which is fine, the run they had for 11ish films was basically perfect and hard to beat I just can't expect them to have a real banger every year now. Anything of the quality of Inside Out or Soul is just the cherry on top for me which I thought was a return to form but I was lukewarm on onward, luca, and turning red. So not all of them I was in loved with.

End of the day, I'm just an old f*** lol and these are children's films so its all good

I guess their streak of consistency of great films. Particularly noticeable in the 2020's where it seems like there streak is broken and they been more serviceable than great imo
they still alright but I noticed when Cars 2 dropped that was the first, “Okay.”, movie from them imo

Just to note I don’t think they make any bad films at all, but, with movies like lightyear and toy story 4 (I thought 4 was honestly not needed) i think it’s clear they are out of their, "Golden Age". Lightyear in particular was the first real big flop I seen from them both from a box office and the reviews were middling. The good ideas are still there, but I think with the yearly release schedule and Disney constantly pressuring them to sequel bait there streak was bound to be broken and after awhile they've had more movies that are more serviceable than great to me unlike their first run.

Which is fine, the run they had for 11ish films was basically perfect and hard to beat I just can't expect them to have a real banger every year now. Anything of the quality of Inside Out or Soul is just the cherry on top for me which I thought was a return to form but I was lukewarm on onward, luca, and turning red. So not all of them I was in loved with.

End of the day, I'm just an old f*** lol and these are children's films so its all good
That’s very fair. I personally think the original Cars was their first “okay” film and Cars 2 was their first “bad” film but I’ve never been a Cars fan to begin with. I don’t think the sequels would exist had it not been as huge a merchandising money maker as the Cars franchise ending up becoming.

Cars series aside, I feel like The Good Dinosaur was when their formula started to wear thin. It’s actually a little funny that some of the movies you didn’t care fun I enjoyed (Lightyear, Turning Red). I agree that Toy Story 4 wasn’t needed but it destroyed my expectations and they have yet to miss with the main Toy Story series.

Overall, I don’t really disagree with your assessment of Pixar. They had an incredible run in the beginning but it never was going to sustain. I still think they are the standard-bearer for animation but they no longer dominate with field with their feature length films anymore. The playing field is much more level than it has ever been. They’re still killing the game with the Pixar shorts though

It's April and I have not been to the movie theatre once. Where all are all the damn movies?

It's April and I have not been to the movie theatre once. Where all are all the damn movies?
Bit of everything out rn outside of artsy/Oscar bait

Monkey Man for the John Wick action style fans.

Godzilla V Kong for Blockbuster flick fans.

Dune 2 might be the best Sci-Fi flick of the last decade.

Ghostbusters for families

All the Spideys are back in theaters right now for the CBM crowd.

Kung Fu Panda for the kids.

First Omen for horror buffs

Back
Top Bottom