Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I saw Garfield with my daughter yesterday. She wanted to see it. There were quite a few folks in the theater. I didn’t care for the movie. Definitely geared toward kids. Lacked the Pixar sophistication.

I won’t lie I was getting annoyed with the experience as there were a group of loud youngsters sitting behind us. They left a third into the movie.

I don't think Furiosa/Mad Max resonates with general audiences.
I’m a big fan, but George Miller’s Mad Max world is aggressively weird, so definitely not everyone’s cup-of-tea. I was a little surprised at how big of a hit Fury Road was for that reason.

But Fury Road came out pre-pandemic, when it had been decades since a Mad Max (or other large scale post-apocalyptic flick) had been out and the visuals alone made for a great theater experience. Furiosa doesn’t have all the same things going for it.

^^^ I think the issue was that Charlize didn't want to be involved because she didn't have a great experience filming Fury Road.

Mad Max just wasn't that good, . and to my eye they used either way more CGI or the CGI was much worse.

i was super disappointed.

Mad Max just wasn't that good, . and to my eye they used either way more CGI or the CGI was much worse.

i was super disappointed.

You the one I been waiting for because you were a huge Fury Road fan. (I was not)

So I was curious what you'd think of Furiosa.

I don’t think they‘ll go away entirely, but it may end up that the only new movies that get theatrical releases are animated kids movies.

Not entirely but with 4-5-8k 60 inch tvs in your house, inflation…… why bother?

The Sphere in Vegas seems to be the next wave.

I’d buy Furiosa on demand right now if it was $20.

I just hope theater viewing doesnt become like a popular music concert type expense. Like if you wanna see Dune 2 in a theater, you gotta pay Lady Gaga tour type money. Cause I’ll pay it and that’s gonna suck.

I just hope theater viewing doesnt become like a popular music concert type expense. Like if you wanna see Dune 2 in a theater, you gotta pay Lady Gaga tour type money. Cause I’ll pay it and that’s gonna suck.
I kind of see it going the opposite way - like the theaters that stay open will be independently owned and won’t have the highest end tech. So they’ll show classics and cult films, not new releases.

^^^ I think the issue was that Charlize didn't want to be involved because she didn't have a great experience filming Fury Road.
Zoe Kravitz has also said most of them didn’t have a good experience filming the movie. I’ve heard Anya bae has said the same thing. Not surprised since the real outback has no steaks or beer.

Wonder if the actors in Dune had a better time in their desert locations.

I thought I was going to be unable to get tix to Furiosa, but there were plenty good ones left. Theater was not packed, maybe, it was the holiday weekend.

Dune 2 was a success as far as box office numbers goes, right? Was that the last big film?

Not sure how many upcoming movies gonna smash their numbers. Deadpool 3?

I thought I was going to be unable to get tix to Furiosa, but there were plenty good ones left. Theater was not packed, maybe, it was the holiday weekend.

Dune 2 was a success as far as box office numbers goes, right? Was that the last big film?

Yea Dune 2 is most likely gonna stay as the top flick at the box office this year until D3, made 700m+

Godzilla x Kong was actually the last big movie. It made $80mil opening weekend. :lol: :pimp:

DP3 will be a big hit because of Wolverine. Not sure what other live movie will do numbers this year. I assume Joker and Venom 3 will be a hit.

Barbie, Super Mario and Oppenheimer all went gangbusters last summer. GOTG 3, Fast X and Spiderverse also were very successful.

Dune 2 is the only movie so far this year that stacks up to those
Right. Then it’s probably premature to start shoveling dirt on theaters. Maybe be as much about 2024’s offerings not having blockbuster appeal as anything else. Let’s see what happens with Deadpool/Wolverine, Inside Out 2, Despicable Me 4, etc.

I wasn't a big fan of Fury Road, but I do love goin to the theater more and more now.

I had a terrible week at work, 3 day weekend and a 2 hour mindless action flick on the big screen was a perfect getaway.

I go so much my rewards membership got me free ticket + free soda + free popcorn. :lol:

That's the rub. My small town local theater still has $7.50 matinees. $5-6 sodas. (Still yikes) But bigger chains I've gone to hit me with $9 matinees and $8 sodas etc. My daughter and I go to local spot, maybe 40-50 bucks. That bigger theater cost us $75. Fix that **** and people will come back. It shouldn't be 9 dollars for chips and cheese. :lol:

10+ years ago you were the only game in town. New releases every weekend, money guaranteed.
Now everybody got 65 inch 4K TV's and all the snacks they already paid for and no waits in line, no driving, no showtime crunch, no strangers galore, just press play.
Theaters gotta roll those prices back down to re-attract people again. $4-5 dollar sodas is still plenty profitable. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom