Oh so this is disrespectful? Vol. Seriously old people?

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

The professors at your colleges tell you to take your hats off? If a professor tried to tell me that here at UMiami I would kindly remind them that I am paying over $35,000 in tuition and that should give me a right to do as I please.

For the record, I don't care about hats in the classroom or anywhere else.  I have my opinions but it's just not a big deal.  What I loathe is the sense of entitlement and self righteousness that is so nauseatingly pervasive amongst 20-year-olds.  If you get  chance, you should look up what your university tells the faculty about you.  Most give primers on the general social characteristics of the incoming class.  To summarize the last couple of years?  Emotionally spoiled my-poop-don't-stink kids who have been given trophies for every last place finish throughout their entire lives and who will, on average, financially rely on their parents for two to three years after they graduate.  I guess I'm not surprised that some people are so indignant about being asked to remove their hats. 
In my 8 years on this board I've never done this, but:  QFMFT!  Preach!! But I'm "old" so ...

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

The professors at your colleges tell you to take your hats off? If a professor tried to tell me that here at UMiami I would kindly remind them that I am paying over $35,000 in tuition and that should give me a right to do as I please.

For the record, I don't care about hats in the classroom or anywhere else.  I have my opinions but it's just not a big deal.  What I loathe is the sense of entitlement and self righteousness that is so nauseatingly pervasive amongst 20-year-olds.  If you get  chance, you should look up what your university tells the faculty about you.  Most give primers on the general social characteristics of the incoming class.  To summarize the last couple of years?  Emotionally spoiled my-poop-don't-stink kids who have been given trophies for every last place finish throughout their entire lives and who will, on average, financially rely on their parents for two to three years after they graduate.  I guess I'm not surprised that some people are so indignant about being asked to remove their hats. 
In my 8 years on this board I've never done this, but:  QFMFT!  Preach!! But I'm "old" so ...

Originally Posted by kilojules64

^I could do that, or I could just ask him to take his hat off and smile and thank him as he obliges :tongue:
30t6p3b.gif
Vixen. Siren. Using the power of the ({})

Originally Posted by kilojules64

^I could do that, or I could just ask him to take his hat off and smile and thank him as he obliges :tongue:
30t6p3b.gif
Vixen. Siren. Using the power of the ({})

I personally don't wear hats to school but I don't see how it's "disrespectful." The thing is, in high school there is usually a written dress code that doesn't allow you to wear a hat. But the majority of universities have no dress code at all so for you to be condemned for wearing a hat can not be enforced unless there is somewhere written saying in your school it isn't allowed

And to the person saying the professor may have experienced cheating with hats, what about beanies/winter caps? You can't tape anything to the brim of that and professors sometimes still want you to take that off..Also, if you're wearing a fitted on a day where there isn't an exam, then that argument is invalid.

Lastly, I completely agree with the idea that paying tuition should allow you the freedom to dress as you please (obviously to an extent). If you're at work you do what your boss tells you because THEY pay YOU..But when you're voluntarily showing up to class and paying to be there, wearing a hat shouldn't be such a big issue

I personally don't wear hats to school but I don't see how it's "disrespectful." The thing is, in high school there is usually a written dress code that doesn't allow you to wear a hat. But the majority of universities have no dress code at all so for you to be condemned for wearing a hat can not be enforced unless there is somewhere written saying in your school it isn't allowed

And to the person saying the professor may have experienced cheating with hats, what about beanies/winter caps? You can't tape anything to the brim of that and professors sometimes still want you to take that off..Also, if you're wearing a fitted on a day where there isn't an exam, then that argument is invalid.

Lastly, I completely agree with the idea that paying tuition should allow you the freedom to dress as you please (obviously to an extent). If you're at work you do what your boss tells you because THEY pay YOU..But when you're voluntarily showing up to class and paying to be there, wearing a hat shouldn't be such a big issue

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

The professors are allowed to dictate what's acceptable dress in classes.  In some business courses, it's business attire only. 

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

The professors are allowed to dictate what's acceptable dress in classes.  In some business courses, it's business attire only. 

Originally Posted by sho3tym

Call me old school, but I think you should take your hat off.

this...
we're a dying breed dude...
i take my hat off indoors almost all the time.  unless i'm watching a ball game or something.
whatever.  i'm old. 
as some of you get older, you'll turn into your parents more and more. 
laugh.gif

**shakes my fist at the youth of today**

-J-

Originally Posted by sho3tym

Call me old school, but I think you should take your hat off.

this...
we're a dying breed dude...
i take my hat off indoors almost all the time.  unless i'm watching a ball game or something.
whatever.  i'm old. 
as some of you get older, you'll turn into your parents more and more. 
laugh.gif

**shakes my fist at the youth of today**

-J-

I don't think it's disrespectful; however, proper hat etiquette indicates that hats should be removed upon entering room. It's just proper. Even in the old days, upon entering a house (or something) a person would offer to take your coat and top-hat.

I don't think it's disrespectful; however, proper hat etiquette indicates that hats should be removed upon entering room. It's just proper. Even in the old days, upon entering a house (or something) a person would offer to take your coat and top-hat.

Back
Top Bottom