Oh wow...my gf broke up w/me bc her grand parents don't approve of interracial relationships.

balloonoboy

Banned
My on again, off again broke it off for good because she couldn't deal with her family being mad at her for dating a brotha. Wow, I'm flabbergasted, at a loss for words. The last time we broke up it was because her grand parents ( on her father side) didn't approve of her dating a black man. Okay, so she's off at grad school and everything is going fine with us, but once she goes back home this pandora's box of sorts opens up. Apparently, her father has been having sleepless nights over this. Her mother thinks it's best to just break it off. I understand how something like this can tear a family apart (her racist grand parents didn't even attend their nieces wedding and have stopped speaking to her altogether; I can only imagine how they'd treat their grand daughter).

A part of me wants to scream to the heavens how life is not fair and how I thought we were more accepting of people since this is the 2010; another part of me wants to laugh at just how outrageous this is - my skin color of all things immediately and outright making me an unfit suitor for their grand daughter. It's really a shame when my skin color predetermines who I can and can't be with. And even though I know I'm black, I consider myself a person first. This is in West Virginia, if it matters.

What can you do? What the %*@+ can you do?

Fin.

My on again, off again broke it off for good because she couldn't deal with her family being mad at her for dating a brotha. Wow, I'm flabbergasted, at a loss for words. The last time we broke up it was because her grand parents ( on her father side) didn't approve of her dating a black man. Okay, so she's off at grad school and everything is going fine with us, but once she goes back home this pandora's box of sorts opens up. Apparently, her father has been having sleepless nights over this. Her mother thinks it's best to just break it off. I understand how something like this can tear a family apart (her racist grand parents didn't even attend their nieces wedding and have stopped speaking to her altogether; I can only imagine how they'd treat their grand daughter).

A part of me wants to scream to the heavens how life is not fair and how I thought we were more accepting of people since this is the 2010; another part of me wants to laugh at just how outrageous this is - my skin color of all things immediately and outright making me an unfit suitor for their grand daughter. It's really a shame when my skin color predetermines who I can and can't be with. And even though I know I'm black, I consider myself a person first. This is in West Virginia, if it matters.

What can you do? What the %*@+ can you do?

Fin.

i'm sorry to hear that op ... what is her background ...

take some time to heal ... and then put yourself back out there ...

terrible that it came to that ... it's hard to chose over family ... so i can't be mad at her ... who knows what could happen in the future ... but for now ... treat it likes it's done b/c she wasn't able to tell them that you're her guy no matter what they think

i'm sorry to hear that op ... what is her background ...

take some time to heal ... and then put yourself back out there ...

terrible that it came to that ... it's hard to chose over family ... so i can't be mad at her ... who knows what could happen in the future ... but for now ... treat it likes it's done b/c she wasn't able to tell them that you're her guy no matter what they think

Have you ever sat down with her parents/gps, and talked to them to let them know and show them that black people are fully capable human beings as well? Maybe they don't know and buy into the hundreds of years of hype.

Have you ever sat down with her parents/gps, and talked to them to let them know and show them that black people are fully capable human beings as well? Maybe they don't know and buy into the hundreds of years of hype.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

roll.gif

Not awkward at ALL

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

roll.gif

Not awkward at ALL

if she loved you she wouldn't care what anyone said.
she don't love you and she don't got your back...take it in stride and keep moving.

she don't love you and she don't got your back...take it in stride and keep moving.

Originally Posted by seniosoul

I agree but I'm not going to sit here and say it's easy for someone to go against their family.  But it sounds like she didn't fight for you at all.  Thats very telling about her as a partner even if it's a fight against the biggest "enemy" possible..

I agree but I'm not going to sit here and say it's easy for someone to go against their family.  But it sounds like she didn't fight for you at all.  Thats very telling about her as a partner even if it's a fight against the biggest "enemy" possible..

its not always that simple...

sorry to hear tho OP...glad my parents aren't like that

its not always that simple...

sorry to hear tho OP...glad my parents aren't like that

Listen regardless of her racist grandparents and her father's """sleepless nights""" she's old enough to make her own damn decisions and SHE decided to call it quits.Yes there was pressure there and I get that,but ultimately YOU have to decide for yourself what YOU want and she obviously didn't want you bad enough so the next one...
be on to it.

Listen regardless of her racist grandparents and her father's """sleepless nights""" she's old enough to make her own damn decisions and SHE decided to call it quits.Yes there was pressure there and I get that,but ultimately YOU have to decide for yourself what YOU want and she obviously didn't want you bad enough so the next one...
be on to it.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

I agree with all of this.

Back
Top Bottom