Oldboy (2013) has an interesting cast

Wow didn't know Spike Lee was directing this... interesting.

Wonder if they're going to try and do the hallway fight scene

Zero interest in this. Just watch the original. Although if you read this post, the movie is ruined for you.

It will only be OLDBOY in name.

But I do want to see the hallway fight with a big budget. Somehow it will be in a warehouse now and people will fly on wires...

And it might just be me, but I don't like Spike Lee's films....I like a few of his movies, sure, but I have no faith in an adaption of OLDBOY by Spike Lee.

Oldboy is my favorite film. Do not want. I never watched The Road either because it was such a good book.

Funny, I didn't realize an American remake means the original will cease to exist and erased from our memories.

I have read quite a bit on this and it sounds like it will be quite different from the original. If that is the case I have no interest in watching. Oldboy is a great movie, and like others have said I have almost no faith in Spike Lee doing a good remake of this.

I have read quite a bit on this and it sounds like it will be quite different from the original. If that is the case I have no interest in watching. Oldboy is a great movie, and like others have said I have almost no faith in Spike Lee doing a good remake of this.
yeah i think spike is too old and he aint gonna do too good on this classic

Funny, I didn't realize an American remake means the original will cease to exist and erased from our memories.

That's what I'm saying. That goes for every remake. I guess people can't watch the orginal anymore without anger, knowing in the back of their head, that a remake was made.

Don't WATCH the remake.

Oldboy is my fav movie. Im not down with this but i dont care...more exposure for the OG :pimp: dont have faith in spike.
ill watch anyways doe. it will prob be decent. hope he changes the story/twists up.
and spike needs to put in a realistic corridor fight scene with a hammer. if he doesnt :smh:

Last edited:
That's what I'm saying. That goes for every remake. I guess people can't watch the orginal anymore without anger, knowing in the back of their head, that a remake was made.
Don't WATCH the remake.
but you cant ignore it.. because all your friends and the media is talking about it due to the fact that it was produced by hollywood

Don't WATCH the remake.

but you cant ignore it.. because all your friends and the media is talking about it due to the fact that it was produced by hollywood

I didn't say you can't ignore it. Don't watch it. Nothing should be able to ruin a movie that you loved.

Last edited:
If anything, a remake sheds light on the original and means more people will watch the original. Isn't that a good thing? Or do people want the movie to be a secret that only they know about?

This is also another issue with adaptation and remakes. If they stayed true to the original and Spike did his best to be faithful to the tone, style, pacing, etc. EVERYTHING, then it would be accused of a blatant copy and ripoff of the original. If he went another direction and provided his own unique take on it, then it would be accused of ruining the original and failing to capture what made the original great. It's a lose/lose.

While Spike isn't the same caliber of director of Scorsese, The Departed was an excellent film and a remake of an over seas film. It's not impossible for an American remake to be good. 

And original movies exist nowadays, they just might not be in the top ten grossing movies each year. Hollywood has been focused on the blockbuster with remakes, reboots, sequels, prequels, etc., for nearly 40 years. This isn't a new trend, at all.

I guarantee no octopus scene. PETA would have a field day.

Just saw the trailer for I saw the devil. Looks damn good. Whats so jacked up about it tho?

It is damn good. It's pretty violent...nothing unbearable though. Oldboy was much weirder/more disturbing to me.

Oldboy is my favorite film. Do not want. I never watched The Road either because it was such a good book.

The Road is a great film IMO. Doesn't do a disservice to the book at all.

Movie is watchable but it isn't touching the book at all. If you read the book already don't bother with the movie.

The movie was decent. The book was so much better, but I think we all already knew that would be the case.

Last edited:
I'll be watching this cuz it's Spike. Just want to see his spin on it. I feel Hollywood should do even more remakes of foreign classics. Aint nothing wrong with it. As much as I liked Old Boy, I don't like watching movies with subtitles or even worse, dubbed. There's a bit of connection I feel that's lost in translation.

Hollywood needs to adapt more mangas in to movies. A Monster movie would be great and 20th Century Boys would be very ambitious. Although even if it's a trilogy I expect a lot to be cut out. Still would want to see.

The Road is a great film IMO. Doesn't do a disservice to the book at all.
Cosign but it's great to me in the way that it was depressing as ****. I really got in to it and I didn't expect a happy ending but man was that a ****** up film :smh: :smokin :frown:

Last edited:
Expect the film to be very loosely based on the OG film.

Brolin got swole for this film, which is already a departure to the OG.
View media item 161988

Last edited:
Expect the film to be very loosely based on the OG film.

Brolin got swole for this film, which is already a departure to the OG.
View media item 161988
Well I assume the action scenes will be adapted to how they are in America. Brolin starving away in a room getting out all frail and then going off to seek revenge might not be as exciting to an American audience unless they up the violence.

Back
Top Bottom