Oldboy (2013) has an interesting cast

for me, SMB is the kinda film where, if you completely disregard the fact that it has any affiliton with the games, its a silly 90's movie thats kinda interesting. The rocket boots, the guns etc. I can do that with SMB. I cant with Street Fighter, because they just flat out refused to do things for the fans. Like they interrupted the first Ryu/Vega fight, no fireballs, Guile is foreign etc.

and The Departed was based off of Infernal Affairs.
I agree with SF, I knew it was going to be ish when I saw Ryu in a suit, lol, but I feel your opinion
For me I feel the same about SMB( as u feel about SF) I couldn't get funky with Bowser being a dude, the guns, etc...

Last edited:
Never understood what was so great about Ichi the Killer. Then again, I saw it back in 04 I believe.

If they keep remaking old Asian movies they should get Robert Rodriguez to direct The Story Of Ricki-Oh.

Korean movies, especially gangster ones, are hard to adapt because it's nearly impossible to get a gun in Korea, so when gangs and hoodlums get down with only bats, 2x4s, taekwondo kicks, etc., that's actually believable.

OG Oldboy, despite the fantasticism of the hammer scene, is at least believable enough that no one would pull a gat out, so what's stopping these American dudes from blasting Brolin in the hallway?

I wonder how the ending will go for A Bittersweet Life Remake with Denzel.

Last edited:
Also, they're sticking with the dumplings?

Thought they'd change it into a slice of pizza and have dude go to different pizzerias.
laugh.gif

Spike Lee is so annoying, this movie will blow. The original is perfect, don't need to ruin art when you can make your own. Oh wait, spike lee...

Spike Lee is so annoying, this movie will blow. The original is perfect, don't need to ruin art when you can make your own. Oh wait, spike lee...
And how did you determine that? At least see it first before making such statements. Everyone doesn't think its a classic. Some see it as an orgy of violence.

And of course a few angry fanboys start with the Spike Lee slander. Never fails.

To see it, i'd have to put money in the pocket of someone I don't support. I'm a protestor, not a complainer. Keep your Hollywood spin off my old boy

Last edited:

Heres the trailer for those that havent seen it. Its Spike Lee, so big plus on that. My biggest concern for me is Josh Brolin and after watching the trailer confirms it. Choi Min-sik playing Oh Dae-sue made the movie for me. The way he was at the very start of the movie how he transitioned over the years, losing his mind. The tone of anger and revenge up until the very end.

Josh Brolin just feels so one dimensional compared to Choi Min-sik. Spike lee already said its a "reinterpretation" of the original. I'll check the movie out to see what spike lee did to put his spin on it. Also the trailer obviously has many of the same theme and selling points of the original, Hints of the hallway scene looks interesting. 

^^^ill watch this version once it hits netflicks
But red hook summer, is probably one of the best spike lee films in a long *** time
If anybody is looking for the og olld boy, saw some on amazon
It's definately a film you should own and not rent

Last edited:
I thought the original Korean version was a damn good flick. Although its not quite a movie I'm pressed to see periodically, I do highly recommend seeing it at least once.

From the trailer it looks like Spike is keeping it as close to the Korean version as possible.

Kinda find it interesting that Tarantino was a big fan of the original and here Spike is doing an American remake (it would've been hilarious if Jamie Foxx was Oh Dae Su) 
laugh.gif

I thought the original Korean version was a damn good flick. Although its not quite a movie I'm pressed to see periodically, I do highly recommend seeing it at least once.

From the trailer it looks like Spike is keeping it as close to the Korean version as possible.

Kinda find it interesting that Tarantino was a big fan of the original and here Spike is doing an American remake (it would've been hilarious if Jamie Foxx was Oh Dae Su)  :lol:

well originally it was speculated that Will smith was supposed to be the main character. But Will isnt the kind of actor to step too far out of his lane and try something like that. Same way he turned down Django

Lol at the Obama inauguration and Twin Towers explosion in the preview.

Spikes Lee's "twist" on this film will be inserting hollywood's liberal agenda at every chance.

Back
Top Bottom