Older Niker Talkers 30+

That lineup from that show...:lol: . The kids 'round here don't know who they are. Good show though.

That's whats up. Cameo and the Dramatics on the undercard...wooo.
Man they recently had a show out here with dmx, naughty by nature and big daddy Kane. Dope lineup.
I'm old enough to have gone to four DMX concerts....DMX has shown up zero times :lol:

I'm 26 but I just want to say dmx did not show up for one of mine too. :lol: he was opening for riff Raff 3 years ago, that's saying something.

DMX....opening up for Riff Raff? 
mean.gif

25 here. Family oriented, got a girlfriend who my folks like, and will be traveling a lot :smokin.

Question to the older folks, do you wish you saved money earlier? Or are you glad you spent money the way you did?
30+ folks, please answer...:nerd:

In a way yes I do wish I saved money when I was younger. But I enjoyed my life and however I spent my money on so I don't regret any of it.

That lineup from that show...:lol: . The kids 'round here don't know who they are. Good show though.

Man they recently had a show out here with dmx, naughty by nature and big daddy Kane. Dope lineup.
I'm old enough to have gone to four DMX concerts....DMX has shown up zero times :lol:

:lol: As an X fan, you come to expect this. But naw he was there and it was fire.

X on that white girl....
mean.gif
. My man needs help. Ever since I saw that show with him and his son, I see him a bit differently. 

I'll be 31 in August.

I have to say turning 30 was like ripping the band aid off and accepting the next phase of your life. In fact I'm looking forward to 40 for various reasons.

Every since I was in the library in community college and seen one of my class mates surfing the web on a black screen, I was instantly hooked!!! NikeTalk has and will be a permanent staple in my life. If I have a long weekend, this is the first thing I check when I get to work. It's like missing an episode of your favorite show. I've always came here to better my sneaker knowledge and to join in conversations of people with like minds. I'll always think of NT as a fraternity that I am lucky to be a member of.

33 over here, been on Nike Talk since 2001. Priorities changed but my love for kicks will always be the same. I think I'm pass the "collecting" part and just cop what I like. It's funny how the game changed though, I've been selling kicks off and on since I was young. My first pair of kicks I sold were the Olive Jordan 9's to a friend of mines back when I was like 14-15. I always loved sneakers and would have Eastbay magazines mailed to me every month so I knew what came out but I wasn't really a sneaker head like that back then. I didn't really start collecting till I was around 23-24 and at 25 I started my Ebay account and was selling kicks on there ever since. I seen the market and the culture turn into what it is now with my own eyes. Sort of like how the older guys around my way when they talk about how Hip Hop was when it first started up. (I'm from New Jersey). The older I get the less love I have for the game, it's not like how it used to be. All the hypebeast took the enjoyment out of copping kicks but it feels good when you can walk in sometimes and pick up what you like with no problem and not get charged extra because other people hyped up the shoe. I think age is how you feel and act, I don't feel "old"...lol. No matter how old I do get I'll never stop copping kicks. 

I'm still trying to figure out if you collect, do you not wear them? This term has been used too loosely. I'm not a collector. I might have kicks on ice for a while, but they're all getting worm. I never understood buying to just keep on display, but maybe I'm understanding it wrong. 

I'm still trying to figure out if you collect, do you not wear them? This term has been used too loosely. I'm not a collector. I might have kicks on ice for a while, but they're all getting worm. I never understood buying to just keep on display, but maybe I'm understanding it wrong. 
In my case, there's just joints I haven't got around to wearing yet. It's not by design, just volume. I'd have to get my Mr. Rogers on in order to rock them all. I keep mines in clear storage bins so they do have the extra utility of display pieces, but they're gonna get rocked eventually. 

In my case, there's just joints I haven't got around to wearing yet. It's not by design, just volume. I'd have to get my Mr. Rogers on in order to rock them all. I keep mines in clear storage bins so they do have the extra utility of display pieces, but they're gonna get rocked eventually. 
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat

This joint looking like the AARP in here lol. I've been here a minute too though. 35 and I still buy shoes here and there but definitely not a priority any more. All I usually come on NT for is the comedy in General.

-SAlNlDllvllAlNl-

So when people see me wearing my heat and sometimes non-heat, I do say that I am collector (with a Ph.D. in Kicksology :D ) , but I ain't that dude that have them on display and go in the basement from time to time looking at them like I got the Hope Diamond.

Now with the way things are today, these kids wear their kicks out of the store as soon as they get them and I've always stuck to my rule: If a sneaker was released on a Saturday, they weren't going to be worn until that Monday of school. In addition to that, now everybody deems themselves a "Sneakerhead", so that means everyone is wearing the same thing LOL. So when the AS, BHM, Easter, and Christmas colorways release, I normally ice them for a few months to a year, so that the hype dies down and I'll break them out when I'm ready to. Due to my rotation, I generally wait at least a month to wear my new releases.

Long story short:

In my own definition.

Collector - Someone who wears what they like and has a different array of shoes. They may favor a specific brand over another, but appreciates the artwork of different brands (e.g., I'm pro-Nike, but I think the Shaqnosis is one of the most beautiful works of art when it comes to kicks). They wear their shoes (eventually) to showcase their arsenal and depth of taste. Selling is never an option, UNLESS they have worn their kicks to their hearts content and are ready to pass them on to the next person in order to make room for adding more kicks to their line up OR just strapped for cash, but selling never enters the thought process when making the initial purchase. They are also semi-knowledgeable of the technology, history, and meaning behind the kicks in their arsenal (e.g., I bet half, if not all the kids don't know the history of controversy behind the Air Bakins that were recently released and what was done to correct it).

I could write for days what I think a collector is, but that's my definition. It's levels to collecting, not just owning a few pairs of exclusives. Just my $.02.

In addition to that, now everybody deems themselves a "Sneakerhead", so that means everyone is wearing the same thing LOL.
Its like a buncha dudes that say "yeah man, I'm really into music." But they only listen to Top 40.
laugh.gif
 Crazy.

I get amped more from anti-hype. Finding some obscure ish that everybody forgot about. Having some dude in 500$ foams bug out over whatever weird DS trainer I managed to unearth.

Reactions: ct3
Its like a buncha dudes that say "yeah man, I'm really into music." But they only listen to Top 40. :lol:  Crazy.

I get amped more from anti-hype. Finding some obscure ish that everybody forgot about. Having some dude in 500$ foams bug out over whatever weird DS trainer I managed to unearth.

You sir have discovered the method to my madness!!!

In addition to that, now everybody deems themselves a "Sneakerhead", so that means everyone is wearing the same thing LOL.
Its like a buncha dudes that say "yeah man, I'm really into music." But they only listen to Top 40.
laugh.gif
 Crazy.

Great analogy

@playacet  I'm the exact same way. I cop usually the less hyped stuff, but while everyone is rocking theirs I throw mine on ice. It's because my rotation allows. I also tend to rock my stuff more in spring/summer/fall so there isn't at much damage to the stuff I want to preserve longer. Selling is definitely NOT an option and that's what changed. Now, selling is always an option for those that just want what drops that week. And hell no they don't know the Air Bakin story 
laugh.gif
. I'm going to ask my brother this week if he knows the history. He's 21 and usually not a shoe person but my ways are rubbing off on him. I guess I'll take the time to school him. That whole fiasco was bogus and such a disappointment tho 
mean.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: ct3
So when people see me wearing my heat and sometimes non-heat, I do say that I am collector (with a Ph.D. in Kicksology :D ) , but I ain't that dude that have them on display and go in the basement from time to time looking at them like I got the Hope Diamond.

Now with the way things are today, these kids wear their kicks out of the store as soon as they get them and I've always stuck to my rule: If a sneaker was released on a Saturday, they weren't going to be worn until that Monday of school. In addition to that, now everybody deems themselves a "Sneakerhead", so that means everyone is wearing the same thing LOL. So when the AS, BHM, Easter, and Christmas colorways release, I normally ice them for a few months to a year, so that the hype dies down and I'll break them out when I'm ready to. Due to my rotation, I generally wait at least a month to wear my new releases.

Long story short:

In my own definition.

Collector - Someone who wears what they like and has a different array of shoes. They may favor a specific brand over another, but appreciates the artwork of different brands (e.g., I'm pro-Nike, but I think the Shaqnosis is one of the most beautiful works of art when it comes to kicks). They wear their shoes (eventually) to showcase their arsenal and depth of taste. Selling is never an option, UNLESS they have worn their kicks to their hearts content and are ready to pass them on to the next person in order to make room for adding more kicks to their line up OR just strapped for cash, but selling never enters the thought process when making the initial purchase. They are also semi-knowledgeable of the technology, history, and meaning behind the kicks in their arsenal (e.g., I bet half, if not all the kids don't know the history of controversy behind the Air Bakins that were recently released and what was done to correct it).

I could write for days what I think a collector is, but that's my definition. It's levels to collecting, not just owning a few pairs of exclusives. Just my $.02.

The funny thing is how real "sneakerheads" treat the term sneakerhead as a four letter word, because they don't want to be associated and grouped with this new generation.

They don't buy because of attachment and many of them have no knowledge.

Plus most of us resent them and blame them for everything that's wrong with our hobby.

Jagged Edge and Dru Hill

Waiting for garage sale pt 2!

Darkman X gotta learn from Zev Love X. Doom got that concert no-show, still cash a check, troll game on lock.

Long story short:

In my own definition.

I can't even pretend that I'll wear all my sneakers any more. I work an office job. Even with casual Friday, how often do I get to wear sneakers? I probably have 600 pairs, which includes doubles, triples, etc. Wearing everything is just not going to happen. Still, it's very difficult for me to part anything.

The term "collector" as commonly used is basically indistinguishable from "sneakerhead." I have personal opinions on the nuanced semantics of all these words, but in common usage they all just mean "person who buys a lot of sneakers."

Knowing the history of the items and the associated culture are very important to me though. I don't see how you can have true passion without it. I always said that sneakers are the nexus of sports and hip hop - two extremely influential cultural spheres of my life. I mean, people can do whatever they want with their money, they can buy 3K "PEs" that are produced by the hundred. They can wear their kicks. They can shrink wrap them and just stare at them. They can keep them forever. They can resell them. "Sneakerhead," "collector," "resller," those are all just labels - if you have true knowledge and appreciation of the shoes and associated culture, then I'm cool with you, regardless of how you practice your hobby. But, if you're just out for e-props, I don't care what your collection looks like - you're just an insecure poser.

I totally agree with you @BIP Roberts  . As I said before, that's the soul of kicks (no pun intended) and it's just lacking today. Yeah six hunnid is way more than enough. I'm thankful that for what I do, I can get away with wearing some, but even at that point, I just keep it simple and don't wear too much. 

All I know is even when I stop buying shoes, I'll at least have the satisfaction in never having to buy sneakers again for the rest of my life. I literally have a life time supply to last me till the day that I die. Sort of a cool feeling I guess, and they'll all be some rare shoes.

40. 3 Kids and a wife. Still living that Jordan life.

Started collecting in 1996 when the XI's came out. I decided than I wanted every single pair of J's that ever comes out. Years later after about 600 pairs I finally realized that it is not possible. But I still look here almost daily for info just like I did back at NikePark.

Back
Top Bottom