One Man And His Shoes Tonight 8pm EST on Vice

The show was great and provided a perspective for sure when it comes to what people are willing to do for exclusive items. I still would not blame Nike or Jordan though. Their job is to make a desirable product and they did that.
The problem is people put way to much weight in these items. Yes, I love em to, but to potentially kill for them? No, not even in the thought process. I cant fathom the thought of doing such. If I miss out, well then I miss out.
I have been on the side of wanting a Jordan that I knew I never would get. Too expensive. So wearing the off brand sneaker was something I just accepted till I consistently made my own money to buy them. Its unfortunate, but its not new. People have been killing for these type of items for several years.
The solution? Perspective and education. It was given to me by my parents and grandparents letting me know these shoes are just shoes. And the shoes are just a name. They told me I was buying a name. They were right without question. My mom would tell me "when you make your own money, you can buy whatever you want" . And I did just that without looking back.
Still you have to have a perspective and understanding on what you can and cannot obtain. I want a Corvette. Will I get it? No. Could I? Yeah, if I lived at home with my Mom.
My point is my perspective allows me to know what I realistically can and cannot have. When I was younger, an Air Jordan was out of question. When I moved out of the house after high school, they were out of question, for obvious reasons. Living within realistic means and wanting what is not yours is a problem with several people. Some unfortunately want what has not been earned.

They didn't even talk about the adjustments Nike made to supposedly combat some of the ****ery

• Moving release dates from Wednesdays (If I'm mistaken please correct me)
  • Stopping midnight launches at retailers
  • Physical raffles
  • Digital raffles

I love how Nike does all this yet still mails out shoes in a box with a huge Nike logo or in boxes with blatant Nike branded packing tape.. :sick:

The show was great and provided a perspective for sure when it comes to what people are willing to do for exclusive items. I still would not blame Nike or Jordan though. Their job is to make a desirable product and they did that.
The problem is people put way to much weight in these items. Yes, I love em to, but to potentially kill for them? No, not even in the thought process. I cant fathom the thought of doing such. If I miss out, well then I miss out.
I have been on the side of wanting a Jordan that I knew I never would get. Too expensive. So wearing the off brand sneaker was something I just accepted till I consistently made my own money to buy them. Its unfortunate, but its not new. People have been killing for these type of items for several years.
The solution? Perspective and education. It was given to me by my parents and grandparents letting me know these shoes are just shoes. And the shoes are just a name. They told me I was buying a name. They were right without question. My mom would tell me "when you make your own money, you can buy whatever you want" . And I did just that without looking back.
Still you have to have a perspective and understanding on what you can and cannot obtain. I want a Corvette. Will I get it? No. Could I? Yeah, if I lived at home with my Mom.
My point is my perspective allows me to know what I realistically can and cannot have. When I was younger, an Air Jordan was out of question. When I moved out of the house after high school, they were out of question, for obvious reasons. Living within realistic means and wanting what is not yours is a problem with several people. Some unfortunately want what has not been earned.

I hate to say it, but I’m sure, with younger kids, a lot of this stems from bullying. If you’re rocking Payless to school because your parents/parent can’t afford anything more, there is probably more of a probability that you’ll get made fun of. This also probably compounds with other factors like lack of ability to take part in extracurricular activities or even eat a decent breakfast or lunch because of these same socioeconomic limitations. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending committing crimes to get Js AT ALL but I can definitely see how younger people can become incentivized to do so (social acceptance).

The chaos and idiocy surrounding the 2011 Concord XI release with clowns acting ghetto and stupid causing riots to get them will stay immortalized as rehashed footage as evidenced in this special. It won't be the last time either.

2011 Concord & 2012 Bred releases seem to forever live in infamy/history lol. Events from those releases are still talked about to this day which is crazy. I was kinda mad I missed this last night but was able to record and check it out just now. Really enjoyed it except for a few parts about that shooting here in my city towards the end there but my heart forever goes out to the family of Joshua Woods. I’m so sorry that happened. Not sure I can blame it on Jordan/Nike tho but that’s neither here nor there. RIP to him. Anyway thanks for the heads up on this doc Magic33 Magic33 . Good lil watch for sure.

2011 Concord & 2012 Bred releases seem to forever live in infamy/history lol. Events from those releases are still talked about to this day which is crazy. I was kinda mad I missed this last night but was able to record and check it out just now. Really enjoyed it except for a few parts about that shooting here in my city towards the end there but my heart forever goes out to the family of Joshua Woods. I’m so sorry that happened. Not sure I can blame it on Jordan/Nike tho but that’s neither here nor there. RIP to him. Anyway thanks for the heads up on this doc Magic33 Magic33 . Good lil watch for sure.

I honestly haven't heard anything stupid or crappy about the 2012 black/red XI release to this day. I just knew I sure as hell wasn't getting them because they looked like crappy swap meet knockoffs. And I'll keep reiterating I'm glad I waited 7 years later to get the 2019 re-release.

Yeah I'll remember the 2011 Concord XI release forever because I recall seeing clowns camped out at shoe stores all around town during that period! I hope they had fun spending time with Old Man Winter being outdoors waiting for those bootleg looking shoes.

Infamy seems to be the appropriate word for the 2011 Concord XI release especially with what my guy who's still a Foot Locker manager told me shortly after that release at a store he used to run. He elaborated how it was chaotic with people driving fast to park to gain entry to the mall when they were allowed to drive in because security didn't permit overnight parking. He had to open up uncommonly early with people already lined up. He had one clown ousted by mall security from his storefront because he repeatedly lifted the gate to try to creep in when they were limiting how many customers could enter his store, and the idiot started cursing at his company and security on his way out. He told me he had the customer who got the last pair in his store exit the backdoor for his safety since people were still outside. He didn't want him to get potentially robbed walking out front. He warned the customer he was on his own to navigate his way out of the mall once the backdoor was locked. So my guy told me that customer came back after that Christmastime and thanked him for letting him out the backdoor for his safety that early morning, and he ended up spending over $100 that day he returned.

1591547419214.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom