Online petition asks Nintendo to change Link to a young black female in the next Zelda Wii U game

so ****** stupid, what else do you want?

ash to be black? samus be a black woman? mario have a black friend named tyrone or pedro?

enough of your whining, it's a game, if you want it to be more diverse create your own game

it bothers me that my people are worrying about **** like this rather than working on bettering themselves and their community.

THIS! IN DETROIT, NO LESS!

Dude could be spending his energy on so many other causes that would actually improve the quality of life for others.

A black link won't do anything. For anyone. Most black people I know don't even play Zelda. :lol:

Honestly, I could live with that. Link doesn't talk. Changing who/what he is doesn't change his character at all.

If link was black, sales would drop significantly.
In this thread, i just realized that the only "black" nintendo character that i can recall is a bullet.

:lol: :frown:

Doc from Punch-Out is the only one I can think of

Never crossed my mind how there's barely any at all

it bothers me that my people are worrying about **** like this rather than working on bettering themselves and their community.

Dude could be spending his energy on so many other causes that would actually improve the quality of life for others.

A black link won't do anything. For anyone. Most black people I know don't even play Zelda.
laugh.gif
Most people don't even know that Link isn't Zelda
laugh.gif

In this thread, i just realized that the only "black" nintendo character that i can recall is a bullet.

That's what we need a petition for! Can we get Doc added to Smash Bros?

Better yet, Mike Tyson.

If you think it's stupid or thing talking about race and video games is dumb then you must don't like diversity because that's what it boils down to.There's a white Barbie,black Barbie and Im sure some other's in between as there should be so why not have a black link,black people play video games also.
Customization is cool but you don't by a game like Zelda for that and if there was a black character we all know there would be a small demographic that would complain because most fans of the game just want a good game.

I'm no Zelda fan from 1980's,I actually didn't like it at all but thought the gold cartridge was cool but I didn't become a fan until the Wii came out and I purchased the game for other reasons; just started playing out of curiosity and actually loved the game.I Beat it twice.

:smh:I mean who remembers the game 25 to Life,True crimes:NYC and the other game where you can be a good cop or a bad cop sell drugs,rob drug dealers,bust drug dealers or have a drug addict hit you with a dose(the name slips my mind).:smh:The answer to gta which has its own issues but it covers just about all bases for all races.

A black link won't do anything. For anyone. Most black people I know don't even play Zelda. :lol:

Most people don't even know that Link isn't Zelda :lol:
For real.

That's what we need a petition for! Can we get Doc added to Smash Bros?

Better yet, Mike Tyson.

Tyson would be dope

I haven't finished looking in to why in detail but for some common ignorant and conditioning reasons most Asians (not counting India) who do any kind of this animation, comic art, etc. which extends to video games have this thing with white Europeans being the ideal look, the default or what have you. I mean the Asian characters rarely ever look Asian and I think we've all seen how they use to depict black ppl in certain animation.

I know I've seen some docs about darker skinned Asians being looked down upon and apparently there's the conditioning of white being right and good and dark/black being bad wrong spreading on a global level in some regions. There's also this thing with Asian men having a thing for blonde European women and given the circumstance there's this vicarious living through white Euro men that plays a part. That's just how it is.

The whole issue of race and racism, prejudice is viewed and approached differently in most Asian countries. As mentioned in another thread where white ppl simply won't know how it feels to be black same goes for every other ethnicity. So when they don't have black main characters or any other characters from any other nationality other than these white ppl that happen to be from Japan or Korea it's totally not unusual to these creators. Diversity isn't a priority. Kinda makes sense given some of the more popular fictional characters are mostly white and are popular around the globe.

But anyway like I said it's really is best to be the change in these situations cuz nobody is going to do it for you. Putting the racists aside, diversity isn't a priority for a lot of ppl when making these things and it simply doesn't occur to them when creating most characters. There's a lot of great examples of ppl who do do this but by and large a person's point of reference character usually matches their skin color whether you're creating something story first or character first. It's only when it's a specific idea about the character where then the skin color is actually relevant where you won't see that trend.

Last edited:
I remember all the hate that was spewed when it was revealed that the GTA after Vice City, San Andreas, would have a black character as the main hero lol.

CJ :pimp:

Turned out that was the best GTA yet and the best storyline too, but I know a lot of people like Tommy Vercetti too.

Last edited:

laugh.gif
frown.gif

I haven't finished looking in to why in detail but for some common ignorant and conditioning reasons most Asians (not counting India) who do any kind of this animation, comic art, etc. which extends to video games have this thing with white Europeans being the ideal look, the default or what have you. I mean the Asian characters rarely ever look Asian and I think we've all seen how they use to depict black ppl in certain animation.

I know I've seen some docs about darker skinned Asians being looked down upon and apparently there's the conditioning of white being right and good and dark/black being bad wrong spreading on a global level in some regions. There's also this thing with Asian men having a thing for blonde European women and given the circumstance there's this vicarious living through white Euro men that plays a part. That's just how it is.

The whole issue of race and racism, prejudice is viewed and approached differently in most Asian countries. As mentioned in another thread where white ppl simply won't know how it feels to be black same goes for every other ethnicity. So when they don't have black main characters or any other characters from any other nationality other than these white ppl that happen to be from Japan or Korea it's totally not unusual to these creators. Diversity isn't a priority. Kinda makes sense given some of the more popular fictional characters are mostly white and are popular around the globe.

But anyway like I said it's really is best to be the change in these situations cuz nobody is going to do it for you. Putting the racists aside, diversity isn't a priority for a lot of ppl when making these things and it simply doesn't occur to them when creating most characters. There's a lot of great examples of ppl who do do this but by and large a person's point of reference character usually matches their skin color whether you're creating something story first or character first. It's only when it's a specific idea about the character where then the skin color is actually relevant where you won't see that trend.
sick.gif

it kinda sounds like youre excusing nintendo's lack of diversity in their game characters

You guys are unbelievable.

Not ONE person mentioned any other minority group besides Black :smh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom