Opening up an art gallery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn,NY - Bottleneck Gallery

Originally Posted by toast1985

Just went to a dope art show this past Friday. I will always take the time out to view the arts, keep us posted.
will do
I've been looking for an excuse to go to NY for a while now. I've never been and I needed a reason so this is probably it!

man..that would be awesome! plus bedford ave is a couple blocks away. Great area to drink and eat

good luck...hopefully it works out. I'd head over to check it out n support

its going to be mainly pop culture art. We will also have screenings in our video gallery in the back for films that we'll purchase the rights to show and probably have art prints dedicated to that movie.

Crossing fingers and all goes well, our first show will be the first week of August. However, we will be having screenings in July. Ill actually get into that more later today with you guys.

ok so ill try not to bore you with the crazy details but what got me into this type of art was basically the movie poster itself. For years, I was collecting from my job (movie theater), and then in like 2007 I fell in love with the world of the Alamo Drafthouse which was not only programming these awesome movies but printing art posters out of their side company Mondotees (http://www.mondoarchive.com/ ).  Posters like:
robocop_metalvariant_thumb.JPG

thething476x714_thumb.JPG

ollymossreturnofjedi_thumb.JPG

ollymossempire_thumb.JPG

ollymossstarwars_thumb.JPG
t2final_thumb.JPG

I mean I can keep going on with beautiful pics. Started collecting these posters. Got into that whole graffiti art too (Banksy, Invader, DFace, etc). Sort of a gateway drug to this whole world that I connected to. I also noticed there were a couple galleries that were mainly on the west coast doing shows that catered to this. People would seriously fly out to see them. And I sat here everyday, thinking damn. I could do this. I have so many ideas for themes for shows. Just was really expensive to start up and then other things came up.

Fast forward to about a couple months ago, and a friend of mine, whom I got into the posters above, was like lets do our own screenings. So I'm like ok well you can't just do your own screenings. You need rights to sell the prints, show the movie, and most of all need a theater. The ideas were all over the place. From guerrilla screenings to bars to renting out spaces. I was lucky enough to find this theater in Williamsburg called the Spectacle which would show it for us but being that they show lost films, they didnt really want to be associated with this.

We basically booked four shows and reached out to four artists.

I disclosed the first screening on another website of mine. $5 and you get a free beer. We are showing They Live with Roddy Piper and we had an artist come up with the following that well give out at the screening and sell online the following day:

i11693_theylive.JPG

While I was doing this, I began searching for a place. Luckily, another friend of mine was itching to do something new and just came aboard, found this amazing spot after a couple others came up short. 

But another thing I made clear to both partners is that I want a charity aspect to all of this. I want to be able to donate a portion of the gallerys take to specific charities that deal with the theme or maybe what the artist themselves would like to donate to. Its a win win for everyone. And its just something I was raised on.

So now with the screenings, we will show our first to at the Spectacle and hopefully the last 3 at our new place leading up to the group show. And as for the posters, all profits made will goto the artist's charity of choice. So basically its a donation for each one, not stepping on anyones feet AND gives us a test run how to ship properly and handle requests.

Alamo, these galleries on the west coast have just been an inspiration to me for 1/4 of my life. And there are so many artists out there and so many ideas and different takes on things that I would love to bring that out.

Hope I didn't bore anyone lol

I was already serious about this being my reason to visit, but now that I've heard the back story and your intentions about the project, it's completely been solidified.

I mean, I'm from Philly...so it's not like its a grand adventure lol...more like a 2 hour bus ride from Chinatown...so...be there in a few months!

meeting you guys would def be awesome. And the thing is that I just want to make it clear on the other boards, im not here as competition. Not stealing ideas. Not trying to step on feet.

If I can do this right, I'd love to work together with the other galleries (doubt theyd want to) but imagine like a cross country Arrested Development show themed show, right before it hits netflix again where proceeds goto charity.
Think I blue'd myself

Began sending out artist invites today for the first set of shows. Terms, charities, dates included.

Will prob disclose what the first show is at the end of May.

If anyone knows anyone else in this community thats big on this type of art and wants to send me their portfolio, would def be interested.

the art is dope,

congrats/gd luck on the space.

if im ever in NY. i would love to check it out

Behold our first promo art.

Very excited. Really hope some of you can come down. We will be serving drinks as well so if you're in the area def come check out.

Great roster of artists.

We started up our Facebook page @ www.Facebook.com/BottleneckGallery as well.

Last edited:
Your location is key, and people will be hipstering in and out of your gallery. Smart move.

Congrats on the gallery, hope it does well! I have a friend who paints, I have to mention this to him, maybe he'd participate in your theme shows.

Dope art,congrats on doing ur thing,I'm in that area all the time nice to see an nter doing it,keep us posted would love to swing by.

Back
Top Bottom