"OTHER BRAND" - RUNNING shoe thread - asics, saucony, new balance, hoka one one, adidas, reebok, brooks, altra, skechers, etc...

Recently got a pair of Hoka Cielo X 1s and NB SC Elite v.4s and have done only 1 run in each. The good news is that I'm happy with both and look forward to putting more miles in them.

Took the Cielos on a 5 mile easy run, with some strides at the end. All the criticism of the Cielo laces are warranted (they're like plastic ribbons), but I double knotted them and had no issues with them loosening. Upper feels stiff and rough to the touch, but feels perfectly fine on-foot with no lock down issues for me, and it fit my semi-wide foot really well. Also, what others have reported is true--the upper feels like it runs warm and is going to be uncomfortably hot in warmer and/or humid conditions. Midsole is soft and bouncy, and coupled with the rocker, felt fantastic at slow, mid, and fast (for me) speeds. Probably the most instantly likable ride I've tried in the last couple of years. I'm not overly concerned about shoe weights, but I can say that despite the really fun and smooth ride, you really can feel the extra weight compared to to almost every other shoe this one competes with. If this shoe were 1-2 oz lighter, it would be right up there with the VF, AF, AP3 and Endorphin Elites of the world. $275US is also too much when compared to other top end marathon shoes, but I guess it's a better "value" than the Prime X Strung 2, which is more what I see as the Cielo's peer.

The Elite V4s felt pretty good during my one run in them so far (3.5 mile treadmill, moderate pace). Roomy and breathable upper. Be careful about making sure you get the sizing right becuase if you end up having to crank the laces down, you will probably feel significant lace pressure on your instep with the thin laces and thin tongue. Also, some folks have reported rubbing on their achilles from the heel cup. I didn't have any issues in that area while running, but while walking around in them, there were times when my foot was angled in a way that I could feel the edge of the heel cup cutting on my achilles. I can see how this would be really uncomfortable for people whose biomechanics caused that edge to rub during the course of a run. Midsole felt a little firmer, controlled, and aggressive than the V2 (the only other NB SC/RC Elite I've run in), but still plenty cushioned and feels light on the foot. So far, feels like a solid choice, but has less "wow" factor than the Cielo or AF3. All that said, I can see a lot of people using this this as their race day shoe, especially since they offer a 2E option.

Anyway, hope this helps for anyone who's considering buying one of these!

For those who’ve run in the Elite V4, how’s the ratio of comfort/performance? Like, some super shoes are more comfortable than others but the trade off is typically less performance, per se. Or, vice versa. At least, that’s been my experience.

For those who’ve run in the Elite V4, how’s the ratio of comfort/performance? Like, some super shoes are more comfortable than others but the trade off is typically less performance, per se. Or, vice versa. At least, that’s been my experience.

It’s definitely one of the most relaxed super shoes still, but the new Peba based FuelCell is so much more effortless at pace and even up to my HM pace. I feel a bit of the weight at 10k pace or faster but to be honest I don’t think it’s meant for that. I’ve run in the Alphafly 3 and that thing is incredibly aggressive and would be hard to cruise in, whereas I’d be happy doing it in the SC Elite v4. Legs have really felt good after my few runs in it including a long run with pace segments so I’m happy with it.

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg

DN3

I think that’s the shoe worn by Jacob Thomson, 2023 US half marathon champion. He’s also a 2:11 guy.

Nike Everyday Plus Cushion Crews for me. I also wear leg warmers/ compression sleeves over these.

IMG_1139.jpeg

They’re like $10 at the Clearance Store for a six pack. I used to wear running specific socks, but I’d ALWAYS lose one side (indicated by the “L” or “R”). I’m thinking they must have teleported into a different dimension! So… I figured the solution was to purchase many of these, so it wouldn’t be scavenger hunt to look for their counterparts LOL

Nike Everyday Plus Cushion Crews for me. I also wear leg warmers/ compression sleeves over these.

They’re like $10 at the Clearance Store for a six pack. I used to wear running specific socks, but I’d ALWAYS lose one side (indicated by the “L” or “R”). I’m thinking they must have teleported into a different dimension! So… I figured the solution was to purchase many of these, so it wouldn’t be scavenger hunt to look for their counterparts LOL

These are fine for short runs but anything over 10 miles and I get blisters. Once I switched to Balega I haven't had a blister since.

Smartwool socks are top notch. Feetaures and balegas are also very good. You can find these three on sale...just have to do some research

niche question, im breaking in my Brooks Catamount 3s. putting it into runners loop with the eyelet, its not long enough. i so REALLY like the way the laces are, like studded or bumpy on the edges. while playing basketball in the Wade all city 11 v1, those style laces are therer too. anyway someone can point me to laces like that? want to keep that lace style on the catamount 3. since they seem to never untie itself IMO.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 2.19.32 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-21 2.24.28 PM.png

First run in the Cielo X1 and it's one of the bounciest shoes I've ever tried. Yes they weigh a bit more than other super shoes but these are hilarious/fun to run on and incredibly efficient. Like a double layered bouncy cloud. Surprisingly stable too!
IMG_2226.jpg IMG_2225.jpg

Back
Top Bottom