Our societies sense of fashion peaked in the 70's

my step pop had one of these
laugh.gif

63926_1488939578715_1090734491_31051480_4370713_n.jpg

I think it peaked at the 80s.
If I lived during the 80s I'd be rocking apparel like this
publicenemy.jpg

and for the days I wanna get naughty with the ladies, I'll be rocking apparel like this.
mj-bad.jpg

grin.gif
pimp.gif

Each era in fashion had its strong and weak points. I like some of the plaid pants and a lot of the sweaters from the 1970's and even the stuff I may not like gives older folks a lot of swag. When it comes to fashion, especially for men, your style basically becomes frozen in time and the stuff that was stylish when you were about 45 to 55 is what usually stays for the rest of your life. It is usually no problem, of course, because old people can have some unexpected style and swag, things like cardigans and track suits and plaid pants, only to name a few typical old man attire, make people like my 80 year old grand father like such an OG Don/Paisa.

BTW, if I had to pick my favorite era for fashion it would be the mid 1980's, with all of the colorful sweaters, the less colorful but very textured sweater faded polo shirts, the acceptance of dark and neat jeans being worn in lieu of khakis for situations when you would wear loafers and a sport coat. The suits from that era were some of the best (To the younger fans who know Pat Rielly as the white haired, old GM, he was, in the 1980's, the best dressed coach and his 10 to 20 dollars Armani suits made him the picture bringing ample: intensity, dynamism and professionalism, while on the job).

The streets wear did, I will admit, leave a lot to be desired. Skin tight jeans, acid washed jeans, cut off tees (especially for men, who would sometimes have a ton shirts that show the wearer's abs the entire time he wears it) aerobics class style leg warmers and almost anything that was not the sneakers were ugly. in my opinion. Hair was pretty weak as well, mustaches and overly slicked hair (Showtime, 1980's, Laker coach Pat Rielly had way too much pomade and his jet black hair squished down into a very densely packed down helmet of hair and pomade and hair spray) really took away from the clothes that were, apart from the very casual/street wear, very nice and generally cheerful but subtle in character.

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

8.jpg

Pretty sure this one is late 80s, early 90s. 

3rd grade '90, this was me. Coolest kid in the class.
glasses.gif
laugh.gif
glasses.gif

Edit - oh and I had a pair of tie dye slip on Vans back when you could buy them at either Wal-Mart or Kmart for $10 a pop.

Back
Top Bottom