Owner of resell company “West Coast Streetwear” mom is a VP at Nike - UPDATE - mom forced to step down

So who was duped first into buying "100 dollar sneakers?"
The rich kid's parents or the street cat rocking gaudy jewelry?

...Or maybe it was the kid who's parents weren't going for it
who had to work & save up their own money to get them?

Does it matter?

Suckers

Does it matter?

Suckers
People don't understand that MOST things in America are marketed for middle-class people. And if something makes billions of dollars annually it's because of middle-class America. Nobody can match their buying power.

Does it matter?

Suckers
I get what you’re saying but this isn’t what’s being discussed at all

Sneakers have become mainstream starting back around 2005 not gentrified.
I feel that. But if it started with street culture and people of that class, but now the original consumers can’t afford to participate because of resell prices and bots which come from a completely different group of people, that sounds like gentrification

I feel that. But if it started with street culture and people of that class, but now the original consumers can’t afford to participate because of resell prices and bots which come from a completely different group of people, that sounds like gentrification

People could not afford to buy the 1 pair of Jordan's released a year back in the late 80's early 90's so if anything it was worse back then. I used to get 1 maybe 2 pairs of Jordan's a year and that was it and I was considered lucky. People did not own 20+ pairs of sneakers like you see now. Even into the early 2000's it was still pretty uncommon to see someone with 10+ pairs of Jordan's.

“becoming mainstream” is just a more pleasant way of saying gentrified.

Original post was 100% correct.

1615500103008.png

Becoming mainstream is far from the same thing as becoming gentrified. I'm not sure a lot of you are old enough to actually remember who was wearing what back in the 80's and 90's. It was defiantly not limited to any one group of people wearing Jordan's back then. Just take a look at the celebs rocking heat thread and you will see all types of people wearing J's back in the day from heavy metal acts to Jerry Seinfeld.

People could not afford to buy the 1 pair of Jordan's released a year back in the late 80's early 90's so if anything it was worse back then. I used to get 1 maybe 2 pairs of Jordan's a year and that was it and I was considered lucky. People did not own 20+ pairs of sneakers like you see now. Even into the early 2000's it was still pretty uncommon to see someone with 10+ pairs of Jordan's.

1615500103008.png

Becoming mainstream is far from the same thing as becoming gentrified. I'm not sure a lot of you are old enough to actually remember who was wearing what back in the 80's and 90's. It was defiantly not limited to any one group of people wearing Jordan's back then. Just take a look at the celebs rocking heat thread and you will see all types of people wearing J's back in the day from heavy metal acts to Jerry Seinfeld.
💯 People don't understand how expensive they were back then. That's why people were robbing for them.

Look at Jordan's revenues the first few years in the mid 80s, they were in the hundreds of millions. This was not because of the hood.

Yea Idk about it being a “hood” thing or maybe I’m just from the poor ol south. Where I’m from you was the man in the hood if you had 1 pair Jordan’s. Only people I know had all the drops were kids with jobs that only spent their money on sneakers, D boys and spoiled brats. The more things change, the more they stay the same. :lol:

During the og days once it got into the 5’s and 6s it was pretty much an “urban thiBg” meaning the rich white kids weren’t wearing them at school anymore. I remember everybody having 3s and 4s tho. Reebok pumps blew up and other Nike lines like the flight models, max force, and trainer models started competing.
And the people robbing were the street folks because it was out of their reach. And people had rotations in the early 90s and prob before. I know when ahoes started costing over 100 was around the time I started seeing my friends with crack money. Man they copped everything. the culture already existed since the breakdancing days.

And everybody thought Yeezy “won” after leaving Nike.
Only the boost/Supreme boys thought that...they're now wearing dunks
anyone who thinks anyone wins anything because of the shoes they wear already lost.
whole mentality is dumb.
brand loyalty is even dumber.

and if you really wanna keep it real, kanye is more successful now with his adidas line than he was with the air yeezy's.

Lots of white kids never stopped wearing them. For Jordans to reach billions in sales through the 90s it was because white people were buying them.

Y’all really giving rich white kids the credit for popularizing sneakers?

I’m out.

Athletes, advertising agencies and brands are the ones who popularized sneakers. Not any single group is responsible.

And to take that even further the internet is what got 95% of the rest of you involved.

and if you really wanna keep it real, kanye is more successful now with his adidas line than he was with the air yeezy's.

And Nike is bigger than they were when the Air Yeezy's dropped.

I would agree with 2004-2005 when sneakers became more main stream. I was in HS then in (2004-2005) and I got into sneakers sometime around 98 when i was in middle school with most of my classmates and basketball team mates at the time. Mostly because the older guys who were in HS would show up to the gym after us with heat that we never seen before. But around the time mentioned by some (2004-2005), kids who had no interest in street culture, hip hop, or urban brands started wearing them and hyping them up at school. It also became much harder in my opinion to scoop a pair of new Js as well around that time. The cool grey 4s really come to my mind as the first GR that became OD hard to buy.

And Nike is bigger than they were when the Air Yeezy's dropped.
and adidas is bigger now than when they air yeezy's dropped. what's your point? that sneaker brands grow? you are correct. yes they do but no one was arguing that.
my point is that yeezy made the best decision for him when he left nike.

Kanye was never actually with Nike so no real decision was made. Adidas offered him money and some ownership of his brand and Nike did not.

💯 People don't understand how expensive they were back then. That's why people were robbing for them.

Look at Jordan's revenues the first few years in the mid 80s, they were in the hundreds of millions. This was not because of the hood.
This isn't accurate, at all.

I can assure you, people were getting robbed in the seventies for Puma Clydes, and Adidas shell toes. The Puma was sold for 25.88 and the Adidas Pro Model was sold for 40 dollars.

As stated, sneakers were called felony shoes in NYC, and I can also state that during the time when Hip Hop was created, where jams were held, owning several pairs of sneakers were the norm, also changing clothes two times a day, especially if you were an athlete.

This was happening in Black hood's, NYC in particular. WE invented what you all emulate today.

I guess you all are going to say that Elvis Presley made Black music more mainstream as well.

It was gentrified.

Last edited:
I grew up moving all over the country from 88-96 and that's not even close to true. TBH most kids wearing them back then were rich kids.
Well. just because you didn't notice it didn't mean that it wasn't already happening.

The Bronx in the seventies disagrees with you, BIG time.

Rich white kids invented this too?

1615524434121.png

This isn't accurate, at all.

I can assure you, people were getting robbed in the seventies for Puma Clydes, and Adidas shell toes. The Puma was sold for 25.88 and the Adidas Pro Model was sold for 40 dollars.

As stated, sneakers were called felony shoes in NYC, and I can also state that during the time when Hip Hop was created, where jams were held, owning several pairs of sneakers were the norm, also changing clothes two times a day, especially if you were an athlete.

These has happening in Black hood's, NYC in particular. WE invented what you all emulate today.

I guess you all are going to say that Elvis Presley made Black music more mainstream as well.

It was gentrified.
No one is talking about the 70s.

We're talking about mid 80s until early 90s. Are you going to say having several pairs of Jordans was the norm? I don't care what you say that isn't true.

Around these times a few people had Jordan's in my hood and most of them wore one pair all school year. You must be from a privileged-suburb if everyone having several pairs of sneakers was the norm.

Everyone had them back then 5, 6, 7+ because that is when he was playing. It’s not one demographic here. It was everyone who wanted to be like Mike.

No one is talking about the 70s.

We're talking about mid 80s until early 90s. Are you going to say having several pairs of Jordans was the norm? I don't care what you say that isn't true.

Around these times a few people had Jordan's in my hood and most of them wore one pair all school year. You must be from a privileged-suburb if everyone having several pairs of sneakers was the norm.
Sneaker collecting was a Black thing. White people simply ripped the culture off, just like they do everything else.
Bed Stuy Brooklyn here, and I know of what I speak. Jordan’s were not popular like that when they first released, as Adidas was king. Run DMC told everyone, and that was in the 80’s. Bobbito wrote a book about the era, so how are you denying what has been documented?

Sneaker collecting was a Black thing. White people simply ripped the culture off, just like they do everything else.
Bed Stuy Brooklyn here, and I know of what I speak. Jordan’s were not popular like that when they first released, as Adidas was king. Run DMC told everyone, and that was in the 80’s. Bobbito wrote a book about the era, so how are you denying what has been documented?

Ok, so you just said Jordan's were not that popular in the hood when they first released, Adidas were.

Let's look at Air Jordan's first year sales, 1985.

The apparel brand launched the Air Jordan sneaker in 1984 and placed a sales goal of $3 million over the first three years. Jordan shattered that goal and the shoe went on to make $126 million in the first year alone.May 4, 2020
https://therookiewire.usatoday.com › ...
Jordan completely shattered expectations by Nike ... - The Rookie Wire - USA Today

Remember these are 1985 dollars, so 126 might not sound like much. But Nike only expected 3 million for a product that was released nationwide.

So if the hood wasn't wearing them because the hood was wearing Adidas, who bought all these shoes in record numbers? 🤔

Thanks, for proving my point about middle-class people. Don't bother responding, you and your hero Bobbito are now on mute. 🤣

Ok, so you just said Jordan's were not that popular in the hood when they first released, Adidas were.

Let's look at Air Jordan's first year sales, 1985.

The apparel brand launched the Air Jordan sneaker in 1984 and placed a sales goal of $3 million over the first three years. Jordan shattered that goal and the shoe went on to make $126 million in the first year alone.May 4, 2020
https://therookiewire.usatoday.com › ...
Jordan completely shattered expectations by Nike ... - The Rookie Wire - USA Today

Remember these are 1985 dollars, so 126 might not sound like much. But Nike only expected 3 million for a product that was released nationwide.

So if the hood wasn't wearing them because the hood was wearing Adidas, who bought all these shoes in record numbers? 🤔

Thanks, for proving my point about middle-class people. Don't bother responding, you and your hero Bobbito are now on mute. 🤣
It shattered NIKE’s expectations, but Nike did not outdo Adidas nor Converse in sales, it wasn’t even close. In fact Reebok outsold Nike in the eighties and early nineties as well. As far as collecting and wearing multiple pairs? That was a Black thing, a hood thing. White suburbia was ashamed to be associated with such...until Nike began to market toward that demo.

Back
Top Bottom