Owner of resell company “West Coast Streetwear” mom is a VP at Nike - UPDATE - mom forced to step down

This thread for me crying. I grew up in the projects and also lived in the suburbs & I PROMISE you there was a huge difference in people who worse Jordan’s when I used to go back and forth between neighborhoods.
Really not sure how you argue this but alas here we are.

Really not sure how you argue this but alas here we are.

Same people want to blame Travis, Kanye, Virgil, Jerry Lorenzo etc for making their favorite shoes hot but in the same sentence going to say the affluent suburbs is were sneaker culture originated?

That math's not mathing.

Can't speak on other demographics but white adults weren't wearing them in the 90s.
Exactly. But in urban areas and hoods, black kids AND adults were rocking Js. The whole family had Js down to the little kids, women and babies. Did white women even rock Js in the 90s? Let alone white parents putting Js on their babies feet? So how can anyone even compare who contributed more to the sneaker culture in that regard back then.

I can definitely speak on this myself I went to a school in the projects , growing up my moms got herself a better job we moved to a more suburban neighborhood all I seen was vans, supras and sperrys. That's where I got that "jordans are for ghetto people" from a girl in my class to me and the homie.

Can attest to this. went to a private mostly white high school 2003-2007; only people into Jordans, SBs, AF1s were black, Asian, Mexican, and the strange white kids who wore FUBU. The rest of the rich white kids definitely called us all “ghetto”.

I’m not sure what the topic is now, but it kind of looks like it’s who made Jordans influential besides the man himself.

I’m 43 years old and remember the era vividly. The bottom line is Hip Hop/Rap made Jordans popular and then it trickled into heavy metal around the same time.

0BA466CA-1CF9-4764-AF81-542538C32B3E.jpeg

D7AE7D26-1EB2-4F2F-8AB5-86FD2D1B4F70.jpeg

22F37977-5E25-4E2C-998D-2A526B0E87D4.jpeg

FF3D9843-CE34-475C-AC6C-C4E07FEDAE03.jpeg

Is this really a discussion? :lol: :smh:

Same people want to blame Travis, Kanye, Virgil, Jerry Lorenzo etc for making their favorite shoes hot but in the same sentence going to say the affluent suburbs is were sneaker culture originated?

That math's not mathing.
Micheal Jordan is a black man. Look at every person Nike and other bands used to endorse their stuff. I don’t think Kevin Garnett was chosen for his ability to “speak to the white community” :lol: What the **** are people even taking about in here? :rofl:

Can attest to this. went to a private mostly white high school 2003-2007; only people into Jordan’s, SBs, AF1s were black, Asian, and the strange white kids who wore FUBU. The rest of the rich white kids definitely called us all “ghetto”.
Jordan’s were the official white stereotype for black and brown drug dealers along with pagers, gold chains, and rims. Something else that can’t be argued

Jordan’s were the official white stereotype for black and brown drug dealers along with pagers, gold chains, and rims. Something else that can’t be argued

It was really bizarre because most of the minorities who went to my school came from middle class/rich neighborhoods, got good grades, and are successful today, while the rich white kids were straight C students who either have random jobs or got hooked up by their parents. I guess skin color+“Urban” wear and not wearing XXS Hollister/Abercrombie t shirts with cargo shorts made us “ghetto”

so yeah, crediting rich white kids for popularizing sneakers/street wear is completely off :lol:

Last edited:
Nobody remembers British Knights? They were popular as hell for a while. One particular model had everyone going crazy.

Everyone was into sneakers in my neighborhood growing up. Most kids had part time jobs when they got old enough to work to fund their shoe habit. Just because you're in the hood don't mean you're flat broke.

As for Jordans, just give me my Cool Grey 11s and I can go back into retirement. Those will be the first pair of Jordans I've bought in two years.

Same. Black, white, elementary, high school, upper, middle and lower class... sneakers were a big deal for everyone. Jordan 5's/6's, BK's, Dee Browns, anything with 3 stripes. I loved these as a youngster. If you stepped on them, definite problems.

feb48479b2e6e6a2b1972e803db74c66.jpg
2266_08.jpg.jpeg

Saying it’s a “hood” thing is offensive to people who actually lived in hoods that couldn’t even afford joke about buying Jordan’s.
I’m younger but based on my experiences growing up Jordans we’re more of an upscale item. My moms friends would tease her and say I was spoiled bc she bought me so many Jordans. The idea of the whole hood rockin Jordans I ain’t ever seen that until recently. People wanted them but they couldn’t afford them. Just the rappers, drug dealers, etc.

Hope you weren’t offended, I just don’t think it’s a definitive that the reason they were selling billions is because of white people. How can that be definitive when shoes is part of fashion and fashion is definitely trendy. Hence trendsetter/influencers are important more than they are given credit for. Hip-hop has changed the world in multiple ways

Delusional to say the very least....I must've missed the Taylor Swift Jordan 1's and the Nickelback 4's.

Bringing up sales numbers from the 80's and 90's like there is any direct correlation to that and today's sneaker resell market. Hip-hop, basketball, and SNEAKERS are all connected. ALL of which are bigger now in 2021 than ever before. Why? Because URBAN culture decides what's cool. It's that simple.
Delusional to say the very least....I must've missed the Taylor Swift Jordan 1's and the Nickelback 4's.

Bringing up sales numbers from the 80's and 90's like there is any direct correlation to that and today's sneaker resell market. Hip-hop, basketball, and SNEAKERS are all connected. ALL of which are bigger now in 2021 than ever before. Why? Because URBAN culture decides what's cool. It's that simple.

You guys are saying something else. And again, I was only talking of the 80s and 90s.

People in this thread don't understand that when something goes mainstream in America, the middle-class is buying it. And what was the middle-class back then? Mainly white.

Jordans were mainstream from the very first model.

I'm not arguing that the suburban kids couldn't have copied the urban kids in their style. I'm saying that Jordans doing those numbers back then was because white people were buying them.

I think that's just basic economics and American culture. When you have ads during the Super Bowl, ads with Bugs Bunny, Mcdonalds, Coke, you are the definition of mainstream.

The argument started because people in here were making it seem like Jordan Brand was the little brand that the hood built, when they've been mainstream from day 1.

Saying it’s a “hood” thing is offensive to people who actually lived in hoods that couldn’t even afford joke about buying Jordan’s.

I’m younger but based on my experiences growing up Jordans we’re more of an upscale item. My moms friends would tease her and say I was spoiled bc she bought me so many Jordans. The idea of the whole hood rockin Jordans I ain’t ever seen that until recently. People wanted them but they couldn’t afford them. Just the rappers, drug dealers, etc.

Most of the people in here aren't from a poor neighborhood but they're quick to speak-up for them. Like you guys said in, poor neighborhoods mainly drug-dealers and a kid here and there had them. Everyone didn't have them, same way where I was from. (80s and 90s)

Most of the people in here aren't from a poor neighborhood but they're quick to speak-up for them. Like you guys said in, poor neighborhoods mainly drug-dealers and a kid here and there had them. Everyone didn't have them, same way where I was from. (80s and 90s)
Who said poor people were the ones who originated the urban street wear culture? Y’all just don’t know what y’all are talking about. Simple as that.

Exactly. But in urban areas and hoods, black kids AND adults were rocking Js. The whole family had Js down to the little kids, women and babies. Did white women even rock Js in the 90s? Let alone white parents putting Js on their babies feet? So how can anyone even compare who contributed more to the sneaker culture in that regard back then.
Oh I'm not comparing anything or saying who contributed to anything. I'm just saying that a lot of white kids grew up in the 80s and 90s wearing J's and continued to do so as they got older. Video games are similar. When I was a kid, any adult playing video games was a nerd. Parents talked about how much of a waste of time they were. But now those Nintendo kids are 45 years old and still playing games. Video games are more mainstream bc the kids that grew up with them are now adults. It's not just a kids thing anymore. I do think sneakers were bigger across all black age groups before before were all white age groups. No argument there. It took the white kids that grew up idolozing MJ to become adults before all ages of white people were wearing them bc white adults were not doing that in the 90s.

I absolutely agree that black culture made sneakers in general a bigger and more important thing though. No argument there at all. The idea of multiple pairs and pairs for fits and all that definitely came from black culture.

Back
Top Bottom