Pac 12 Basketball Thread

Originally Posted by Gregory House

A lot of people are underestimating Cal, but that's fine. We are a lot better than that debacle that we had happened last season.

again did you get a new HC? why is this cal team any different from past cal teams? your talent is not that good and your HC is a career choker in big games

In case anyone is headed to Vegas, the MGM/Mirage line for Stanford moved from 15/1 to 20/1 for the BCS championship. Sucks since I got it in when the line opened

Originally Posted by Gregory House

A lot of people are underestimating Cal, but that's fine. We are a lot better than that debacle that we had happened last season.

x2. The offense, for the first time in years, finally has signs of being potent. Having a mobile QB for the first time will make Cal's offense more multidimensional and unpredictable. In the Fresno State game, it was surprising to see some pistol/option plays being ran, as it's never happened in the Tedford era. And the defense on paper has the talent to compete with the top Pac-12 teams; it's a matter of Tedford putting together a game plan for big games. It's not like he hasn't won any big games; Cal has won some huge games, including beating Oregon at Autzen back in '07 I believe.

But overall, with having a semblance of a real offense this year (compared to last year), I'm hopeful. I still expect a 6-8 win season and a low-tier bowl but I'd be happy with that since the team is young. Hopefully in the next two years they can be back to being real Rose Bowl contenders.

I think Mike said in the official college thread that he's hoping Neuheisel does awful in order for us to get a new coach next season. But I was wondering who would the candidates be? Would Urban Meyer be a realistic candidate? Maybe he would want another go around with Kiffin.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

I think Mike said in the official college thread that he's hoping Neuheisel does awful in order for us to get a new coach next season. But I was wondering who would the candidates be? Would Urban Meyer be a realistic candidate? Maybe he would want another go around with Kiffin.

not really because we wont pay the money for him. UCLA coud turn into a big time job if they ever put money into getting a real HC. the names that keep coming up are Mike leach and mike bellotti.

It's not like he hasn't won any big games; Cal has won some huge games, including beating Oregon at Autzen back in '07 I believe. 

really? going off 4 years ago?
roll.gif

Quick Look at the second weeks games

by Ted Miller
Each Pac-12 team plays again this week, and no game is against an FCS foe. Here's a quick look (all times ET). 

Thursday, Sept. 8 
Arizona at Oklahoma State
, 8 p.m. (ESPN): Arizona is hoping for revenge after getting embarrassed in the 2010 Alamo Bowl, but the No. 9 Cowboys are loaded, particularly on offense with quarterback Brandon Weeden and wide receiver Justin Blackmon, last seen showboating horribly on a long touchdown reception. First of three games against top-10 teams. Up next Stanford. 

Friday, Sept. 9 
Missouri at Arizona State, 10:30 p.m. (ESPN): The Sun Devils can announce their national arrival if they can best No. 21 Missouri. The Tigers have a lot of guys back, and QB James Franklin, a new starter, is a touted dual-threat. He's been telling everyone he's going to run over Vontaze Burfict. Kidding! Completely made that up. Up next at Illinois. 

Saturday, Sept. 10 
Oregon State at Wisconsin
, noon (ESPN or ESPN2): The Beavers should be plenty motivated after losing at home to Sacramento State, an FCS team. The Badgers looked dominant while stomping UNLV and have extra time time to prepare. Wisconsin, ranked 11th, looked good before quarterback Russell Wilson arrived. Now they look like national title contenders. Up next off. 

Stanford at Duke, 3:30 p.m. (ESPNU): The SAT Bowl! The two best private schools playing FBS football, but the Cardinal play the game a little bit better with quarterback Andrew Luck. Now if this were hoops ... Up next at Arizona. 

Nevada at Oregon
, 3:30 p.m. (FX): Ducks try to bounce back at home after losing to LSU. The Wolf Pack lost many key starters from a 13-1 team from 2010, and we don't know what they will look like after an opening week bye. But Nevada isn't a team to take lightly. 

California at Colorado
, 3:30 p.m. (FCS/CSNCA): It's a nonconference conference game -- it was pre-scheduled and doesn't count in the Pac-12 standings. The Buffs will want revenge for last season's embarrassing 52-7 defeat in Berkeley, but Cal looked good and Colorado not so much in the opening weekend. Up next for Cal Presbyterian. Up next for Colorado Colorado State. 

Hawaii at Washington
, 3:30 p.m. (Root NW): Hawaii whipped Colorado in the opener, but the Warriors are a much better team at home. Still, the Huskies looked bad while winning a nail-biter against Eastern Washington, particularly the pass defense. Enter Hawaii quarterback Bryant Moniz, one of the nation's most prolific passers. 

UNLV at Washington State
, 5 p.m.: This is a huge game for the Cougars bowl hopes. With quarterback Jeff Tuel, the Cougars would seem like a decisive favorite at home. Without him, this feels more like a pick 'em. Back quarterback Marshall Lobbestael needs to come up big for coach Paul Wulff. Up next at San Diego State. 

Utah at USC
, 7:30 p.m. (Versus): The first-ever Pac-12 game (at least that counts in the standings)! Utah wants to prove it belongs. USC, which is not eligible to win the South Division because of NCAA sanctions, wants to show the Utes it plans to rule the South as soon as it is unyoked by the NCAA. Neither team was thrilled by its Week 1 performance.Up next for Utah at BYU. Up next for USC Syracuse. 

San Jose State at UCLA
, 10 p.m. (FSN West): UCLA should bounce back after losing at Houston, but it needs a quality performance not one that is "just enough." Odds areRichard Brehaut gets the start. At this point, it's the defense that needs to make more of a statement after the offense did well at Houston. Up next Texas.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/25166/quick-look-at-second-weeks-games

[table][tr][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td][table][tr][td]
inShare0[/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]http://
track

[img]http://extras.mnginteractive.c..._055350_button_reprint_license_this.gif[/img]Reprint Print�� [img]http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/icon-email.gif[/img]Email��
normal.gif
large.gif
largest.gif
Font Resize
[h1]Fox Sports apologizes for Pac-12 video that allegedly mocked Asian students at USC[/h1]
By Brittany Anas

Boulder Daily Camera

Posted:�09/07/2011 09:00:17 AM PDT

Updated:�09/07/2011 10:03:20 AM PDT

BOULDER, Colo. -- Fox Sports is apologizing for an "inappropriate" video filmed on the University of Southern California campus that critics say mocks Asian students -- most of whom appear to know little about college football -- by singling them out and prompting them to welcome Colorado and Utah to the Pac-12.

The video has since been removed from Fox's website. But a University of Colorado ethnic studies professor said Tuesday that he finds it troubling, saying it perpetuates racist myths about Asians being "un-American."

In a statement provided to the Camera on Tuesday, Lou D'Ermilio -- a spokesman for Fox Sports Network -- said the network apologizes to the USC community for producing and posting the
video.
"The context was clearly inappropriate and the video was removed as soon as we became aware of it," he said in the statement. "We will review our editorial process to determine where the breakdown occurred, and we will take steps to ensure something like this never happens again."

CU's football team hosts the USC Trojans at 7 p.m. Nov. 4.

For the video, Bob Oschack -- a comedian who labeled himself as an "investigative reporter" for Fox Sports -- approached Asian students on the USC campus, asking them how they feel about CU and the University of Utah becoming the newest members of the Pac-12 conference.

In his introduction, Oschack says: "Let's give the conference's two newest members a good, old-fashioned,

Advertisement

http://clicks.beap.ad.yieldmanager....kJG5vc2NyaXB0LHJkJDExMWJ0dm5oNCkp/0/*<a href=/www.securedgoldbuyers.com/">http://www.securedgoldbuyers.com/" target="_blank">
e4675678-b01c-4491-8365-81c1c3fb1d38
i

all-American welcome!" He then appears to mock students' accents, corrects their grammatical mistakes in a seemingly condescending tone and pretends to mistake what they're saying for the sake of laughs.
One student enthusiastically says, "Welcome to Colorado and Utah!" and is interrupted by Oschack: "No, you're saying welcome to Colorado and Utah. We're in Los Angeles." He also includes a student who admits that she doesn't know much about football and says, "Welcome Colorado and Utah to the top 12." Darryl Maeda, a professor in CU's Ethnic Studies department, said that Fox Sports should be apologizing to Asian Americans -- not just the USC community -- who are demeaned by the video. He also said that Fox should publicly reprimand Oschack.

Despite the fact that Asians have been in the United States for more than a century and a half, Maeda said, they are frequently seen as perpetual foreigners and the antithesis of "good Americans." Oschack reinforces this stereotype, Maeda said, when he purports to give CU and Utah an "All-American welcome" to the Pac-12, then goes out of his way to find Asian students for whom English is a second language.

"This is demeaning to millions of Asian Americans who have put down deep roots in the United States, claim English as their language and root vigorously for their favorite sports teams," Maeda said.

Oschack's portrayal of Asian Americans as "perpetual foreigners" harks back to racist actions such as the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II and the passage of the Chinese Exclusion Act, Maeda said.

"It has no place in a diverse and civil society," he said.

Asian students made up 21.6 percent of the undergraduate student body at USC in 2010, according to campus statistics, and international students made up 11.2 percent.

CU and Utah officially entered the Pac-12 in July.

;feature=player_embedd
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

smh....fox news extends to their sports now
30t6p3b.gif

Cal just needs to get their facilities finished by fall '12 and finally take the problem to the next level.
pimp.gif

edit:
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
at that video

If Stanford loses @ Arizona, they will lose 5 games this year. They never play well in Arizona.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Standford losing 5? I don't know about that.

I'm the biggest Stanford fan out there, but I know this team too well. They lose at Arizona and disappointment will rise over the team. They want a natty.
I see potential losses to only USC and Oregon, but Notre Dame and Cal could give them a run.

Notre Dame?????? They are consistently the most overrated team in the country and Stanford will destroy them. I don't think USC is going to be as good as everyone is saying, their coach is a bum. I think Oregons season will snowball a little now and they will finish with 3-4 losses.

I knew with Juron being out this was an uphill battle, but this is ridiculous. I'm turning off the TV 
frown.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I'm actually disappointed with Arizona, so I can imagine the fans of the Wildcats.

Pac-12 so far
30t6p3b.gif

Greeting from Corvallis. Heading out to Wisconsin tomorrow. Should be LOADS of fun Saturday morning
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

At least the hotel has an indoor water park
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

^^^ Have fun up there man, going to be a rough game
30t6p3b.gif

What is your opinion on who should be starting QB??  Sounds like Mannion has been getting the reps all week, wouldn't mind seeing what the kid has.  Katz needs to step up if he starts if not I can see him being done.

Katz... for now. Give him a short leash vs. the Badgers and see if he can right the ship.

I think the o-line problems from last year shell shocked him bad and it's still lingering into this year. Mannion on the other hand has looked pretty good through fall camp so I can see where Riley would want to give him a shot. What I don't want is another 2QB rotation like what Moevao and Canfield had. Just give the reins to the better QB and let the chips fall. It's not like they have huge expectations to shoot for anyway.

Still can't believe they lost to Sac. State.
30t6p3b.gif
Those kids had NO fire on the sidelines, no passion, no sense of urgency in the first half... and it all mostly stems from the HC.
30t6p3b.gif

FYI - James Rogers was rocking the Jordan V Premio Bin 23 during the Sacramento game. I was kind of amazed, dumbfounded, and astonished all at once
laugh.gif

No Criner hurt today but obviously wouldn't have changed much.  Arizona isn't very good, but they aren't as bad as their display tonight.  Good thing our schedule gets a little lighter the next few weeks...
Oregon

Stanford

@USC

Oh wait...

Back
Top Bottom