Page Freezing

HIM

I’m using safari on iPhone. Every few scrolls, the page completely freezes and I have to close my app and re-open.

Same here as well. I'm pretty sure it's because they just implemented a huge banner that shames you for using an ad blocker, which pops up every ******* time I load a page. It's such BS, might as well stop going on here if we're not allowing ad blockers here.

Same issue. Page freezes when scrolling and have to refresh to solve.

I’m using Safari on iOS

I thought it was just me. Every thread I open I have to refresh to be able to go through and read. Also using Safari.

We're looking into this. Sometimes tab crashing occurs due to insufficienct memory. What device are you using?

Same here as well. I'm pretty sure it's because they just implemented a huge banner that shames you for using an ad blocker, which pops up every ******* time I load a page. It's such BS, might as well stop going on here if we're not allowing ad blockers here.

NikeTalk costs money to host. We've been exploring the use of auto-affiliate generating links to help (if you post a link to a product at a participating merchant and someone completes a purchase, NikeTalk would receive a commission), but right now that only amounts to a few dollars per day. It's unlikely that we'll be able to make enough with it to go ad-free, but if performance improves we may be able to reduce the number of ads for registered members and try to increase traffic for passive readers to offset that.

In the meantime, we offer account upgrades for those who don't want to view the ads.

Is it a guarantee that upgrading your account and removing the ads that way as opposed to an ad blocker will help with the site needing to be refreshed constantly?

Is it a guarantee that upgrading your account and removing the ads that way as opposed to an ad blocker will help with the site needing to be refreshed constantly?
I suggested account upgrades to a user who complained that the use of ad blockers was being discouraged, not to resolve the page refresh issue.

When I've encountered the forced tab reloading issue in my own testing, it's primarily been 1) on pages with many embedded social media posts and 2) when testing with an older device. Going ad-free can help reduce the overall memory footprint of a tab, but I can't guarantee it would solve the problem for you so I wouldn't suggest it unless that's something you want to do purely for its own sake.

Ultimately, we want the site to work well for everyone. Our staff members use the ad-supported version of the site, because that's what most people use and we want that to be the best experience possible.

We're looking into this. Sometimes tab crashing occurs due to insufficiency memory. What device are you using?

NikeTalk costs money to host. We've been exploring the use of auto-affiliate generating links to help (if you post a link to a product at a participating merchant and someone completes a purchase, NikeTalk would receive a commission), but right now that only amounts to a few dollars per day. It's unlikely that we'll be able to make enough with it to go ad-free, but if performance improves we may be able to reduce the number of ads for registered members and try to increase traffic for passive readers to offset that.

In the meantime, we offer account upgrades for those who don't want to view the ads.
Damn I was pretty abrasive in that post when I made it many months ago, maybe I was having a bad day so I apologize for that first and foremost. Yeah I understand that now as you have reminded me of past forums that have come and go, which sucks but it's probably for that reason of profitablity. So the current system works fine enough, I was sad when Anandtech shut down so I may subscribe as a way to support the site in the future, thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom