Paris 2024 Summer Olympics: Medal Count — USA Men’s Volleyball vs. Italy Bronze Medal Match🥇🥈🥉

I think the IOC was in a tough taking over on relatively short notice.

I think they are balancing a number of things,

- Fairness to Khelif; who has undoubtedly been jerked around and treated unfairly by the IBA.
- Consistency of process; spinning up a whole new sex testing and DSD policy on short notice against their own policy I feels unfair.
- privacy; can't be asking one or two athletes to submit themselves to sex testing based off the word of a potential corrupt organization
- preservation of the protected category;
- safety of the other female competitors.

if we were dealing with a non contact sport, I would have prob did what the IOC did, and just let it rock.
but i think given the fact that it's a combat sport, which carries greater risk of injury,

I believe they should have came up with a DSD and sex testing policy.

it would have been short notice, and honestly unfair to Khelif, but I think the combat sport aspect tips it for me.

but i think it's a close call.
So you are fundamentally saying that you think all women that test over certain testosterone level or have a Y chromosome should be banned from boxing in the Olympics?

And even though it has been shown that Khelif competing has not endangered other competitors, and doesn't seem to have an unfair advantage in the ring, should have been banned if she failed such test?

And all this should have been put together in less than a year.

Last edited:

mic-drop-obama.gif

Well said

So you are fundamentally saying that you think all women that test over certain testosterone level or have a Y chromosome should be banned from boxing in the Olympics?

And even though it has been shown that Khelif competing has not endangered other competitors, and doesn't seem to have an unfair advantage in the ring, should have been banned if she failed such test?

And all this should have been through together in less than a year.

Yes, I think I think that DSDs that give you male typical testosterone typical ranges or male physiology should.be banned.

There are I'm sure more murky edge cases that can be harder lines to draw, given the time contraints they should be allowed to box.

But if it's a case with let's say undescended testes, male testosterone levels and physiology. I think no they should not be allowed to compete.

But I don't think it's crazy to ban that and test for chromosomes and test levels. It's an extraordinary situation so I think more extraordinary actions can be justified.

AlsoI don't think their previous results really matter that much imo.

If we are segregating for male sexed advantage, the previous results don't matter you can come in last place and still technically be benefiting from a steroid for example.

You could be on steroids on not have injured an opponent yet,

but each match is still a risk that we are supposed to be shielding a protected class from.

I have no idea if the boxer has a dsd, but if the IOC took over for the IBA and they think their policy on DSDs and sex testing is corrupt, imo they should have come up with something with some sex testing and. Testosterone testing.

Yes, I think I think that DSDs that give you male typical testosterone typical ranges or male physiology should.be banned.

There are I'm sure more murky edge cases that can be harder lines to draw, given the time contraints they should be allowed to box.

But if it's a case with let's say undescended testes, male testosterone levels and physiology. I think no they should not be allowed to compete.

But I don't think it's crazy to ban that and test for chromosomes and test levels. It's an extraordinary situation so I think more extraordinary actions can be justified.

AlsoI don't think their previous results really matter that much imo.

If we are segregating for male sexed advantage, the previous results don't matter you can come in last place and still technically be benefiting from a steroid for example.

You could be on steroids on not have injured an opponent yet,

but each match is still a risk that we are supposed to be shielding a protected class from.
Ok, you should have just said you wanted these athletes banned from the jump.

And I think the argument you presented as to many holes and what ifs for me to find it convincing in regards to these games. Theoretically I see the concern, but not really here.

And since the IOC probably is not gonna run the 2028 games, this is kinda a settled issue regarding the IOC. Under the IOC governance, Khelif injured zero women. And even lost to one.

So yeah, it is hard for me to land in the same spot as you on this situation.

I have no idea if the boxer has a dsd, but if the IOC took over for the IBA and they think their policy on DSDs and sex testing is corrupt, imo they should have come up with something with some sex testing and. Testosterone testing.
They took over in 2019, IBA has no sex testing in place. The sex testing issue came up in March of 2023.

Qualifications for 2024 started late June of 2023

So you are saying in like 12 weeks the IOC should have conducted the studies, consolations with experts in the field to come up with a criteria, and building a testing infrastructure.

I think that would have been near impossible

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom