Paris 2024 Summer Olympics: Medal Count — USA Men’s Volleyball vs. Italy Bronze Medal Match🥇🥈🥉

For those unfamiliar, buddy at the high jump, before they entered a tiebreak, buddy could have opted for both of the final 2 to both get gold and end the competition there.
He opted for a tie-break, and then made none of his tie break jumps, giving the other guy the gold and he got... nothing.
He could have had a guaranteed shared gold with the other guy, and we would be up 41-40 now.
He chose to run it and got nothing.
Ego got in the way. Probably wanted to be the only winner. Last olympics the two guys in the lead decided to share the lead. Both were so happy to get gold.

For those unfamiliar, buddy at the high jump, before they entered a tiebreak, buddy could have opted for both of the final 2 to both get gold and end the competition there.
He opted for a tie-break, and then made none of his tie break jumps, giving the other guy the gold and he got... nothing.
He could have had a guaranteed shared gold with the other guy, and we would be up 41-40 now.
He chose to run it and got nothing.
Ego got in the way. Probably wanted to be the only winner. Last olympics the two guys in the lead decided to share the lead. Both were so happy to get gold.

I still don’t get the high jumpers reasoning

You got a guaranteed gold medal

I could see maybe if you had won the previous two golds or something.. so you at least already got couple gold medals at home

What was she mad about?

Apparently the story is that they have this prioritisation thing so you have to put your team first - but for USA they work around that. She went to something for the France national team, she thought with permission, but when she got back she got suspended - then traded to LA, but because of the suspension she’s not allowed to play for the rest of the year.

She was definitely trying to take it out on them and it would have been amazing if that shot had been a 3.

Been a swell period watching sports everyday, will miss it.

Love this every 4 years.
Can't believe it's all over again.
I LOVE LA!!!!

Yeah, I always feel a bit lost the next few days with nothing on. It’s a tough couple of months for me - I’ve got to fit in 3 weeks of the Tour de France which is at least an hour of TV and a podcast each day, then this - I’ve got things I need to be doing!

Got it. Was wondering if her and Marine Johannes bae took the wnba season off to prioritize the olympics. I remember in previous years, her season in France would end after a wnba deadline that prevented her from playing.

I could see maybe if you had won the previous two golds or something.. so you at least already got couple gold medals at home
I love the fact that he chose to go all in.

He got swept up in the spirit of competition and chose not to play it safe.

…that’s a true champion.

Yeah, I always feel a bit lost the next few days with nothing on. It’s a tough couple of months for me - I’ve got to fit in 3 weeks of the Tour de France which is at least an hour of TV and a podcast each day, then this - I’ve got things I need to be doing!
I’m depressed.

I love the fact that he chose to go all in.

He got swept up in the spirit of competition and chose not to play it safe.

…that’s a true champion.
He would have still gotten gold if he had opted not to do the tiebreak, though.
Literally the only reason to opt-in for a tie-break is that you want the gold by yourself instead of both you and the other guy each getting a gold.
It's over and now he just has silver, and silver is still an amazing accomplishment... but he deflected a gold to get that silver.

Was it US vs China?

Wanted to up the medal count on them?

He would have still gotten gold if he had opted not to do the tiebreak, though.
Literally the only reason to opt-in for a tie-break is that you want the gold by yourself instead of both you and the other guy each getting a gold.
It's over and now he just has silver, and silver is still an amazing accomplishment... but he deflected a gold to get that silver.
That’s exactly the point.

To accept a tie out of fear that you might lose, defies the purpose of going for a gold medal in the first place.

He chose to compete to the very end, regardless of the outcome.

…I respect that.

That’s exactly the point.

To accept a tie out of fear that you might lose, defies the purpose of going for a gold medal in the first place.

He chose to compete to the very end, regardless of the outcome.

…I respect that.
Aaaaahhhh, I gotcha.
I didn't know that you knew they were both guaranteed, and the only reason for a tie-break was so that only 1 person gets a gold.
I respect the competitive spirit, absolutely, but I can't understand denying a guaranteed gold.
😂😬

Back
Top Bottom