Parks and Recreation vol. Ron Swanson ftw

Once you get past the similarities in production (since it's created by the same people) the show's aren't as similar as some may think.

Early Office (like the original UK) was awkward and dry with plenty of cringe worthy moments. It was supposed to be a contained show about the daily life of regular office workers, featuring Steve Carrell as the zany leader and everyone playing off him within their set character roles. Eventually the show expanded into the traditional sitcom and rounded out the characters and developed them/ruined them and the show jumped the shark.

Parks creates an entire world of Pawnee, and while it's set mainly in the office of the parks department, it isn't supposed to be a daily journal of these characters... it's more of a traditional show with rounded and development characters. With the Office you're supposed to be seeing these "real" characters through the eyes of the documentary crew, but that's not the case with Parks. Poehler reigns in the Carrell impersonation and she isn't the incompetent boss Carrell is, there isn't a Ron on the Office, there isn't a Ann Perkins or Donna or April. Parks gives you humor about government, about the locals (any town meeting is brilliant), the Libertarian beliefs of Swanson, the Diddy inspired life of Tom, etc.

Parks creates an environment similar to The Simpsons or King of the Hill with a whole town filled with characters and stories that are waiting to be discovered/addressed. Creatively the Office and Parks aim to do a lot of different things, and they're both successful (the Office early on and Parks after season 1). Where Parks succeeds is where the Office failed, it has room to grow and theoretically infinite stories. At a certain point the Office either had to end (like the UK version) or expand and thus ruin the original premise. With Parks the show was created with expansion in mind, the entire town + the outside world is available to be part of the story, plus the Parks department's own interactions combine to a different kind of series that shouldn't face the same struggles of the Office.

^Damn, that was deep
eek.gif

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I actually gave up on this show during the first season. Then I heard some great things about season 2. So midway through that, I started watching again. I'm glad I jumped back on board. Leslie was too wacky and weird in season 1. Huge turnoff. Then season 2 came around and the other characters really stood out. One of the best comedies out there right now.. Give it a chance, or just skim through season 1 and go to season 2. Lots of great shows go through growing pains. For this show, it was a mere 6 episodes. Others struggle for longer and given much more credit.

this is why i just stopped watching and never turned back.  now i'm interested again
embarassed.gif

should i just skip straight to season 2?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I actually gave up on this show during the first season. Then I heard some great things about season 2. So midway through that, I started watching again. I'm glad I jumped back on board. Leslie was too wacky and weird in season 1. Huge turnoff. Then season 2 came around and the other characters really stood out. One of the best comedies out there right now.. Give it a chance, or just skim through season 1 and go to season 2. Lots of great shows go through growing pains. For this show, it was a mere 6 episodes. Others struggle for longer and given much more credit.

this is why i just stopped watching and never turned back.  now i'm interested again
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^Damn, that was deep
eek.gif
laugh.gif
I tried to articulate it the best I could, venom is knowledgeable so I figured he would appreciate the analysis.

embarassed.gif

The first season is only 6 episodes, so if you have a couple hours you can get through it just to get the basic story. You could probably just read the episode descriptions on Wikipedia if you really hate season 1
laugh.gif
It's easily a top comedy on TV right now and has only gotten better in season 3.

^Damn, that was deep
eek.gif
laugh.gif
I tried to articulate it the best I could, venom is knowledgeable so I figured he would appreciate the analysis.

embarassed.gif

The first season is only 6 episodes, so if you have a couple hours you can get through it just to get the basic story. You could probably just read the episode descriptions on Wikipedia if you really hate season 1
laugh.gif
It's easily a top comedy on TV right now and has only gotten better in season 3.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

^Damn, that was deep
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I just went through 4 episodes of season 2 right after I posted.  It definitely picked up, and I forgot all about rashida
devil.gif

Thanks fam

^Damn, that was deep
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I just went through 4 episodes of season 2 right after I posted.  It definitely picked up, and I forgot all about rashida
devil.gif

Thanks fam

aubrey plaza was on leno last week...she seems kinda true to her character, somewhat socially awkward, either that or shes a really good actress (doubtful)
she's kinda cute i guess, but she has the curves of a 10 year old boy...

aubrey plaza was on leno last week...she seems kinda true to her character, somewhat socially awkward, either that or shes a really good actress (doubtful)

Originally Posted by grusumm18

That's her whole comedy shtick. She acted the same way in Funny People and in some short clips on Funnyordie.

Originally Posted by grusumm18

That's her whole comedy shtick. She acted the same way in Funny People and in some short clips on Funnyordie.

Terrrific episodes this week

Snake Juice was great, any time the group goes outside the office I usually enjoy it, and any time Jean Ralphio is present it is always hysterical. Between his awful rhyming to how quickly he showed up when Leslie called his name... just brilliant. The secondary characters who pop up, the Councilman who always catches Leslie in immature or embarrassing moments, Kyle as the whipping boy, etc. it all works great.

Donna saying to Jean-Ralphio "Snitches get stitches" was perfect. Plus Andy puking as he stood up too quickly caught me by surprise
roll.gif

The 2nd episode was just as good, they've finally moved the Ben/Leslie thing along enough so now they take action. The throwback shot of Perd was priceless
laugh.gif
Donna and Jerry teaming up for Tom's game was a great tandem to put together, whenever the show can pair up different characters is good to see. Likewise, April coming to Ann for advice was a nice touch, the writers really know the characters well and it shows.

Rashida Jones is officially the cutest thing on TV too, each episode she has a handful of hilarious/cute faces or reactions. This show is awesomesauce.

Snake Juice was great, any time the group goes outside the office I usually enjoy it, and any time Jean Ralphio is present it is always hysterical. Between his awful rhyming to how quickly he showed up when Leslie called his name... just brilliant. The secondary characters who pop up, the Councilman who always catches Leslie in immature or embarrassing moments, Kyle as the whipping boy, etc. it all works great.

Donna saying to Jean-Ralphio "Snitches get stitches" was perfect. Plus Andy puking as he stood up too quickly caught me by surprise
roll.gif

The 2nd episode was just as good, they've finally moved the Ben/Leslie thing along enough so now they take action. The throwback shot of Perd was priceless
laugh.gif
Donna and Jerry teaming up for Tom's game was a great tandem to put together, whenever the show can pair up different characters is good to see. Likewise, April coming to Ann for advice was a nice touch, the writers really know the characters well and it shows.

Rashida Jones is officially the cutest thing on TV too, each episode she has a handful of hilarious/cute faces or reactions. This show is awesomesauce.

roll.gif

laugh.gif

DID YOU SEE WHAT RASHIDA WAS WEARING?
devil.gif

and venom.... is it too early for a conclusion about the show post season 1?

roll.gif

laugh.gif

DID YOU SEE WHAT RASHIDA WAS WEARING?
devil.gif

and venom.... is it too early for a conclusion about the show post season 1?

Back
Top Bottom