Pat Riley Stepping down as Heat head coach

breaking news on ESPN no link yet. going to remain president tho

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3372092
It looks like suffering through a 15-67 season is enough to move Pat Riley off the bench and back into the front office.

30014.jpg

Riley

According to multiple Florida media reports, the future Hall of Famer is expected to step down as the Miami Heat's head coach at a news conference set for 4 p.m. ET.

The reports, from the South Florida Sun Sentinel and the Miami Herald, say Riley will stay on as team president.

The Sun Sentinel reported that current Heat assistant coach Erik Spoelstra would replace Riley as head coach

While I think Riley's had a great coaching career, I think it's a good time for him to walk away. I think his warrior/boot camp culture has become alittle outdated with today's NBA, and I definitely think he's lost some of his players the last two years, Wade and Haslem included. In fact, maybe theonly vestige of his persona's embodiment on the court is Zo, and it looks like he's going to be done as well.

An absolute legend Riley is, from his Showtime LA days to turning the Knicks into grind-it out beasts in the 90's to turning a once-irrelevant Heatorganization into perennial division champs and playoff contenders, you can't knock the resume. He's been far from bulletproof over the years (dippingout of NYC, the Stan Van Jeremy situation), but you can't argue with what he's done over his career. It'll be good to hopefully have him stay inthe front office though, as he pulls off some of the most incomprehensible deals you could imagine (snagging Shaq without giving up Wade, getting rid ofAntoine Walker, dealing Shaq off when he became immovable, etc.).

And damn FadeDPT, your hate for all things Miami is thick son.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Dude wanted nothing to do with this squad....he was "scouting" EVERYWHERE rather than being around the heat in the latter part of the season...

Ideal situation. He stay up stairs. That dual role is too much of a burden. And with this incomming lottery, and Riles' history with absolutelydecimating now of days young players, with his extreme bias and preference towards veterans. It's just the best situation.

The Spoelstra era has begun...Would've liked to seen McAdoo get that job. But Spoelsta has been know to be Riley's successor for a good minute now.

If this is TRULY it for Riley as a head coach, (and as most know, you never know with Pat Riley). He fufilled that promise of a parade down Biscayne.

Now it's all about May 20th for them ping pong balls....

no surprise, but im glad he's still sticking around in the front office

How convenient. He steps down coz they're horrible. I wonder if he will step back in as coach when they're a good team.

I never imagined I'd see a Filipino head coach in the NBA... or at least half Filipino.

I don't care who the next coach is but I'd like to see a quartet of Wade, Cook, Marion, Wright, and whatever rookie is coming in (doesn't matterwho it is they'll be better than that trash they have on the bench). Turn them into small ball and keep running. Basically just put some excitement out onthe court.

He's probably going to coach the Orlando Magic for the rest of the playoffs.

man, soon as news hits, it's already on NT.
laugh.gif

i don't like the guy either. i think that's 293029385293850 for Riley Sux and -230598230 for Riley's good

How does he not want to coach this team There not gonna be nearly this bad next year. A healthy D-Wade, Marion, Top 5 pick haslem and maybe a nice addition byfree agent this team will easily be back in playoff contention in the east.

Back
Top Bottom