Paul Shirley...Long write up about Haiti...(I'm speechless)

[h1]If You Rebuild It, They Will Come, by Paul Shirley[/h1]
Published: January 26, 2010Posted in: Paul Shirley

timthumb.php

I do not know if what I’m about to write makes me a monster. I do know that it makes me a part of a miniscule minority, if Internet trends and news stories of the past weeks are any guide.

“It

I see his point, and frankly i agree with it to an extent. I think what's important to take away from this is that they need to figure out a way that this type of devastation will not happen in the future (ie creating some type of emergency dept to handle it). As well, the infrastructure needs to be built as such, so in the event this happens in the future, the devastation will not be so widespread. Unfortunately i think the corruption in Haiti will keep this from happening. And i have a feeling lots of the money that is being raised to help Haiti out will end up lining the pockets of corrupt gov't officials. Just my 2 cents.

Wow. People act as if events havent let to a person or persons being in a position that they are at today. Granted there is plenty of corruption. What that has to do with donating a bit of money to help send fresh water and medical supplies to these people is beyond me. He sounds stupid.

"Dear Haitians –

First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it’s possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation offlimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?

Sincerely,

The Rest of the World"

Can't believe he wrote that. He expects them to have condoms? THey didnt even have food.

i'm having a hard enough time supporting my own family.

i know they have it hard there.
i know.

but this country needs to stop being the good guy. i know our "bad" isn't nearly ad bad as theirs and many others.
but this country needs to focus on itself for now.
i don't believe in Obama'ising the planet. i don't work hard so that people in belize can live in homes with air-conditioning. know what i'm sayin?

First he criticizes the Haitians for staying in Haiti, and not establishing a community elsewhere, which kind of makes sense, theoretically.  Realistically impossible however.

THEN he answers his own criticism by saying:
I don’t think the people of Haiti have the option of moving.
So..what is the issue then?

Then he blames the people for their totalitarian government.  This is, in my opinion, probably the worst part of this article.

He goes on to say
Afterthe tsunami of 2004, the citizens of the world wailed and donated andvolunteered for cleanup, rarely asking the important – and, I think,obvious – question: What were all those people doing there in the firstplace? Just as important: If they move back to a place near the oceanthat had just been destroyed by a giant wave, shouldn’t our instinct beto say, “Go ahead if you want, but you’re on your own now.

so he's basically blaming poverty on a nation that was purposely isolated from the rest of world .. See if he was going to attack something, it should be the instability of its government .. but I digress .. this is the internet after all

I see what he is saying he KINDA has point I don't totally agree with everything but he has a point on the just giving part I think besides the nations across the globe just giving they should also try to teaching as well so they are able to sustain themselves.

ALSO ON A SIDE NOTE HAS ANYONE EVER WONDERED WHEN OR IF SOMETHING DEVESTATING LIKE THE EARTHQUAKE IN HAITI OR THE TSUNAMI IN THE PHILIPPINES HAPPENS TO THE US HOW THE WORLD WOULD RESPOND? WOULD THEY GIVE US THE SAME KNDA SUPPORT WE SEEM TO SOMETIMES OFFER OTHER COUNTRIES IN THERE TIMES OF CRISIS BECAUSE SOMETHING GIVE ME THE FEELING THAT WE MAY BE ALONE WHEN SOMETHING BIG HAPPENS

Originally Posted by nawghtyhare

ALSO ON A SIDE NOTE HAS ANYONE EVER WONDERED WHEN OR IF SOMETHING DEVESTATING LIKE THE EARTHQUAKE IN HAITI OR THE TSUNAMI IN THE PHILIPPINES HAPPENS TO THE US HOW THE WORLD WOULD RESPOND? WOULD THEY GIVE US THE SAME KNDA SUPPORT WE SEEM TO SOMETIMES OFFER OTHER COUNTRIES IN THERE TIMES OF CRISIS BECAUSE SOMETHING GIVE ME THE FEELING THAT WE MAY BE ALONE WHEN SOMETHING BIG HAPPENS

ummm, what did they do for the US during Katrina?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

sheesh... he can't even hide the racist "welfare moms having babies" argument

So people who are in poverty should not be held responsible at all for their situations when they CHOOSE to have kids and not use protection (which is free at any local health dept). That's %%$$@+*!.

Unfortunately Catholicism is rampant in haiti, and unfortunately the Vatican does not believe in the use of condoms. Which is very detrimental to the Haitians (in regards to population control, and spread of disease). The same does not apply to "welfare mothers" in the USA though, where condoms are rampant, and usually free.

This man is a complete fool.

Hopefully he wrote this to just get some attention. Sadly, I think these are his true feelings.

im black, and i agree.
we're throwing millions of dollars into a country that was worth bout.... a million dollars.
i mean it should be peanuts to get them back to atleast where they were before and then leave them to do what they want to do.

JayPeso......well a majority of the money came from our own nation and honestly I can't really recall other nations and how much money they gave and supplies but when we give we millions upon milions in food supplies and money and I don't really remember that much on what other countries did that I'm not saying they didn't I'm just saying I can't recall. But I'm sure a majority of it was fro
our own people in America. But I'm basically talking about what if the whole nation is crippled by a disaster not just a city would we get the same hospitality that we show

I can understand him saying "teach them how to fish" as opposed to "give them fish", but he is still wrong. He contradicts himself by saying that the caveman CHOSE to build their home there. The Haitians did not CHOOSE to live there, they were uprooted and sent there as slaves. When they gained independence, they repeatedly asked us for assistance, but we denied them. It's not like they can leave, either. Many eat a mixture of dirt and flour twice a day. Those who try to come to America are deported back when they reach the shores. Contrast this to Cubans, who are given sanctuary.

This guy basically flaunts his stupidity.

I agree but the fact is that in poor countries they have alot of kids. Its just how its always been. Haiti will be helped for about 5 more months then forgotten about

Originally Posted by nawghtyhare

JayPeso......well a majority of the money came from our own nation and honestly I can't really recall other nations and how much money they gave and supplies but when we give we millions upon milions in food supplies and money and I don't really remember that much on what other countries did that I'm not saying they didn't I'm just saying I can't recall. But I'm sure a majority of it was fro
our own people in America. But I'm basically talking about what if the whole nation is crippled by a disaster not just a city would we get the same hospitality that we show

yeah, that's what I'm saying.  I'm just assuming, and I could be way off, but I really don't see any other countries helping us if we needed.  I'm thinking maybe the UN would send some people to help, but other than that, I really don't see any other countries doing much for us.

Originally Posted by bilingue23

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

sheesh... he can't even hide the racist "welfare moms having babies" argument

So people who are in poverty should not be held responsible at all for their situations when they CHOOSE to have kids and not use protection (which is free at any local health dept). That's %%$$@+*!.

Unfortunately Catholicism is rampant in haiti, and unfortunately the Vatican does not believe in the use of condoms. Which is very detrimental to the Haitians (in regards to population control, and spread of disease). The same does not apply to "welfare mothers" in the USA though, where condoms are rampant, and usually free.
If you seriously want to find out why Haiti is in such dire poverty look up Toussaint louverture and Haiti's initial history as a nation ... Remember Haiti is not that old and there are certain things that are needed in the initial stages to build a striving, sufficient nation .. and this has nothing to do with child bearing or religion ..... I would say it one more time .. Haiti was purposely isolated from the rest of the world by the world super powers at that time namely Britain and France .. They made a pact that no one would trade with Haiti .. if you want to learn any more a simple google search would suffice

It's worth noting that America has given this country around 4 Billion in the past and they did nothing with it.

Back
Top Bottom