Paypal Unauthorized Transaction

Long story short-I woke up this morning to an email from Paypal claiming an eBay buyer filed an unauthorized transaction from a purchase that he made from me back in May of this year.
Am I out of luck? Delivery confirmation shows that the item was received at the address given, but I just checked and the buyer was not verified.
Never had this happen to me before, so I'm just curious.

Thanks!

yea I would say you don't have a chance at winning the case. Do you have a negative Paypal balance now?

yea I would say you don't have a chance at winning the case. Do you have a negative Paypal balance now?
I do. Paypal said that they're communicating with the buyers financial institution, and will get back to me.

In the vast majority of false “unauthorized transaction” cases, the seller will probably lose.
Personally as a seller I have won 2 unauthorized transaction disputes but lost 1. All were virtual goods transactions. Only reason I won 2 is because I demanded Paypal investigate the buyers’ IP and device usage over time and compare it to the IP and device used at the time of the transaction that he disputed.

In both those wins I was informed that the buyers used the same IP and device they normally use, thus the transaction couldn’t be unauthorized as they claimed. Basically I got lucky the scammers were dumbasses.

The dispute I lost was someone who clearly knew how it worked and got PP to rule in his favor in just a few days.

Demand that Paypal investigate the scammer’s IP address and device and if that same IP and device were used when making the payment to you that he now disputes.

There are in fact people stupid enough to do the transaction on their regular home IP and device and later claiming it was an unauthorized payment. The IP and device used in that scenario prove that there was no intrusion on his paypal by someone else and thus nu grounds for unauthorized transaction dispute

Last edited:
Ebay fell off because of PayPal
They own PayPal. They double dip on every sale. What killed eBay is amazon. Forced eBay to compete with their customer service. That stuff doesn’t work when the sellers are random people selling a couple things. Things have flipped for eBay. Used to be a seller based platform. Now the buyers have all the power. In a “hand to hand” exchange, which eBay is sold as, it should be a 50/50 split

Long story short-I woke up this morning to an email from Paypal claiming an eBay buyer filed an unauthorized transaction from a purchase that he made from me back in May of this year.
Am I out of luck? Delivery confirmation shows that the item was received at the address given, but I just checked and the buyer was not verified.
Never had this happen to me before, so I'm just curious.

Thanks!

What is the item in question?

Thanks.

O/W Carolina 1s. I wasn’t going to sell, but had some medical bills to take care of.
Should I put the scammer on blast, or wait till the outcome of the case?

You may have to take the L my bro. How PayPal even allows buyers to have an 'Unverified' status is beyond me but it's been that way for decades.

I've been buying and selling on eBay for years and you have to be really cautious with who you ship too. Best case, take scans of your shipping receipts and delivery confirmation and attach it to the PayPal case. Let them know that you did your part, but the buyer being 'Unverified' might pose some challenges.

Thanks.

O/W Carolina 1s. I wasn’t going to sell, but had some medical bills to take care of.
Should I put the scammer on blast, or wait till the outcome of the case?
contact the seller and tell them youre filing a police report at their local police department and USPS mail fraud report

don't let this idiot scam you, if he still sticks to some story of it not being him, keep pressing.

dudes waiting 3 months to scam :smh:

Damn, yeah high price shoes are a no go on eBay. Seems like only broke dudes, ironically, buy them

Last edited:
contact the seller and tell them youre filing a police report at their local police department and USPS mail fraud report

don't let this idiot scam you, if he still sticks to some story of it not being him, keep pressing.

Will that have any impact on the PayPal case? I don’t want him telling PayPal that I’m threatening him by going to his local police department.

I can't see how threatening with law enforcement is the same as threatening with a baseball bat to the knees

They own PayPal. They double dip on every sale. What killed eBay is amazon. Forced eBay to compete with their customer service. That stuff doesn’t work when the sellers are random people selling a couple things. Things have flipped for eBay. Used to be a seller based platform. Now the buyers have all the power. In a “hand to hand” exchange, which eBay is sold as, it should be a 50/50 split
Not anymore. PayPal is its own company as of a couple years ago.

Did a google maps search of his place, has a black Mercedes in the driveway.

singer10 singer10 Do you have his personal email address and/or phone number? Send him a polite email outside of eBay using your own email. Inform him that you're very disappointed in his behaviour and you have all your shipping receipts and delivery confirmation. As Bert. Bert. said be firm and advise that you will be passing all scanned documentation to the local PD and USPS fraud department as well as eBay & PayPal.

Key thing here is to be professional and let him know you've had to deal with this type of scam before and you know how to deal with it.

Not anymore. PayPal is its own company as of a couple years ago.

They separated for a time it but it's back with eBay again. Not sure if it's eBay that owns PayPal or vice versa.

Bottom line is that eBay has really fallen off a cliff and they need to go back to their roots of being a platform to selling personal items instead of focusing the high volume Chinese items that Amazon does a far better job at handling.

singer10 singer10 Do you have his personal email address and/or phone number? Send him a polite email outside of eBay using your own email. Inform him that you're very disappointed in his behaviour and you have all your shipping receipts and delivery confirmation. As Bert. Bert. said be firm and advise that you will be passing all scanned documentation to the local PD and USPS fraud department as well as eBay & PayPal.

Key thing here is to be professional and let him know you've had to deal with this type of scam before and you know how to deal with it.
I have all of his personal information. As far as documentation goes, I have pictures and videos of me sending his package out while at the post office.

Back
Top Bottom