Personal Thoughts on the Present State and Future of the Jordan Brand

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Believe this:

JB will eventually re-release the HEAT that you guys all hope for. Like the White/infrared VI's, Bordueax VII's and even NIKE AIR on back of some of the best AJ's.

But that might be like 5-10 years from now..

Look out for the Slam-Dunk Package in 09'!!!!!

^
nerd.gif

That will happen when the Jordan Brand is no longer a brand and Nike is running the show, which as long as JB is making money, who cares about the OGcollectors.

the average consumer does not know what an original 3-6 look like, they do not miss Nike Air on the back. all they know is that the jumpman is "cool."
You are referring to any JB customer born after 1985/86. They think the Jumpman is "cool" because they don't know any different. But why DO they think that?

Because the original Jordan generation (anyone currently age 25 or older) wore the originals and helped make the Air Jordan a cultural and historic phenomenon. This group wore those shoes in 4th grade, middle school, high school. They wore them outside at recess, to play every sport in, with every outfit mom dressedthem in, and later as teenagers wearing the best, sharpest kicks for the style and recognition of MJ. That foundation, along of course with MJ'sbrilliance, made the Air Jordan the Air Jordan.

When I said people prefer the Nike Air over the Jumpman, I was thinking of two facets:
the original wearers of the shoe and the new customers who prefer the original look of the shoes they've heard/read about and seen.

I'd imagine these two groups combined outnumbers, even if only slightly, the so-called "average" JB consumers who operate on adon't-know-don't-care basis when purchasing past Air Jordans.

im just sayin... kids that go to my highschool could give a %%+# just as long as there is a jumpman on it, and thats the future.

I have no use for "fusions" and "hybrids" and "SpikeZ" shoes, and as i said in another post, i despise the "packages"that force us to buy shoes we don't want to get one we do.

Just give me Retros of the shoes i grew up with, which is basically Jordans I through XIII.

Just my two cents ...

Originally Posted by Burns1923

the average consumer does not know what an original 3-6 look like, they do not miss Nike Air on the back. all they know is that the jumpman is "cool."
You are referring to any JB customer born after 1985/86. They think the Jumpman is "cool" because they don't know any different. But why DO they think that?

Because the original Jordan generation (anyone currently age 25 or older) wore the originals and helped make the Air Jordan a cultural and historic phenomenon. This group wore those shoes in 4th grade, middle school, high school. They wore them outside at recess, to play every sport in, with every outfit mom dressed them in, and later as teenagers wearing the best, sharpest kicks for the style and recognition of MJ. That foundation, along of course with MJ's brilliance, made the Air Jordan the Air Jordan.

When I said people prefer the Nike Air over the Jumpman, I was thinking of two facets:
the original wearers of the shoe and the new customers who prefer the original look of the shoes they've heard/read about and seen.

I'd imagine these two groups combined outnumbers, even if only slightly, the so-called "average" JB consumers who operate on a don't-know-don't-care basis when purchasing past Air Jordans.

I dont think they do. Those youngsters are the main consumer, and they dont care and theres a helluvalot more of them than us. Its not even close. If yougo to your average shopping mall and just ask people wearing jordans about them you will see there is not a lot of knowledge floating around. I would say atleast 90% of people do not see a difference between the numbered air jordans and team jordans, they all have a jumpman on them they are all jordans. its hardto believe, I know, but I am a high school teacher and have worked in middle schools as well and trust me that is the next generation. They think jordans arecool, they have no clue about them, and they are the main source of JBs income now and even more so going forward.

I wish you were right, but I just dont see it.

^Interesting take.

One thought is that just because the younger group buys most of the JB product does not mean they necessarily outnumber the older generation.

Maybe comparing exact age range numbers would make that a more defined point.

Another thought is that as time goes by, and that younger demographic becomes less and less aware of who MJ was and what Air Jordans were, sales of the garbagewill decline.

As a somewhat comparative example, many younger people have heard of/know of Patrick Ewing. Now granted his early 90's signature shoes were never aspopular as Air Jordans, if Ewing's shoes were retroed today (and they're supposed to be at last check) the majority of the pairs would be bought by theolder set, people who grew up watching Pat. It's reasonable to assume that most of the younger crowd wouldn't go for Ewing's shoes because theyhave no association with them; they came out before their "time".

I think the cache of the Jordan name runs out over time the further we move away from the prime MJ era. I don't think the Jumpman is strong enough tosustain indefinitely. A lot of younger people buy Jordan stuff because it's "cool", a fairly shallow justification to buy anything. What reasonwill young people have 5, 10, 15 years from now to buy the Jumpman? My point is that MJ is too era-specific for his appeal to sustain sales 10 years from nowwhen even less people will care about what he did as a player.

Interesting Topic !
Most of us are following the Jordan Brand hoping that soon they will release our OG colorway like in 99 or 00 with the IV, V, and VI.
For me its only reason Im still following whats going on with JB.
Very dispointed with their strategy, I feel that they are ruining Jordan's image by becoming another reebok or adidas.
By the way Michael Jordan was a great basketball player, the best ever, but he was not an avertising manager, he gave his name to the shoes, and madecomericals, but in no way he was the one behind all the strategy that Nike had in 86 !!!
and if tomorow Jordan brand falls it wont be NIKE (and they probably know it !)

"MJ is too era-specific" completely agreed !!!

IMO buying Jordans is now based on hype ever since 2003. Im sure it will die out. I cant wait till people start noticing rappers with their bapes on and whatelse they wear and everyone has to have a pair! That's most likely what will happen. Now i fell in love in 1996 with the XIs and had to have em, soobviosly alot of Jordans have gone and past in my days. Most people that i talk to nowdays only care about what Jordans are coming out(new releases).

And i ask "why do u where them?" They say "Cuz its cool". I say "Y?" They say "Cuz everybody got em!".

Its all about hype, the new gen has no idea what MJ did in his career and will follow another hyped up shoe no matter where it comes from.

All my OG's keep your hopes up!!

Jordans like all fads and the people that help create them will eventually phase out and the sneaker culture will eventually be history, and basketball shoeswill go back to being just that and used for just that

^Interesting take.

One thought is that just because the younger group buys most of the JB product does not mean they necessarily outnumber the older generation.

Maybe comparing exact age range numbers would make that a more defined point.

Another thought is that as time goes by, and that younger demographic becomes less and less aware of who MJ was and what Air Jordans were, sales of the garbage will decline.

As a somewhat comparative example, many younger people have heard of/know of Patrick Ewing. Now granted his early 90's signature shoes were never as popular as Air Jordans, if Ewing's shoes were retroed today (and they're supposed to be at last check) the majority of the pairs would be bought by the older set, people who grew up watching Pat. It's reasonable to assume that most of the younger crowd wouldn't go for Ewing's shoes because they have no association with them; they came out before their "time".

I think the cache of the Jordan name runs out over time the further we move away from the prime MJ era. I don't think the Jumpman is strong enough to sustain indefinitely. A lot of younger people buy Jordan stuff because it's "cool", a fairly shallow justification to buy anything. What reason will young people have 5, 10, 15 years from now to buy the Jumpman? My point is that MJ is too era-specific for his appeal to sustain sales 10 years from now when even less people will care about what he did as a player.

Thats one theory. But from my observations I think you are over estimating how much the average kid even cares who is associated with a shoe. I think thereare far more people that will walk into a footlocker and just look to see what looks nice to them and buy that. They have absolutely no clue whose sig shoethey are buying. Your Exing example for instance, I dont think will be bought mostly by older people simply because a lot of older people are not in a positionto wear sneakers often. And most people do not have the urge to buy sneakers for sentimental value. Like all sneakers the Ewing retros would be bought by kidsthat wear sneakers everyday because thats normal in school. Which kids buy them? Whoever thinks they look nice, thats it. Not because they are an ewing fan atall. In fact if you go up to any random teenager and ask them what shoes he is wearing he wont be able to name it. Some will, but Id say they are a very smallminority. The most you can expect is the brand name, because thats easy to know and see. Thats why the jumpman can hold out. At this point Jordan Brand hasestablished itself to the point where, sadly, memories of MJ are not even important. Kids will think jordans are cool because they are established as cool. Itsa self sustaining condition.

think about chuck taylors. they are cool right now, why? i have no idea. i have some, i like them, they arent super comfortable or anything. does anyone buythem because of memories of chuck taylor? hell no. You think like somebody that knows about sneakers, and its hard to put your own knowledge aside. I know thisis true because of the number of kids I work with all the time. Ive worked with literally thousands of teenage kids. I can count on one hand the number thatactually knew what Air Jordan I was wearing any one day. I get comments all the time how I have nice shoes etc. But none of them know more than "thislooks cool" seriously. You give the masses too much credit.

The future state of Jordan Brand does not include me. I am outside of their target demographic.

Although, when they release the "golden eggs", I will strike once more. After 2008, and all the packages, I will no longer buy much. I have neverbought Dub Zero's, Fusions, Spiz' ikes, or the majority of retro + Jordan's. I simply stuck to the OG colorways, and JB's plan is to go awayfrom that after 2008, so my plan is to go away from JB.

Why do we care about your personal thoughts. Noobies always come in here and try to write a paper about JB.

Originally Posted by 2TigerFan3

Why do we care about your personal thoughts. Noobies always come in here and try to write a paper about JB.

I must of stole your idea for a topic, maybe next time.

I think the cache of the Jordan name runs out over time the further we move away from the prime MJ era. I don't think the Jumpman is strong enough to sustain indefinitely. A lot of younger people buy Jordan stuff because it's "cool", a fairly shallow justification to buy anything. What reason will young people have 5, 10, 15 years from now to buy the Jumpman? My point is that MJ is too era-specific for his appeal to sustain sales 10 years from now when even less people will care about what he did as a player.

That's JB's fault. Think about it. If they hadn't diluted the Jumpman symbol and cheapened it by putting it on all these stupidfusions/spizikes/clown shoes etc. we would not be at a point when we were saying that the Jordan was gonna run its course. Why? Because they wouldn't havelost their core customers. Why would you tell the customers that MADE you to go eff off? They basically are saying "We don't care what you want,take what you can get and be happy." I'm sorry but I won't support that kind of company. Why not let the kids buy the garbage retros for $120and put out some good quality ones with Nike Air for the rest of us who actually buy the shoes because we like them. Charge a little bit more, I don'tcare. Like you said, once these teeny boppers move on to the next thing JB is finished. If theyd stuck to the script and released QUALITY NIKE AIR JORDANSthey would at least have their loyal consumers (like I used to be) to fall back on and 15 years from now we'd be anticipating the 3rd release of theBlack/Cement IV's or the Fire Red III's.

Ill be short and sweet, besides the XX3s, JB is terrible just terrible. I stick to the basics, Jordans (current year) and shorts. All the retros are wellretros, not the real deal and fusions and the like are just awful. Worst idea ever.

i think it's pretty safe to say that it is a wrap for JB at the end of this year unless they make some DRASTIC changes.
the only way i can see jb recovering from the hole they have dug for themselves id to bring back certain colorways of retros we have been begging for (i.e.bordeaux's, space jams, infra reds, etc.) and not only that, they have to make them IDENTICAL to the OG's, which obviously includes nike air.

if things continue going the way they have been for the last 5-6 years, jb will have lost so much of their loyal, original fanbase that they will really begin,not only to see the decline in sales, but FEEL it as well. that is the point we are hoping will arrive sooner than later b/c at that point is when they willrealize they have no choice, but to appease us if they want to continuesell jordan products.

THE END

happy.gif

Lets face it they survived for 23 years
You mean 11 years, this fall (1997-present). There was no Jordan Brand before 1997.

Present thoughts: The people running JB don't seem to have any class, respect, or style. I used to think the Jumpman was ultra awesome as a kid and now I
can't stand it. It represents selling out the MJ legacy, cheap, overpriced, unsatisfying products, cutting corners, and low standards.

They couldn't even get the CDP's right. MJ's "letter" on the box about the packs being a thank-you to customers? Yeah, the Carmine
VI's with good quality and Nike Air with an OG colored XVII would've been a "thank you". Black/Cement IV's with the original (or at
least the '99) mold and Nike Air would've been a "thank you". Indiglo XIV's with the IX's would've been a "thank you".
Black/Cement III's with Nike Air and Stealth XX's would've been a "thank you". Concords or Spacejams would've been a "thank
you". Please... most anything JB says now is spin or marketing. And MJ wants to talk about being true and authentic, never compromising? Hyp-o-crite.

JB's future: If they're going to continue with what they're doing now, for the sake of us as consumers and the possibility of salvaging anything
of the meaning of Air Jordans, then they should end the Jordan Brand and let Nike run things once more.

What's most likely? They'll keep with the garbage until sales start gradually falling, and then they'll drop Nike Air again - the very two words
they've gone out of their way to distance themselves from. People prefer Nike Air over the Jumpman. Always have, always will. They're NIKE Air
Jordans, and JB will never be able to shake that connection and history.

very, VERY well said, my dude.

Originally Posted by veGAtts

Burns1923 wrote:

People prefer Nike Air over the Jumpman. Always have, always will. They're NIKE Air Jordans, and JB will never be able to shake that connection and
history.
you're wrong. people in this community do. the vast vast majority of people do not. you people think they are holding back nike air for some
convoluted future selling strategy? it is far more simple than that. the average consumer does not know what an original 3-6 look like, they do not miss Nike
Air on the back. all they know is that the jumpman is "cool." and so they sell. the fact is nike air on the back will not generate more sales to the
average joe customer. overall i would say sales would be worse. people on here have the hardest time stepping outside of their opinions and looking at what
regular people think. we are not regular people. our opinions are the minority by far. we are not the only people that buy sneakers. we buy a lot of them but
theres so much fewer of us. i understand everyone on here's opinion but you guys all look at it from your personal shoe collector point of view and then
assume this is how everyone feels, but its not. and thats why we arent going to win. JB is a business, if you cant satisfy all of your customers wouldnt you
satisfy the much larger group?

^^^^^^also a very good point. when you're "in it" it is SOOOOOOOOOO easy NOT to look at it that way.
great point. so i guess in the end we lose then...
frown.gif

You give the masses too much credit.
Quite possible.

For the reason youngins buy Jordan products, I put more weight on the "cause everyone else does" excuse rather than "they look cool".

Put a Reebok Vector logo or adidas Trefoil on the Spizike or 6 Rings. Do those shoes still sell? I say abosolutely not. There is nothing outstanding aboutthe design for the average consumer to jump on them. They're bought because "everyone else has them" and everyone else has them because theyhave a Jumpman, and the Jumpman has been deemed "cool".

It's the name. "Jordan" and "Jumpman" = "cool" to younger people, even some older people, and the desire to wear something"cool" takes priority over any other buying factor, it appears.

Your Chuck Taylor example is a good one. My thinking, though, is that while Chuck's have become an accepted shoe culturally, the Jumpman is far less asproduct-specific as one shoe.
Factoring in that whatever new shoe JB makes is simply made because they know it'll sell, there aren't any designs that, from an aesthetic standpoint,will necessarily hold consumers for the long haul.

JB has proven they can sell for the moment but that moment is anything but guaranteed to sustain. Do young people flock to buy Levi's, a well-established,classic jean company? Probably not. Because while Levi's are considered to be the top of the line, their name doesn't ignite young people in the"coolness" dept.

Can JB sustain that factor indefinitely? That seems to be the question. They can maybe with the current young set. But given the lack of staying power oftheir "new" products, I'm not seeing how future young buyers perpetually gravitate to the brand.

You give the masses too much credit.
Quite possible.

For the reason youngins buy Jordan products, I put more weight on the "cause everyone else does" excuse rather than "they look cool".

Put a Reebok Vector logo or adidas Trefoil on the Spizike or 6 Rings. Do those shoes still sell? I say abosolutely not. There is nothing outstanding about the design for the average consumer to jump on them. They're bought because "everyone else has them" and everyone else has them because they have a Jumpman, and the Jumpman has been deemed "cool".

It's the name. "Jordan" and "Jumpman" = "cool" to younger people, even some older people, and the desire to wear something "cool" takes priority over any other buying factor, it appears.

Your Chuck Taylor example is a good one. My thinking, though, is that while Chuck's have become an accepted shoe culturally, the Jumpman is far less as product-specific as one shoe.
Factoring in that whatever new shoe JB makes is simply made because they know it'll sell, there aren't any designs that, from an aesthetic standpoint, will necessarily hold consumers for the long haul.

JB has proven they can sell for the moment but that moment is anything but guaranteed to sustain. Do young people flock to buy Levi's, a well-established, classic jean company? Probably not. Because while Levi's are considered to be the top of the line, their name doesn't ignite young people in the "coolness" dept.

Can JB sustain that factor indefinitely? That seems to be the question. They can maybe with the current young set. But given the lack of staying power of their "new" products, I'm not seeing how future young buyers perpetually gravitate to the brand.

I think by them creating some of the products that we as OG's hate is them adapting to the newer generation. Our generation was all about nice cleansubtle colorways. This generation is into colors, very bright colors, and lots of them, that's why you see the Argon Blue Spizikes, the Lime Green Fusions,Green Bean V's, Orange Peel Fusions, etc... . Look at the Olympic VI's coming out. If they would have just retroed the Olympic VI 2000 or even betterthe VII from 1992 as we remember, and the OG's would have been fine, but instead JB decided to go with the mutlplie colors and put some crappy design onthe toebox, but because it's a Jordan and it's colorful...the new generation will go bananas after it, which they are in the majority, but in order tosatisfy the OG's and throw us a bone they give us a VI that we want that's in the Countdown Pack, I guess that's what they feel will make us, theminority, happy.

how many more garbage fusion/hybrid metamorphtastic kicks will people buy?

is there no end in sight?

i say no.....

air force 1 + jordan upper = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

How many people really think the same way as we do (JB doesnt follow NIKE path - profit over quality shoes) ???, thats the question.
Cause I beleive that the majority of people buying JB products today are not us (in this thread) and mostly buy those shoes for fun, fashion etc...
Knowing that JB do not spend their money on advertising like Nike with MJ, that they are self advertised in a way by Nike today, Their profit
must be huge and can it really drop to the point where they have to close the store, I dont think so, and probably a new generation of JB customer
is emerging with no any special ineterest in MJ himslef or in his shoe legacy (from I to XIII).

In conclusion, we are such a small group of people wanting this "nike air" so bad, that it could only be a dream and never come out again in thisway.
Let's hope that Nike cares about us and finally decide to please their long time customers with some special editions of originals retro in a nearfutur.

Can JB sustain that factor indefinitely? That seems to be the question. They can maybe with the current young set. But given the lack of staying power of their "new" products, I'm not seeing how future young buyers perpetually gravitate to the brand.

thats true. who knows what the future may hold. one day jordans might not be as "cool." Its already happening some with the popularity of skateshoes (DCs, vans, SBs). But that is why JB is making all these things we dislike, to keep a foot hold on their coolness factor, at least to this generation.They are the ones that like what we call garbage. Thats why the garbage keeps getting made. Our best hope is that in the near future it will be trendy to wearreal, nice simple quality basketball sneakers that have reasonable colors. If that becomes trendy JB will follow the trend and give us some nice retros maybe!Hahahaha. Until then what we get will be largely determined by the trends at the moment. Fashion is always fluctuating so I have faith that the more wilddesigns will fade away soon enough. Either way I think JB will survive regardless.

this sure is a good read. people have good thoughts towards what is in store for JB.

JB is slowly becoming just another shoe brand, hype behind it is dying but as long as they continue to make all these shoes people will buy it because of thename

"JORDAN"

Back
Top Bottom