Peter Rosenberg speaks on the "Rick Ross Era"

Its all marketing and tastemakers trying to set the climate.

When Teflon Don came out, Khaled said something to the effect of it being a classic. Industry hyperbole.Not to mention Ross said he's set up the movie like a Scorsese flick....so it getting a lotta lofty comparisons now.It'd say it's more the Drake era...the dude is a direct offspring of that emo Kanye era on 808s....he's more of a game changer than Ross is. Ross did turn a corner on his last joint with tracks like "Tears of Joy", "Free Mason" and the joint about his kids. For all the BIG comparisons, BIG was more visceral in two albums than Ross has been with 4 albums....I've never heard a Ross song that was personal until his last album. All the greats have that.

The thing is GFID has potential to fill all these holes in his resume as far as not going plat or not having THAT song.

Originally Posted by 00david00

The thing is GFID has potential to fill all these holes in his resume as far as not going plat or not having THAT song.

I wouldn't be surprised if he went Platinum, but as far as having THAT song...he's had two straight singles that have done absolutely nothing. (ILMB is 
pimp.gif
 though) If he had that single under his belt, why wouldn't he have released it? 
Not to mention, if he was really as hot as yall say he is, his singles would do well regardless of what they were. Nicki dropped a video for Stupid $++ that charted higher than the single Ross had with Nicki. Why is that significant?

-Stupid $++ is one of the worst songs of all time. 

-Stupid $++ wasn't officially released as a single

When your buzz is really that high, you can sneeze on a track and it will chart well. 

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Most consistent of all time?

-_-

and Trilla album was weak as hell.

What?! Thats arguably his best album. That LP had alot of heat but many people werent checkin for Ross then..

Originally Posted by awwsome

I'm a ross fan but I don't really agree with that.
Ross is very consistent in releasing material, has improved lyrically almost every album and his mic presence is second to none.
But he also makes a lot of filler records, never covers new ground musically or conceptually and relies too heavily on production.
Like when did Ross every make a real groundbreaking record? Where is his Jesus Walks, 99 Problems, Stan
He has no real personality or authenticity in his work, it's like I'm just listening to someone speak about a fantasized version of themselves
Theres a place for that +*%*, but you can't be considered the best hip hop artist with basically no originality or creativity.
All of this. Especially the part about never covering new ground. It's not that hard to consistently put out good albums. It's only when you try to create a classic that things get rocky cause then you have to do some things that haven't been done.

Originally Posted by Futuristic

Originally Posted by 00david00

I wouldn't be surprised if he went Platinum, but as far as having THAT song...he's had two straight singles that have done absolutely nothing. (ILMB is 
pimp.gif
 though) If he had that single under his belt, why wouldn't he have released it? 
Not to mention, if he was really as hot as yall say he is, his singles would do well regardless of what they were. Nicki dropped a video for Stupid $++ that charted higher than the single Ross had with Nicki. Why is that significant?

-Stupid $++ is one of the worst songs of all time. 

-Stupid $++ wasn't officially released as a single

When your buzz is really that high, you can sneeze on a track and it will chart well. 
True, but that's also cause Nicki's maniacal fanbase >>> Ross's fanbase. Nicki and YM literally are sneezing on tracks and they eat it up.

Originally Posted by awwsome

I'm a ross fan but I don't really agree with that.
Ross is very consistent in releasing material, has improved lyrically almost every album and his mic presence is second to none.
But he also makes a lot of filler records, never covers new ground musically or conceptually and relies too heavily on production.
Like when did Ross every make a real groundbreaking record? Where is his Jesus Walks, 99 Problems, Stan
He has no real personality or authenticity in his work, it's like I'm just listening to someone speak about a fantasized version of themselves
Theres a place for that +*%*, but you can't be considered the best hip hop artist with basically no originality or creativity.

Whoever is the head at Ross label is PUSHING SO HARD to make this dude into a megastar and make him seem larger than he is.

To really put it in perspective the "hottest artist out" had his album pushed back "Cuz it ain't buzzin"

Yall confuse marketing with promotion. Him & Spiff promote there +**+! off but it doesnt transpire to anything

Marketing is making people go to stores. Marketing is selling out big venues. Marketing is selling singles.

How many tours son headline? How many #1s? Why hasnt he dropped an LP in 2 years?

He got the follow me with a camera game on lock. He got the jump on everybody song game on lock. But lets be serious he probably couldnt even put up Jeezy numbers right now.

And its sad cause he's on the decline popularity wise.

Rick Ross' "Port of Miami" went at least double platinum. I wanna agree with Peter Rosenburg but at the same time Kanye West is still alive and relevant. I am a MMG fan and Ross is arguably the best rapper out right now but I mean are any of his albums seeing "Watch the Throne"? or "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". I think Ye makes the best MUSIC right now.
Rozay already has a groundbreaking record on a classic album....

I'ma go against the grain with this comment, but w/e.
Everybody keeps citing Tears of Joy as some great song, but let's be serious it's good because of Cee-Lo and the beat (no i.d. made it right?), Ross added NOTHING to this song.  Son had the epic beat hook combo and came through with 
grin.gif
 verses.

There is no Rick Ross era, when was the last time he dropped a 
eek.gif
 verse?

Just because he posts a video every 2 days, doesn't mean he's created a era, dude's buzz is going down right now.  Like somebody else said if you really have a "era" you can throw almost anything decent out and its a huge hit (Drake, Wayne, Kanye, Nicki). Ross cannot do that...at all.

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Everybody keeps citing Tears of Joy as some great song, but let's be serious it's good because of Cee-Lo and the beat (no i.d. made it right?), Ross added NOTHING to this song.  Son had the epic beat hook combo and came through with 
grin.gif
 verses.

eek.gif
 verse?

Just because he posts a video every 2 days, doesn't mean he's created a era, dude's buzz is going down right now.  Like somebody else said if you really have a "era" you can throw almost anything decent out and its a huge hit (Drake, Wayne, Kanye, Nicki). Ross cannot do that...at all.
Oh you don't remember:
Code:
These *@&#*$)@_@_@ mad that I'm iceyStunt so hard make them indict meI think I'm Big Meech look at my time peaceIts anodomere hundred wrecks at leastLook at yourself now look at me (Me)You cant see a *@&#^ I'm what you you use to beLook at it this way you *@&#^$ side waysAlways getting money my *&#^$% crime paysSo !$!+ a #!@$%(^@&# a *@&#^$) I'm self madeYou a sucka &@*#) (Sucka *@&#*$) I'm self paidThis for my broke &@^#(+This for my rich @%#^$+Got a hundred on a head of a snitch (*@#^

There's nothing special about Rick Ross to me he's just another mainstream rapper.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

grin.gif
 verses.

eek.gif
 verse?

Oh you don't remember:
Code:
These *@&#*$)@_@_@ mad that I'm iceyStunt so hard make them indict meI think I'm Big Meech look at my time peaceIts anodomere hundred wrecks at leastLook at yourself now look at me (Me)You cant see a *@&#^ I'm what you you use to beLook at it this way you *@&#^$ side waysAlways getting money my *&#^$% crime paysSo !$!+ a #!@$%(^@&# a *@&#^$) I'm self madeYou a sucka &@*#) (Sucka *@&#*$) I'm self paidThis for my broke &@^#(+This for my rich @%#^$+Got a hundred on a head of a snitch (*@#^
I'm just gonna assume that's sarcasm.

It was
laugh.gif

I couldn't at all tell you a standout Ross verse. His stuff is more flow than what is actually said.

It was
laugh.gif

I couldn't at all tell you a standout Ross verse. His stuff is more flow than what is actually said.
laugh.gif
 Aight cool.
With some of the crazy opinions ppl have on here, my sarcasm detector be all off 
laugh.gif

It ain't about the lyricism, it's about the music. And Ross makes good music.

He aiight with the bars, sometimes he comes through, sometimes he don't. But as far as creating a template for cinematic lavish drug kingpin type rap, dude has excelled.

It's like this, Scarface wasn't an Academy Award winning flick, but it was a masterpiece. That's how I feel about Ross.

It was
laugh.gif

oh?
Lookin’ at my #%@*! I bet she give your $!* a bone
Lookin’ at my wrist it’ll turn your $!* to stone
Stretch limousine, sippin’ Rosé all along
Double-headed monster with a mind of his own
Cherry red chariot, excess is just my character
All black tux, @%@+@ the shoes lavender
I never needed acceptance from all you outsiders
Had cyphers with Yeezy before his mouth wired
Before his jaw shattered climbin’ up the Lord’s ladder
We still speedin’ runnin’ signs like they don’t matter
Uh, hater talkin’ never made me mad
Never that when I’m in my favorite papertag
Therefore G4s at the Clearport
When it come to tools fool I’m a Pep Boy
When it came to dope I was quick to export
Never tired of ballin’ so it’s on to the next sport
New Mercedes sedan, they’ll export
So many cars DMV though it was mail fraud
Different traps, I was gettin’ mail from
Polk County, Jacksonville, rep Melbourne
Whole clique’s appetite had tapeworms
Spinnin’ Teddy Pendergrass vinyl as my jay burns
I shed a tear before the nights over
God bless the man I put this ice over
Gettin’ 2Pac money twice over
Still a real @%@+@, red Coogi sweater, dice roller
I’m makin’ love to the angel of death
Catchin’ feelings never stumble retracin’ my steps

one of the better verses of the entire album

DIPSETGENERAL WROTE:

Rick Ross' "Port of Miami" went at least double platinum.

roll.gif

Son that @!!% hit 900k max. I remember those Soundscan threads and that @!!% topping out at like 860k or so.

This man sit "AT LEAST" double plat
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom