Peter Rosenberg speaks on the "Rick Ross Era"

Has never gone plat.

Couldn't even do it with BMF & Aston Martin all over the radio to go along with Jay Ye & TI features

Unfortunately, this is the YM era

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Futuristic

I don't care what any MTV list, NTer or anyone else says, Rick Ross is not the "hottest" out right now. Drake, Wayne, Nicki, Ye and Jay are all "hotter" than him. He MIGHT be hotter in the streets, but until HIS singles do numbers and HIS albums sell he isn't seeing any of those 5.
none of this matter because at da end of da day, hiphop is from da streets...and being da people's champ >>> being a sales guys
Actually now that I think about it, he isn't even hotter in da streets. Drake and Wayne are definitely getting heavier play in da streets. Half da streets don't even !%*% with Ross cause he used to be a cop. Anytime I'm at da courts, da dopeboys are still !%+!+*+ with Wayne and Drake off da early model android or in da nearby crown vic. 

RICK ROSS is a average rapper that Puff & Khaled are hyping up..On the real I think somebody paying these dudes to co-sign for ROSS the Timbaland comment was the nail in the coffin for me...BTW NinjaHood JEEZY last album was the RECESSION & last time I checked that was 2008..ROSS is more bark than bite we can throw sales out right now because we all know ROSS ain't never gon go platinum but like someone said when have you heard somebody say "ROSS killed that verse" or "That was a str8 piff that ROSS was spittin" NEVER!!..ROSS is all hype & all that he did to slander JEEZY & snowman still killin why??? because he don't have a real fan base & JEEZY has a fan base ROSS he just hott..MEEK a superstar?? Wale career resurrected?? MMG a empire?? Ninjahood is a Troll now for real...lmao

Originally Posted by Antidope

He didn't mention Hov in the most consistent rappers ever and then gave that response
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
. Every era is JAY-Zs era

Are you stupid? Since Hov's first album in 1996, no year has been HIS year until his track with Alicia Keys.
roll.gif
Even THAT'S debatable, seeing as how many f*gs came out the woodwork in '09 to support Drake's industry-plant a*ss. Other than that, he's been SHARING some of the top spots. Never did he run it on his OWN until years later. Stop re-writing history.

1996 - Tupac
1997 - Puffy
1998 - DMX
1999 - Dr. Dre
2000 - Eminem
2001 - Ja Rule
2002 - Lil Jon
2003 - 50 Cent
2004 - TI
2005 - Jeezy
2006 - Lil Wayne
2007 - Kanye
2008 - Ross
2009 - Jay-Z

Not saying any of these rappers are better than Jay (other than Pac), but let's not kid ourselves, he was never on top until he kept repeating how great he was & fans ate it up. Yes, Jay is better than most of them, but was he bigger during each year? Nah. Even NELLY was running 2000 more than Jigz.

Originally Posted by BradNSU

RICK ROSS is a average rapper that Puff & Khaled are hyping up..On the real I think somebody paying these dudes to co-sign for ROSS the Timbaland comment was the nail in the coffin for me...BTW NinjaHood JEEZY last album was the RECESSION & last time I checked that was 2008..ROSS is more bark than bite we can throw sales out right now because we all know ROSS ain't never gon go platinum but like someone said when have you heard somebody say "ROSS killed that verse" or "That was a str8 piff that ROSS was spittin" NEVER!!..ROSS is all hype & all that he did to slander JEEZY & snowman still killin why??? because he don't have a real fan base & JEEZY has a fan base ROSS he just hott..MEEK a superstar?? Wale career resurrected?? MMG a empire?? Ninjahood is a Troll now for real...lmao

Code:
"You wasn't with me shooting in the gym"
Code:
Spoiler [+]
Code:

Originally Posted by heelish

He didn't mention Hov in the most consistent rappers ever and then gave that response
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Are you stupid? Since Hov's first album in 1996, no year has been HIS year until his track with Alicia Keys.
roll.gif
Even THAT'S debatable, seeing as how many f*gs came out the woodwork in '09 to support Drake's industry-plant a*ss. Other than that, he's been SHARING some of the top spots. Never did he run it on his OWN until years later. Stop re-writing history.

1996 - Tupac
1997 - Puffy
1998 - DMX
1999 - Dr. Dre
2000 - Eminem
2001 - Ja Rule
2002 - Lil Jon
2003 - 50 Cent
2004 - TI
2005 - Jeezy
2006 - Lil Wayne
2007 - Kanye
2008 - Ross
2009 - Jay-Z

Not saying any of these rappers are better than Jay (other than Pac), but let's not kid ourselves, he was never on top until he kept repeating how great he was & fans ate it up. Yes, Jay is better than most of them, but was he bigger during each year? Nah. Even NELLY was running 2000 more than Jigz.

Even tho it's a lil off topic... This man is 100% correct. That list is on the money no question. And that's what I always said about JAY.

As far as Ross goes, it's just amazing how much he has grown as an artist. From port of miami til now
eek.gif
 he got so much better. He is the top dude right now. But he just not dominating like other top dogs have. Like when Wayne was on top or Even Jeezy. Nobody was touching them dudes.

That list is spot on heelish made, though I would definitely put Nelly on there sometime between 2000 and 2002.

roll.gif

1996 - Tupac
1997 - Puffy
1998 - DMX
1999 - Dr. Dre
2000 - Eminem
2001 - Ja Rule
2002 - Lil Jon
2003 - 50 Cent
2004 - TI
2005 - Jeezy
2006 - Lil Wayne
2007 - Kanye
2008 - Ross
2009 - Jay-Z

Yet he has more #1 albums then all of these people you listed.

Jay's not a pop rapper he's more of a country artist when it comes to success in the rap game...think bout it

Jay-Z wasn't the MVP of any year but his overall career consistency takes a big steaming dump over any other rappers career except Eminem.

Im not a fan of dude (but i eff with him since hes from the Burgh), but its more of Wiz's era than anybody else. Him and Spitta have changed the whole climate of rap, and made a lane for guys like Dom K, Kendrick ect. They made it cool to rap about things other than drug dealin and murder. The D Boy rappers of Rick Ross are a dying breed, so no, its not his era, hes just one of the last ones to stay afloat while the other gangster rappers drown

Originally Posted by solarius49

Im not a fan of dude (but i eff with him since hes from the Burgh), but its more of Wiz's era than anybody else. Him and Spitta have changed the whole climate of rap, and made a lane for guys like Dom K, Kendrick ect. They made it cool to rap about things other than drug dealin and murder. The D Boy rappers of Rick Ross are a dying breed, so no, its not his era, hes just one of the last ones to stay afloat while the other gangster rappers drown

1. no
2. Kanye made that cool

3. shut up

Man you got me, that was such a great response. I got ethered
and Kanye has put out some great material (CD is my favorite dc of all time), but he doesnt put out nearly enough material for it to be his era.  Ross hasnt changed any facet of the game, so theres no way it would be considered his.  Bottom line, this is the age/era of the Wiz/Spitta/Krit ect

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif

1996 - Tupac
1997 - Puffy
1998 - DMX
1999 - Dr. Dre
2000 - Eminem
2001 - Ja Rule
2002 - Lil Jon Nelly
2003 - 50 Cent
2004 - TI Lil' Jon
2005 - Jeezy
2006 - Lil Wayne T.I.
2007 - Kanye
2008 - Ross Lil' Wayne
2009 - Jay-Z
2010 - Rick Ross

That list is a little off.

Lil' Jon's year was 2004 not 2002. That crunk movement didn't start popping commercially until the fall of 2003. I'd put Nelly at 2002 since that's the year "Nellyville" dropped. Lil' Wayne had 2008, that was the C3 year. If you were to give Ross a year it would be 2010. T.I. I'd throw in at 2006.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif

1996 - Tupac
1997 - Puffy
1998 - DMX
1999 - Dr. Dre
2000 - Eminem
2001 - Ja Rule
2002 - Lil Jon Nelly
2003 - 50 Cent
2004 - TI Lil' Jon
2005 - Jeezy
2006 - Lil Wayne T.I.
2007 - Kanye
2008 - Ross Lil' Wayne
2009 - Jay-Z
2010 - Rick Ross

That list is a little off.

Lil' Jon's year was 2004 not 2002. That crunk movement didn't start popping commercially until the fall of 2003. I'd put Nelly at 2002 since that's the year "Nellyville" dropped. Lil' Wayne had 2008, that was the C3 year. If you were to give Ross a year it would be 2010. T.I. I'd throw in at 2006.

2010 is a toss up between Eminem and Kanye. Kanye dropped a classic plus the Good friday series and Eminem had the album sells rap hasn't seen since 2005. Only thing Ross did was drop a very good but overrated album

Dog, few people outside of NT were checking for the Good Friday series, or Good Music period for that matter

Originally Posted by solarius49

Dog, few people outside of NT were checking for the Good Friday series, or Good Music period for that matter

Maybe not where you're from but around my way everyone wanted to hear those joints especially the ones that had Pusha since thats when people were on him pretty hard at the time.

Whoops, gunnascott you're right. I keep thinking MBDTF dropped in 2011
30t6p3b.gif
and I forgot about Em.

Its real $#* he's speaking. People don't want to admit it. People don't want to hear it. But fact is, Rawse as a rapper is the last of a dying breed. Peter Rosenberg called it "hashtag rap". That's the new era of rappers. Rawse isn't a great lyricist. But he rarely embarasses himself on the mic. He's hung with credible rappers.

We as hip hop fans ask for consistency. We ask for growth. We ask for decent music. We want free music. There aren't many artists out there who can give fickle hip hop fans what they ask for time and time again but Rawse comes the closest. He's getting better by the album and his ear for production is one of the best in the rap game.

There aren't too many mainstream artists out there that is actually doing what Rawse is doing. People may not appreciate him now but you will some years down the road.

He's one of the best rappers in the game. Best lyricist? Far from it. But he's definitely one of the best rappers who's consistently dropping material and feeding fans.

Feels like I've seen this thread a hundred times before,

Ross hasn't released a complete album to make me feel like he deserves all the praise he's getting

Maybe we'll get it with GFID, I need a masterpiece

Clearly Drake's era lyrically and commercially, but Rick Ross has been good since Deeper Than Rap (his best album IMO). Definitely the two most buzzworthy of late.

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Its real $#* he's speaking. People don't want to admit it. People don't want to hear it. But fact is, Rawse as a rapper is the last of a dying breed. Peter Rosenberg called it "hashtag rap". That's the new era of rappers. Rawse isn't a great lyricist. But he rarely embarasses himself on the mic. He's hung with credible rappers.

We as hip hop fans ask for consistency. We ask for growth. We ask for decent music. We want free music. There aren't many artists out there who can give fickle hip hop fans what they ask for time and time again but Rawse comes the closest. He's getting better by the album and his ear for production is one of the best in the rap game.

There aren't too many mainstream artists out there that is actually doing what Rawse is doing. People may not appreciate him now but you will some years down the road.

He's one of the best rappers in the game. Best lyricist? Far from it. But he's definitely one of the best rappers who's consistently dropping material and feeding fans.

This is all that needs to be said.

Back
Top Bottom