Peter Rosenberg speaks on the "Rick Ross Era"

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

I agree with everything dude said. I've been saying it since Deeper Than Rap dude cant lose.
Fool you really think nobody is seeing Ross right now??

Too much riding for my tastes. Imo Ross isn't putting anything spectacular out that would set the stage for a so called "Ross era". It's pretty
much he's just hot right now and has captured the attention of the average hiphop mass.

Originally Posted by CJ863

Too much riding for my tastes. Imo Ross isn't putting anything spectacular out that would set the stage for a so called "Ross era". It's pretty
much he's just hot right now and has captured the attention of the average hiphop mass.

Not even that I dont think is that big mainstream-wise or any other type of genre except trap. Yeah dude has built a name but dude aint dropping another BMF or any material that great to justify that this is his era.

Originally Posted by CJ863

Originally Posted by alex2182

I agree with everything dude said. I've been saying it since Deeper Than Rap dude cant lose.

As far as rapping yeah of course there's people that are seeing him but as far as consistency no.

I'm a ross fan but I don't really agree with that.
Ross is very consistent in releasing material, has improved lyrically almost every album and his mic presence is second to none.
But he also makes a lot of filler records, never covers new ground musically or conceptually and relies too heavily on production.
Like when did Ross every make a real groundbreaking record? Where is his Jesus Walks, 99 Problems, Stan
He has no real personality or authenticity in his work, it's like I'm just listening to someone speak about a fantasized version of themselves
Theres a place for that +*%*, but you can't be considered the best hip hop artist with basically no originality or creativity.

Originally Posted by awwsome

Ross is very consistent in releasing material, has improved lyrically almost every album and his mic presence is second to none.
But he also makes a lot of filler records, never covers new ground musically or conceptually and relies too heavily on production.
Like when did Ross every make a real groundbreaking record? Where is his Jesus Walks, 99 Problems, Stan
He has no real personality or authenticity in his work, it's like I'm just listening to someone speak about a fantasized version of themselves

Theres a place for that +*%*, but you can't be considered the best hip hop artist with basically no originality or creativity.
well said

Originally Posted by illphillip

An era signified by marketing > the quality or integrity of the music?

Maybe.
As much as the fan in me will hate this statement.
I love Ross' business moves. Even if its not him directly, his moves and approach is tailored for success. 

tumblr_m1znl2V9801qdxn5so1_500.jpg

I agree with mostly everything that he said, and I was saying similar things in the Rick Ross thread when Rich Forever dropped. The whole "Theres no close second" thing is ridiculous though, JAY-Zs still rapping for one thing, and several other artists that I could mention
Wish Silly Putty was here to agree and drop walls of text in support

He didn't mention Hov in the most consistent rappers ever and then gave that response
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
. Every era is JAY-Zs era

As far as rapping yeah of course there's people that are seeing him but as far as consistency no.

The only consistency I see is in production, some Rick Ross fans dont even know or even listen to Port of Miami
laugh.gif
and as much as I liked Trilla it was forgettable

I somewhat agree with you but...

Im fine with those filler records in between projects or those free projects he gives us. Why not throw em out and let the people have em. I dont even think Ross needs a groundbreaking record but he could probably make one (time will tell). 
Ill be just fine with son if he just continues this mafioso lifestyle/rap as is and this amazing consistency. If it aint broke dont try and fix it. Its entertainment so nobody should really expect it to be authentic.
Hes def the hottest and best out right now in rap music. Ross ear for picking production is down right disgusting and cant be matched right now and he is only getting better with the raps project to project.

Well see though...

The only consistency I see is in production, some Rick Ross fans dont even know or even listen to Port of Miami
laugh.gif
and as much as I liked Trilla it was forgettable
I listened to Port of Miami today as a matter of fact. I did skip more songs than I did when it first came out, but I was riding hard with that album that summer. Trilla used to be my favorite one but I agree with you on this. He hasn't really had an album that had longevity, but then again thats hard to do. 

I don't care what any MTV list, NTer or anyone else says, Rick Ross is not the "hottest" out right now. Drake, Wayne, Nicki, Ye and Jay are all "hotter" than him. He MIGHT be hotter in the streets, but until HIS singles do numbers and HIS albums sell he isn't seeing any of those 5.

As far as branding goes this is Rick Ross's time but music wise, naw. Ross has really got to bring it with God Forgives, I dont to be included in the talk of this being his "era". I feel like Rosenberg wanted to make a huge prediction based off whats been happening for the last 2 or so years. What I mean by the branding this is that Ross uses marketing tools to the fullest and not only puts himself on but all of MMG. I would credit Ross with really ushering in the viral age of hip hop.

Ciph lives at UCB trying to be a comic and Peter is babbling about some fat black dude.

Stop this nonsense and do a Juan Ep.

Back
Top Bottom