Phil Knight Going In To Basketball Hall of Fame - Deserved?

wow phil knight and sam smith? this dude MJ, who are you getting in next steve kerr?

Originally Posted by quik1987

Originally Posted by MBen32

Originally Posted by quik1987

He does, just for the technological advances Nike has done for Basketball.

Y'all are forgetting what he has done for the Oregon Ducks as well.
what exactly does that have to do with "Pro" Basketball?
Just throw the CEO's of Reebok, Adidas, Converse, etc. in there as well. 
laugh.gif

It's the Basketball Hall of Fame not the "Pro" Basketball Hall of Fame genius.
I'm still confused as to what the Oregon Ducks have to do with anything.

well Jerry Krause didnt draft MJ, he did draft pippen and grant but really pippen was top 5 pick not like he found him bottom of the draft....but he did put together players around MJ to win and kukoc was a great find.....did he hire phil jackson or was that doug collions? if he hired phil then i think he should get into the hall of fame.....thats if MJ allows it

I don't think I've read one legit reason as to why he shouldn't be in.

Everything that Jordan has contributed to basketball off the court can be attributed to Nike and Phil Knight.

Nike was a key contributor in basketball's global emergence during the 1980's and 90's. Converse, Reebok, and Adidas were merely shoe companies. Nike was a part of the culture.

And I think that's the key to the whole argument. I mean, look at what site you're on for crying out loud. You aren't camping out for a pair of Reeboks. Nike helped turn basketball shoes into acceptable casual apparel as opposed to merely athletic wear.

Nike is a part of basketball culture.

Originally Posted by KingofIlladelph

I don't think I've read one legit reason as to why he shouldn't be in.

Everything that Jordan has contributed to basketball off the court can be attributed to Nike and Phil Knight.

Nike was a key contributor in basketball's global emergence during the 1980's and 90's. Converse, Reebok, and Adidas were merely shoe companies. Nike was a part of the culture.

And I think that's the key to the whole argument. I mean, look at what site you're on for crying out loud. You aren't camping out for a pair of Reeboks. Nike helped turn basketball shoes into acceptable casual apparel as opposed to merely athletic wear.

Nike is a part of basketball culture.
Well said.  For a lot of people, Nike is basically synonymous with basketball -- they go hand-in-hand.  That happened on Knight's watch.  

Back
Top Bottom