Phoenix Suns to wear "LOS SUNS" jerseys tonight in celebration and protest...

Just searched for a thread on this, didn't see one.

[h1]Suns using jerseys to send message
[/h1]
The "Los Suns" jerseys the Phoenix Suns wear annually for the NBA's "Noche Latina" program just went from marketing gimmick to political statement.

And a playoff series with a narrative already worthy of The History Channel just added a subplot that would make for a rowdy segment on Fox News Channel.

In announcing the Suns would wear their Spanish jerseys for Game 2 against the San Antonio Spurs -- which falls on the Mexican holiday known as Cinco de Mayo -- Suns owner Robert Sarver went out of his way to knock Arizona's controversial immigration enforcement law known as Senate Bill 1070.

Good for Sarver. The only time we're used to seeing pro sports team owners take a public stance on a political legislation is when there's a stadium funding bill on the ballot. But something has gotten into Sarver. In the Suns' 111-102 victory over the Spurs in Game 1 on Monday night he was on his feet, exhorting the crowd to make more noise. Now he's jumping into this divisive issue.

The bill was signed into law last month by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer. It makes it a misdemeanor for immigrants to be in Arizona without proper documents and allows police officers to request proof of status if there is a "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the country illegally.

We need to crack down on the illegal immigration problem, which is why many welcome the tougher legislation. It is the potential racial profiling and abuse of the reasonable-suspicion clause that make this law suspect. It's not too hard to guess who will be asked to provide their papers (Hint: They're more likely to look like Leandro Barbosa than like Steve Nash). If Americans are regularly stopped and asked to prove they're American, then America feels less like America.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Sarver-100504#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5162893&story=5162581">http://sports.espn.go.com...162893&...idth=640,height=550,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
nba_g_hill-nash01_300.jpg

Christian Petersen/Getty ImagesPhoenix will wear its "Los Suns" jerseys in Game 2.

In a news release from the team, Sarver said, "Our players and organization felt that wearing our 'Los Suns' jerseys on Cinco de Mayo was a way for our team and our organization to honor our Latino community and the diversity of our league, the State of Arizona, and our nation … "

The next paragraph was when he teed off on the politicians.

"The frustration with the federal government's failure to deal with the issue of illegal immigration resulted in passage of a flawed state law. However intended, the result of passing this law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question, and Arizona's already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them."

Businesses and unions have already announced they will boycott travel to Arizona. The University of Arizona says it has already received notices from out-of-state students that they won't be attending school there in the fall because of the law. There are calls for Major League Baseball to move the 2011 All-Star Game from Arizona, as the NFL once did with the Super Bowl after the state refused to honor the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

On Sunday, The Arizona Republic ran a rare front-page editorial that bashed both Democrats and Republicans, saying "Arizona politicians are pandering to public fear. The result is a state law that intimidates Latinos while doing nothing to curb illegal immigration."

The backlash against the law has already led to change. On Friday, Brewer approved modifications that would prohibit police from using race as a base for questioning people about their status. But there are also changes that could lead to increased questioning when violations of local municipal codes are investigated.

The best way to get attention is by waving or withholding dollar bills. Sarver doesn't have that option. The NBA can't use its All-Star Game as leverage because Phoenix just hosted the weekend event in 2009 and wouldn't be due to come up in the rotation again for a while.

Holding the Suns' home playoff games in another state would hurt Sarver and the team more than it would hurt any politician. (Such a dramatic venue switch wouldn't be unprecedented; the Lakers moved a home playoff game against the Trail Blazers to Las Vegas when Los Angeles was engulfed in the post-Rodney King verdict riots in 1992). Besides, if Amare Stoudemire is going to keep playing the way he did in Game 1 (23 points and a big 13 rebounds), the Suns are going to need every ticket and bucket of popcorn sold in their home arena to re-sign him.

Asking for a player sit-out to prove a point would be unfair. They've worked too hard to get here and could finally get the franchise past a Spurs team that has ended four of the past five Phoenix playoff runs. The Suns have been victimized by an untimely bloody nose on Nash, a suspension because Stoudemire walked 15 feet down the sideline and the shot of Tim Duncan's career. It would be cruel and unusual for them to go down this time because of a piece of legislation.

So it's best to go with this small gesture that speaks volumes. The "Los Suns" jerseys are part of a leaguewide effort to reach out to Latino fans every year. The Lakers, Spurs and Heat also wear Spanish-tweaked jerseys on the Noches Latinas. I always wondered why they didn't go all-Spanish (the Suns should be "Los Soles," for example), but it's a start. At least the league is recognizing a sizable and important part of its fan base. The Suns could have let the uniforms speak for themselves, but Sarver decided to put the message out there and remove all doubt.

It could make him more enemies than it wins him fans. One poll showed that 70 percent of respondents favored the bill. He could face backlash from sports fans who might have hoped the games could provide a nice break from the issue. When Jared Dudley asked his Twitter followers what it would mean to Phoenix if the Suns beat the Spurs, one hoped it could "unite the city in light of what is going on with the government immigration issues."

Instead, three letters added to the home team's jerseys will serve as a reminder that there's more than just a playoff series being contested in Arizona right now. Sometimes we all need to be aware of the bigger picture and not just get lost in the games. Thanks to Sarver, the rivalry that once gave us the Robert Horry-on-Nash hip check just provided us with a reality check.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Sarver-100504

I am in favor of this...I just wish it wasn't a playoff game. I do agree with Adande's stance on it though.

If there are any redeeming qualities basketball wise from this decision it's that the Suns were 2-0 this year with the Los Suns jerseys.

zodogg will be attending the game in his regular Suns jersey and white, triangular hat to protest Los Suns' protest.

When did Zo get elected to office out there anyways?  How'd that happen? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

zodogg will be attending the game in his regular Suns jersey and white, triangular hat to protest Los Suns' protest.

laugh.gif
roll.gif

i know right...everything makes sense now with his numerous nicknames for guys like kobe and manu
laugh.gif

When did Zo get elected to office out there anyways?  How'd that happen? 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

but as zodogg would say...why yall bringing up the past?
(the past being zo)

like i said in the general thread, i think the owner is on the right side of the debate, but i see this move as more patronizing than "symbolic"

I wanted to ask some of NT's mexican brothers how they felt about this and if they any were Arizona Diamondback fans
they put out a statement completely backing the legislation...

Baseball players are 27% Hispanic decent and I was hoping to see or hear if they had something to say about the statement and the MLB all star game being helf in Arizona this yr

Well I am of Mexican descent, and I fully support the Sunsorganization.  I believe it is sadfor people to actually support SB1070. No matter how you spin, it is legalized racial profiling targeted at apopulation, the Latino community, in Arizona.  The language originally used in the bill was really vague,and there has since been changes, but it is still legalized racial profiling.Bravo to Steve Nash and Co. Also to Greg Popovich for trying to ‘Los Spurs’jerseys too. 

As far as the Diamondbacks are concerned, last time I reallypaid attention to them was when they had Randy Johnson.  I do not care for them, and again it issad for people to actually support this form of legalized racial profiling.  I believe I read somewhere that Rev.Jessie Jackson wantsto get the All-Star Game pulled from Arizona.  But c’mon this is the same state thatdid not want to recognize MLK day…. Really? 

And here is a link to Rev. Jessie Jackson calling out Bud Selig on the All-Star game for next year.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/05/jesse-jackson-calls-on-selig-to-pull-all-star-game-out-of-arizona/1

Originally Posted by Captain Charisma

Well I'm am of Mexican descent, and I fully support the Suns organization.  I believe it is sad for people to actually support SB1070.  No matter how you spin, it is legalized racial profiling targeted at a population, the Latino community, in Arizona.  The language originally used in the bill was really vague, and there has since been changes, but it is still legalized racial profiling. Bravo to Steve Nash and Co. Also to Greg Popovich for trying to ‘Los Spurs’ jerseys too. 

This...
The Spurs only have the white Home "los spurs"...not the road ones(black)

Stay classy PHX. I will be rooting for them until they meet the Los Lakers.

I am boycotting anything Arizona which includes the Phoenix Suns so I could care less what jersey they wear. You won't find me watching this playoff series so I am PRAYING the Spurs win. I don't want to be a hypocrite if the Suns win and they play the Lakers in the conference finals because then I would have to watch them since I am a Lakers fan.

Come on SPURS!!!!

Twitter is as unfiltered of a platform as you can get. Anything pretty much goes. That being said, Zo is a good dude, and I've had plenty of converations with him here on NT and on Twitter. I've got nothing against the guy. Sure his views can be strong-willed and sometimes rub people the the wrong way, but he's very knowledgable about sports.

FWIW, I like the stand the Suns are making. Good for them. The new law is a joke, and it's a shame living in the US has actually come down to leagalized racial profiling. It's inhumane and disgusting.

On the baseball tip, do you think there would be any players of Latin descent who actually SKIP the ASG? Imagine that? You'd be going against your own players union, but this is a much larger cause....

agree with captain charisma

much respect to the suns organization and everybody else for speaking up

^
No offense DoubleJ's, but @#$%^&*(.  You personally don't have any teams that he despises.  If you did, he would lump you in with all others and wish death and murder and all other things his lame @#$ stupid mind could think of on the players/teams that you follow.  All because his teams suck and he's used to losing. 

I personally wish he was back on here, buuuuuut,  then I would get banned in less then 10 posts, but hey. 
laugh.gif

You'd be going against your own players union, but this is a much larger cause....

no no my brother, the baseball union has taken a strong stance against the legislation

"The Major League Baseball Players Association opposes this law as written.  We hope that the law is repealed or modified promptly.  If the current law goes into effect, the MLBPA will consider additional steps necessary to protect the rights and interests of our members.

"My statement reflects the institutional position of the Union.  It was arrived at after consultation with our members and after consideration of their various views on this controversial subject."

I sure hope this Misnomer of the Latino ball players just going with the flow and not making waves is untrue. I'd like to see them take a stand

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Twitter is as unfiltered of a platform as you can get. Anything pretty much goes. That being said, Zo is a good dude, and I've had plenty of converations with him here on NT and on Twitter. I've got nothing against the guy. Sure his views can be strong-willed and sometimes rub people the the wrong way, but he's very knowledgable about sports.
I'm a Laker fan & I agree...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

^
No offense DoubleJ's, but @#$%^&*(.  You personally don't have any teams that he despises.  If you did, he would lump you in with all others and wish death and murder and all other things his lame @#$ stupid mind could think of on the players/teams that you follow.  All because his teams suck and he's used to losing. 

I personally wish he was back on here, buuuuuut,  then I would get banned in less then 10 posts, but hey. 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Like I said, I can only go off of my interactions w. the dude...and he's OK in my book. 

*and I stand corrected on what I said about the PU....do any of you think any of the Latino players will skip in protest? 

Back
Top Bottom