Photoshop experts: I Need Some Constructive Criticism

Hey NT, I tried to emulate the Obama hope poster. This was my first attempt and took my about two hours to do. I'd love to get some constructive criticismform the Graphic Designers on here. Be easy on me NT. I'm still a young grass hopper in the GD world.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the help, or disses ahead of time.

3975835069_6725ac3281.jpg

Nicely done. A few things that caught my eye though.

The sharp vertical line in the middle toward the bottom is distracting. You might want to soften that up a teeny bit without blurring it too much, if thatmakes sense.

Also, "Jeffrey" should be taken out. I see what you're trying to do with the letters, but that emphasizes his middle name the most, and it'sthe least important piece of text on there.
Take it out, and increase the font size of "Michael Jordan" That should be the centerpiece of the graphic.

Other than that... great job.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Aw damn first post ruined this thread
laugh.gif

But yeah looks good to me.
laugh.gif

Anything you'd critique on it? I'm looking for solid feedback.

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Aw damn first post ruined this thread
laugh.gif

But yeah looks good to me.
laugh.gif

Anything you'd critique on it? I'm looking for solid feedback.
Um... to be honest I have no "solid" feedback
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IHaveMyOwnOpinion

There's a website where you can do that obama thing
You didn't have to spend 2hrs lol
It wasn't about getting the picture, but making the picture.

Nicely done. A few things that caught my eye though.

The sharp vertical line in the middle toward the bottom is distracting. You might want to soften that up a teeny bit without blurring it too much, if that makes sense.

Also, "Jeffrey" should be taken out. I see what you're trying to do with the letters, but that emphasizes his middle name the most, and it's the least important piece of text on there.
Take it out, and increase the font size of "Michael Jordan" That should be the centerpiece of the graphic.

Other than that... great job.
I decided to ditch the "bulge" and go with a "shield". Also softened the line slightly. Does it look better, I know the"shield" text looks a little awkward right now but I'm working on it.
3976631402_1bbbd3fb94.jpg

It looks a lot better.

Bring the text in a little closer and don't be afraid to enlarge his name even more.

Maybe a stronger font to distinguish the name.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

It looks a lot better.

Bring the text in a little closer and don't be afraid to enlarge his name even more.

Thanks for the help man. this is how it looks night.
3975878851_d33e41aedd.jpg

Could try removing all the text you have already. And like the Obama poster, instead of putting "Hope" put "GOAT"

Originally Posted by vdubsta

Could try removing all the text you have already. And like the Obama poster, instead of putting "Hope" put "GOAT"
nice idea...

i was gonna say remove the text, it dont look right.

the image itself could be cleaned up aswel...you cant see his left hand at all, the outline of is kinda soft/fuzzy, would look a lot neater if it wascrisp...the horizontal shading could be finer and better applied and also the colors segments could be better arranged and more defined to bring out moredetails from the og pic.

having said that it aint a bad start
laugh.gif
.........keep working on it, this aint some %%+%that you can get dead on in a couple hours...especially if your new to this kind of thing.

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

It looks a lot better.

Thanks for the help man. this is how it looks night.
3975878851_d33e41aedd.jpg
That font doesn't look right for some reason IMO. Try a different one.

And why is his hand in his pants...?

al-bundy-hand-in-pants-tacky.jpg

Jk, it looks good, but I agree on not using the text shapes--if you want to distort it, perhaps try doing it manually with the distort function. The Obamaposter look might be more fitting if you put the text at the bottom like how his said "HOPE" and "CHANGE," but I'm not sure ifthat's what you're going for.

I like it as is, but "Greatest Of All Time" could have a greater arc over "Michael Jordan". That way it would look like the words areprotruding out of the poster.

You got some skills OP. Keep it up.

the ball has a part of it lopped off.

the text should be removed or straight, no shapes on it, especially that last one doesn't look good. you want people to notice the picture not the text andthe way you have it my eyes drift to the text first.

i dont like it...it could be better....but i wouldnt know how to do it....

isnt tehre a mac program that does this?

Try using a harder brush next time. The reason it doesn't look so crisp is because of the feathered edges. ctrl + [ and ctrl + ] is the shortcut to changebrush density.

Nice attempt, keep at it and you'll get better.

Back
Top Bottom