Pickup basketball stereotypes.

depends on the gather, if you gather then you can’t take off & land on the same foot but if the gather is delayed it would be clean…paolo jump stopped to a 2 foot landing so either foot could be made into his pivot
Edit, I was wrong . It is awkward and a travel in any other league but the NBA

Last edited:
Paolo’s play was legal in every league lol

Why do yall make up rules, I don’t understand. Do you not like that the jump stop was backwards? That doesn’t make it a travel. Unorthodox, yes

Why do yall make up rules, I don’t understand. Do you not like that the jump stop was backwards? That doesn’t make it a travel. Unorthodox, yes

not legal for high school because of the gather step

It’s not legal in every league and to avoid the back and forth I’ll leave it at that.

i think that would be valid in every form of basketball but in high school the gather would also count towards the ‘step count’
That’s what I’m saying, the step you’re calling the gather is step 1, then jump stop is step 2

:lol:

The 2 times he actually played competent defense he blocked her. Sagging off like his teammate needs or she can't shoot.

😅 i didn’t even peep the slow motion was available, just looked like ones of those moves that because of the awkwardness & fumble looks off but his footwork seemed clean to me 🤷🏿‍♂️

nba ruling:

breakdown:

This is a travel, unless the definition of maintain has changed since I was in school lol

This is a travel, unless the definition of maintain has changed since I was in school lol

well it wouldn't be legal in high school, so there's is that...but the nba/international hoops both have a gather/zero step, which has technically always been in the rules but have an official interpretation that differs from the strict high school understanding

well it wouldn't be legal in high school, so there's is that...but the nba/international hoops both have a gather/zero step, which has technically always been in the rules but have an official interpretation that differs from the strict high school understanding
So a gather is technically a hop step?

So a gather is technically a hop step?

it could be, but it is easier to understand it as the count does not start until the ball has been 'picked up' or could not be dribbled again, which can be ambiguous for certain gather moves...the most straightforward example is when a player is about to actually put both hands on the ball the step(s) taken in over that duration don't count; it isn't until the other hand meets the ball that the count starts

I'm vacillating back and forth. Initially looked like a travel, saw the MDW and official ruling so it's officially not a travel. Also saw the comment that awkward isn't a travel. And clearly MDW does a great job of showing the most awkward applications of the rules ever, but picture this.

You know the one legged stuff KD and Harden and some other guys pull?

Lets go back to the Paolo video. When he gathers with his left hand on his left foot and his right foot is still in the air, imagine he then jumps up in the air for the one legged KD/Harden stuff. Defender is right there so Paolo just hangs in the air, lets him fly by, then comes down on both feet, still with the ball. Then Paolo jumps back up, shoots the shot and makes it.

That's the same amount of steps/feet. That's not gonna get called a travel? 🤔

Paolo vid - Left foot down/gather with right in the air ----> then both feet in air then down on the ground, then elevates for a shot.

Paolo kd/harden shot - Left foot down/gather with right in the air ----> then both feet in air then down on the ground, then elevates for a shot.

I'm vacillating back and forth. Initially looked like a travel, saw the MDW and official ruling so it's officially not a travel. Also saw the comment that awkward isn't a travel. And clearly MDW does a great job of showing the most awkward applications of the rules ever, but picture this.

You know the one legged stuff KD and Harden and some other guys pull?

Lets go back to the Paolo video. When he gathers with his left hand on his left foot and his right foot is still in the air, imagine he then jumps up in the air for the one legged KD/Harden stuff. Defender is right there so Paolo just hangs in the air, lets him fly by, then comes down on both feet, still with the ball. Then Paolo jumps back up, shoots the shot and makes it.

That's the same amount of steps/feet. That's not gonna get called a travel? 🤔

Paolo vid - Left foot down/gather with right in the air ----> then both feet in air then down on the ground, then elevates for a shot.

Paolo kd/harden shot - Left foot down/gather with right in the air ----> then both feet in air then down on the ground, then elevates for a shot.

in a pickup game, for sure 🤣🤣🤣 but by nba rules that would be clean, there isn't a distinction in those scenarios by the footwork as described...the thing that makes the original shot look like a travel is how his right foot shifts but because he landed on two either foot could be established as his pivot and his left became his pivot

i remember posting this joint sometime ago & so many were calling it travel because it looked so (no pun intended) foreign to their eyes from the type of basketball they were familiar with:

it could be, but it is easier to understand it as the count does not start until the ball has been 'picked up' or could not be dribbled again, which can be ambiguous for certain gather moves...the most straightforward example is when a player is about to actually put both hands on the ball the step(s) taken in over that duration don't count; it isn't until the other hand meets the ball that the count starts
Thanks for the clarification man

Thanks for the clarification man

🤝🏿

this infamous corey brewer play is an example of an ambiguous gather, but is illustrative of something looking off but once you understand how the refs are looking at it you see how it could be clean because his hand arguably never goes underneath the basketball so it could be seen as a live dribble and even tho all the steps in between ‘looks’ awkward he technically had a live handle, gianni’s does this all the time and because he often times doesn’t bring that off hand to the ball it makes it more confusing to determine when he actually ‘gathers’ the ball

Back
Top Bottom