Pickup basketball stereotypes.

an interesting vid on the progression of how the way the game is called has ‘evolved’

Lets be real a lot of those examples of back the day was terrible officiating 🤣 forget the gather step and what constitutes a carry, they were calling travels during live dribbles and non pivot steps 🤣

1000020022.png

Discuss

I legit don't understand how Amin shoots like that. He has been around pro teams for years. Not sure how that happens.

I legit don't understand how Amin shoots like that. He has been around pro teams for years. Not sure how that happens.

he addresses it in the 1st few minutes of the vid, convo lasts about 30 min of jabs & jokes 😂

Last edited:
In short what did he say about the clip?

can’t hit the link to get the particulars straight from him? he basically says he doesn’t shoot like that & hadn’t hooped in years, was shooting w/a woman’s basketball; the unfamiliarity from not hooping plus the women’s basketball threw off his feel, claimed to had hit a few in a row which was the reason his homie started to record but the airball was an even better result 🤣

Yea I honestly didn't feel like listening to that for a response I barely care about. Thanks for explaining. :lol:

Last edited:
one of the my biggest satisfactions when hooping is blocking a mf's jumper, especially he is trying to kyrie me or something

I played with a buddy of mine years ago and we played some 4 on 4 full court and guy on the other team - probably about 6'1 - gets a steal and a breakaway by himself and just casually does something like that and comes back down court. I'm like yeah, I can't do that :lol: It's always the casualness of it that gets me on **** like that.

There really needs to be more strict requirements to coach on any level.

The same way teachers need certain requirements should also be true for coaches.
My girls play travel/AAU volleyball and majority of coaches are actually teachers, but it doesn’t always reflect in their behavior/understanding of working with young kids

My girls play travel/AAU volleyball and majority of coaches are actually teachers, but it doesn’t always reflect in their behavior/understanding of working with young kids

were they coaches that eventually became teachers/staff at school? around my way, that happens quite a bit

were they coaches that eventually became teachers/staff at school? around my way, that happens quite a bit
What I see is players that usually but not always play some college level and just stay involved in the game as coaches to make side $ to supplement their teaching jobs. What I’ve seen is sometimes the younger coaches be the worst ones when it comes to dealing with 10u type teams. Cuz their mindset is too used to older/college kids and they don’t have the maturity to see the bigger picture.

It’s a dangerous game when coaches at the 10u 11u etc level put too much focus on winning. Skills development and cultivating a love for the game takes a back seat to winning. Kids get left behind that don’t get much playing time, but for bball and volleyball a lot of times the small kids are the best players, and the tall goofy giraffe kid gets no playing time. But who ends up being the real baller in the end? But these wack ahh coaches who only care to win, bench their project players, burn out their team, focus on wrong things…. The kid that could go d1 may not even be playing when theyre 15.

There really needs to be more strict requirements to coach on any level.

The same way teachers need certain requirements should also be true for coaches.

In what way can you make the barrier for entry more difficult outside of CPR/First Aid Training and a clean background check?

In most cases the pay is minimal and you're probably losing money if you factor in the amount of time/resources involved. For example our school has the budget for 3 coaches on staff. 1 varsity, 1 jv, 1 assistant.

The total comp for jv and the assistant jobs are 1.8k one time stipends and for the varsity job it's like 3k. We did the math and I would literally make more money getting a minimum wage side job and working the same hours as opposed to coaching. Just not enough $$ for many places to be picky. They just need a responsible adult that can legally be around children who somewhat knows the game. That's it.

I used to coach with a dude that moved back to France to coach and he said there are mandatory classes and content based assessments that have to be taken by anyone looking to be a certified coach.

So I think things can be done to ensure the right folks are in front of these children.

Re: Pay

It's pennies, you're right. The amount of time spent doesn't come close to the amount of time spent with those kids.

This just recently came out, so hopefully there is hope for the pay to increase elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom