Playing Basketball Through Pain vol. Muscle Soreness

Sup NT,

So I had a bum knee (patellar tendonitis) that sidelined me from playing basketball for a good month or so and I recently started hitting the gym again.

Yesterday was the first time I've stepped foot on the court in a while and I ended up staying and playing ball there for 5-6 hours with water breaks in between games and waiting for my next game after a loss.

I must've ran like 10-15 games with few breaks which subsequently ended up with me waking up this morning in extreme, bothersome pain.

This soreness has prevented me from doing any sort of strenuous movement and it's all over; literally all my muscles are sore.

It got so bad that I was glad that I couldn't hit the gym since I promised my gf a date (a pretty painful night)

So let's talk about lactic acid build up and preventative measures.

First, let me start with the fact that I DIDN'T stretch before playing. I started feeling tightness in my calves at the end of my runs and that was the only time I stretched.

Also, I drank plenty of water during the workout but didn't drink any before going to the gym and skipped breakfast or any sort of food except a measly granola bar.

Prior to my injury I would be able to grind through hours of basketball with no problem, pop a few ibuprofens and call it a night. During this time I would play every single day until it came to an abrupt halt when I nearly blew out my knee (jumper's knee is no joke)

I was just so excited to finally be able to PLAY that I disregarded any sort of discipline and now I am feeling the effects of it.

Another factor, I believe, was the fact that I played so much basketball all of sudden after weeks of inactivity that it led to my body being unable to handle it the next day.

I want to play badly tomorrow but I'm so sore that I'm sure that it will hinder my performance. My shooting arm is so sore that I can't straighten it out, I can't even imagine how it'll feel shooting all day.

Learn through my pain, fam and if you were too lazy to read through the entire post, heed the advice in the following cliffs:

-DRINK PLENTY OF WATER; Hydrate your body before and throughout your workout

-STRETCH; Stretch before, during breaks, and after your workout

-REST; Let your muscles heal themselves so you're ready for the next day

-Don't push your body so hard when coming off an injury

Skip to 6:24

**These precautionary measure will keep you from ending up like me today. I'm stuck here icing my whole body, wincing at every movement, and popping advil every hour.

Last edited:
I don't stretch..which is costly..

I was balling all last week.. M-F.. 3+ hours..

My legs was completely done on Friday.. Had to immediately ice my legs after the game/weekend..

Dealing with a torn Achilles that in retrospect was pretty avoidable

It's been 3 months since I've walked

My advice....

Don't neglect any wet spots, no matter what part of the floor it's on

If you're going to work out your legs HARD then take at least a day of rest

And last thing is you have to stretch. You're not a young 17 year old that can run until the sun goes down forever. You gotta face the reality and learn a proper stretch/warm up routine.

5-6 hours? :x

Yeah but that happened because my girl was at work the whole time and I didn't really feel like walking home.

Thing is I still had to cuz she ended up working an extra hour and my phone was dead so i couldn't even call her :smh:

Back
Top Bottom