Please Don't Call Me African-American....Im BLACK

Originally Posted by StylishStef89

A lot of us West Indians/people of West Indian descent don't like being called African American, mainly because they established and created their own culture in that region. That's what they are familiar with so that's what they wish to be recognized as, which is why most of them prefer to be referred to be called black. It could also be because of the "beef" between West Indians/Africans/Black Americans
Do you or anyone else have any background info on this beef? I hear it often but never knew what it stemmed from/

Thanks

Originally Posted by NinerFaithful

What about an asian american with the same situation who's had multiple generations already born in america?
Most Asians in America have a connection to their ethnic origins...  eg Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc..

Originally Posted by NinerFaithful

What about an asian american with the same situation who's had multiple generations already born in america?
Most Asians in America have a connection to their ethnic origins...  eg Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc..

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

A lot of us West Indians/people of West Indian descent don't like being called African American, mainly because they established and created their own culture in that region. That's what they are familiar with so that's what they wish to be recognized as, which is why most of them prefer to be referred to be called black. It could also be because of the "beef" between West Indians/Africans/Black Americans
Do you or anyone else have any background info on this beef? I hear it often but never knew what it stemmed from/

Thanks
Yes. I'm part West Indian, part African American for lack of a better term. When All black people are lumped under one title, it's chaos when black cultures across the board are similar, yet diverse in so many ways. It destroys cultural identity. When someone is saying they are African american, the image of what an african american average stereotype pops up without even properly analyzing what is independently unique about ones cultural characteristics.  

Thanks
Yes. I'm part West Indian, part African American for lack of a better term. When All black people are lumped under one title, it's chaos when black cultures across the board are similar, yet diverse in so many ways. It destroys cultural identity. When someone is saying they are African american, the image of what an african american average stereotype pops up without even properly analyzing what is independently unique about ones cultural characteristics.  

But why do Carib./Afr. get mad at EACH OTHER when OTHER people are labeling them wrong? I don't understand the beef.

But why do Carib./Afr. get mad at EACH OTHER when OTHER people are labeling them wrong? I don't understand the beef.

when you go down there it's not just the Caribbean islands as one culture. Each island has it;s own distinct culture down there. Sorta like a big city with with a bunch of different hoods where people can tell where you from by the way you talk, dress, act, what you eat etc. The islands are more polarized because the geography isolates each individual group.  To an american, all West Indian people have Jamaican accents. But to a West Indian, A Trinidad doesn't sound like a Jamaican. Someone from Grenada can tell if someone is from Barbados.  Plus different islands were owned by different colonial powers like one group of island being british colonies, while the next set may be french etc. European influence plays a big roll on the cultures variety too. Even to now.

when you go down there it's not just the Caribbean islands as one culture. Each island has it;s own distinct culture down there. Sorta like a big city with with a bunch of different hoods where people can tell where you from by the way you talk, dress, act, what you eat etc. The islands are more polarized because the geography isolates each individual group.  To an american, all West Indian people have Jamaican accents. But to a West Indian, A Trinidad doesn't sound like a Jamaican. Someone from Grenada can tell if someone is from Barbados.  Plus different islands were owned by different colonial powers like one group of island being british colonies, while the next set may be french etc. European influence plays a big roll on the cultures variety too. Even to now.

Truly one of the dumbest, most backwards, let's-try-too-hard-to-be-PC terms out there.

'African-American' is just another way of saying 'black', since only 'black' people are considered to be 'African-American'.

Truly one of the dumbest, most backwards, let's-try-too-hard-to-be-PC terms out there.

'African-American' is just another way of saying 'black', since only 'black' people are considered to be 'African-American'.

Originally Posted by torgriffith

I understand all of that but you didn't answer my question.
laugh.gif

Why don't Caribbean folks mess with Africans. Anyone?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

Y'all got White folks so confused...

eyes.gif

I think it's the other way around. The confusion began when we were enslaved and brought here.

As far as the term African American, I don't consider myself one. I don't know if my descendants are from Africa. Africa was not the only continent or country that fell victim to slavery.

I don't consider myself black. The term shows separation. And then the definition of the word,
smh.gif
. We need to realize there is only one way we all should be categorized, as HUMAN BEINGS.

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

Y'all got White folks so confused...

eyes.gif

I think it's the other way around. The confusion began when we were enslaved and brought here.

As far as the term African American, I don't consider myself one. I don't know if my descendants are from Africa. Africa was not the only continent or country that fell victim to slavery.

I don't consider myself black. The term shows separation. And then the definition of the word,
smh.gif
. We need to realize there is only one way we all should be categorized, as HUMAN BEINGS.

It's stupidity, then a competitive thing, it is as simple as that. There is a stigma attached with being labeled African American for some "black" people, and those from the carib do not care for it. Old school West Indians will suggest that African Americans are "lazy", as if being a hard worker is somehow an entitlement. Suggesting this is also a way to get next to the "white man" with the money, putting down others in order to get ahead. Look at Latin America and it is the same thing. Don't tell a Dominican that he is actually Haitian. Don't call Trini a Puerto Rican or Dominican, with all of them sharing the shade of Manute Bol. 

"I am not like THOSE people. I am West Indian," is how some would break it down.

Some African Amercans from the old school would look down on West Indians suggesting their lack of sophistication, manners, speech, and then their holding on to superstition in order to survive.

Marcus Garvey tried to put an end to this crap. His movement was to unite all Black people under one umbrella, defining us all as being Black, then all fighting for the same cause. But you know what happened to him, right?

This kinda put the brakes on the unity that could have been, but the stereotypes still exist, then are a major wedge for many of the old school generation to this day.

However, I am happy to say that much of the younger generation does not cosign this behaviour. I'd like to thank racist White people for this awareness. As the cops who shoot people of color in the back, front and sides, have kinda' shown everyone that you are ALL the " n word ", regardless of where you come from!

It's stupidity, then a competitive thing, it is as simple as that. There is a stigma attached with being labeled African American for some "black" people, and those from the carib do not care for it. Old school West Indians will suggest that African Americans are "lazy", as if being a hard worker is somehow an entitlement. Suggesting this is also a way to get next to the "white man" with the money, putting down others in order to get ahead. Look at Latin America and it is the same thing. Don't tell a Dominican that he is actually Haitian. Don't call Trini a Puerto Rican or Dominican, with all of them sharing the shade of Manute Bol. 

"I am not like THOSE people. I am West Indian," is how some would break it down.

Some African Amercans from the old school would look down on West Indians suggesting their lack of sophistication, manners, speech, and then their holding on to superstition in order to survive.

Marcus Garvey tried to put an end to this crap. His movement was to unite all Black people under one umbrella, defining us all as being Black, then all fighting for the same cause. But you know what happened to him, right?

This kinda put the brakes on the unity that could have been, but the stereotypes still exist, then are a major wedge for many of the old school generation to this day.

However, I am happy to say that much of the younger generation does not cosign this behaviour. I'd like to thank racist White people for this awareness. As the cops who shoot people of color in the back, front and sides, have kinda' shown everyone that you are ALL the " n word ", regardless of where you come from!

laugh.gif

Divide and conquer. It is a product of that strategy and what was purposefully done to keep us from seeing that we are all apart of the same culture. And that is the culture of the earth. Blacks are all split up and given different titles so that when it comes time for unity, blacks will get caught arguing over the titles given rather than see what it is the fight is actually about. The real battle is between non-melanated people maintaining a power structure over melenated people by not allowing the melanated people to know who they are. They do this by destroying images and giving pre-defined limited titles.  It's no secret that the image of blacks is under constant attack in the media and in society yet people don't understand why it is so constant. It is done to perpetuate and continue the big lie that this empire has been running on for it's duration. People melenated and non-melanated are waking up to this truth because they see the true condition of this planet.

laugh.gif

Divide and conquer. It is a product of that strategy and what was purposefully done to keep us from seeing that we are all apart of the same culture. And that is the culture of the earth. Blacks are all split up and given different titles so that when it comes time for unity, blacks will get caught arguing over the titles given rather than see what it is the fight is actually about. The real battle is between non-melanated people maintaining a power structure over melenated people by not allowing the melanated people to know who they are. They do this by destroying images and giving pre-defined limited titles.  It's no secret that the image of blacks is under constant attack in the media and in society yet people don't understand why it is so constant. It is done to perpetuate and continue the big lie that this empire has been running on for it's duration. People melenated and non-melanated are waking up to this truth because they see the true condition of this planet.

This argument also has undertones of supremacy struggles, "internal" separatism and misguided pride within constructed "groups" of people. It is nothing new.

Within the "black" race. Africans don't want to be associated with African Americans and vice versa.

Dominicans don't want to be called black (Word to Ninjahood).

Certain Africans don't want to be called Africans, but rather their country of origin. Within countries in Africa itself, there is constant Ethnic conflict caused by Europeans building nations around groups of people weren't necessarily united before the white man got there. Which tribe/ ethnic group within these countries gets to hold power?

Latino is an all-inclusive term, but different groups of Latinos don't necessarily get along (Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans etc.)

It is human-nature to create these type of divides for the sake of conflict and control, and the white man capitalized on it by creating his own (Race as a category of people).

If only Black people existed on this planet, there would still be divides and prejudices leading to conflict and hatred. Again, it's human-nature.

This is why I take racial/ ethnic/ continental pride with a grain of salt. It's all a lie.
pimp.gif

This argument also has undertones of supremacy struggles, "internal" separatism and misguided pride within constructed "groups" of people. It is nothing new.

Within the "black" race. Africans don't want to be associated with African Americans and vice versa.

Dominicans don't want to be called black (Word to Ninjahood).

Certain Africans don't want to be called Africans, but rather their country of origin. Within countries in Africa itself, there is constant Ethnic conflict caused by Europeans building nations around groups of people weren't necessarily united before the white man got there. Which tribe/ ethnic group within these countries gets to hold power?

Latino is an all-inclusive term, but different groups of Latinos don't necessarily get along (Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans etc.)

It is human-nature to create these type of divides for the sake of conflict and control, and the white man capitalized on it by creating his own (Race as a category of people).

If only Black people existed on this planet, there would still be divides and prejudices leading to conflict and hatred. Again, it's human-nature.

This is why I take racial/ ethnic/ continental pride with a grain of salt. It's all a lie.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom