Please lock.

He did absolutely nothing in maybe 2 or 3 rounds. A fight is 12 rounds though right? So the 9 other rounds what did he do? He was circling making Canelo miss and making Canelo fight the fight that he wanted him to so yes he controlled the fight.

What I'm getting at is when he would engage for the first 30 seconds then take the rest of the round off. Even in making Canelo miss, Canelo's aggression will carry weight. He did miss a lot, but he landed plenty. You can call low on some for sure, but Lara had a thick belt line with those shorts pulled way up.

Lara had excellent ring generalship for a match scored for amateur boxing, but in the pros dancing and moving away even when landing punches doesn't look as good.

Edit: And I agree, had he thrown more he would've won 120-108. He didn't throw though and he only has himself to blame. Especially with all the trash he talked. I reckon he will get a rematch, but they'll wait til they know Canelo can stop him.

Last edited:
So standing still and trade punches until you or your opponent drops is "Pro" boxing?

:nerd:

So standing still and trade punches until you or your opponent drops is "Pro" boxing?

:nerd:

Not what I meant. More so that it isn't just point fighting as it is in the amateurs (meaning land a punch and run instead of trying to actually cause damage with punches).

Y'all do realize plenty of Lara's punches landed on hr gloves or arms as well, right? If he had punched more he could've done it easily, but he didn't. After all he did to get the fight and all the trash he talked, he didn't do any damage nor enough to won in my opinion.

I think a lot of y'all must just hate Canelo.

Last edited:
I like both Canelo and Lara

The trash talk was to hype the fight.

Canelo didn't do enough to win IMO and Lara took a couple rounds off but I still think Lara did enough to win a close decision.

I would have been ok with a draw but that 117-111 was just BS. Oscar wasn't gonna let his "Golden Boy" lose again.

Sucks Lara won't get a rematch.

Just got back from my trip, haven't watched the fight. But the fact that a lot of people including people in the boxing world feel it's justified that Canelo won, regardless of what that one scorecard was, is music to my ears when people were claiming how "overhyped bum" Canelo was going to get outclassed.

:lol:

BRB going to watch and score it.

Not what I meant. More so that it isn't just point fighting as it is in the amateurs (meaning land a punch and run instead of trying to actually cause damage with punches).

Y'all do realize plenty of Lara's punches landed on hr gloves or arms as well, right? If he had punched more he could've done it easily, but he didn't. After all he did to get the fight and all the trash he talked, he didn't do any damage nor enough to won in my opinion.

I think a lot of y'all must just hate Canelo.
Just like you want to say a lot of Lara's shots missed, a lot of those body punches Canelo threw hit elbows and thighs.  If he did zero damage, why was Canelo's face showing damage? The evidence of shots landing was right there on Canelo's face. I hate corrupt boxing not Canelo.

Regardless of how the fight went one thing was very clear.  Lara did not do enough to win this magnitude of a fight.  His performance would beat the guys like Trout but not Canelo.  Canelo is the A side, the cash cow.  Fighting close or just barely winning isn't going to get him the W.  He needed to take full advantage and do some damage.  Too many people point to the Rigondeaux vs Donaire fight as how it can be done but look where it's got Rigondeaux.  After beating arguably a top 5 P4P fighter at the time.

Rigondeaux style is not "fan" friendly but his opponents don't even throw punches for fear of being countered which makes his fights somewhat boring.

Arum also a big reason his career has stalled.

Guillermo Rigondeaux is one of the most gifted and intelligent fighters to come around in a while. Unfortunately, due to his destruction of Nonito Donaire, Bob Arum won't put him in a position to showcase his ability to the masses. There's no reason for a top 10 P4P fighter to be fighting the #60 ranked super bantamweight in China of all places. It's a joke.

Just got done watching it. This is my scorecard.

Canelo/Lara

1. 9/10
2. 10/9
3. 9/10
4. 10/9
5. 10/9
6. 10/9
7. 10/9
8. 9/10
9. 9/10
10. 9/10
11. 9/10
12. 10/9

Draw - 114/114

Not a fan of the cuban amateur style, but it's effective if the fighter who's combatting it isn't punching in volume. It was Lara effective head shots against Canelo's vicious body work. They cancel each other out IMO. Can see a win for either side but in my opinion it was even.

Last edited:
Smh at boxing. This is why I don't take the sport serious anymore. Noway in the world Canelo won that fight. That was either a draw or Lara won a close decision period. Lara controlled the pace and tempo of entire fight basically. A lot of Canelo's body shots hit elbows, thighs and nuts. He did do come good body work but you do not when a fight on body shots alone. That has never happened in the entire history of boxing. Lara landed the cleaner shots that you know without a shadow of a doubt landed.  Boxing is such a at times.

This is a dumb comment.

Just because nobody has ever won in that fashion is because nobody has ever wanted to do it. Body shots are scored the same as head shots. Those body shots were vicious and you can make the argument that his body shots were more affective against his Lara, than Lara's head shots affected Canelo.

You're mad that a close fight went to Canelo? You're fed up with boxing because this was such a robbery right? How the hell can you say that it can be a draw, and be THAT upset that one judge might have given Canelo ONE more round than Lara. You sound like a little kid, "if he doesn't think the way I do he's wrong!".

We get it, you've made it clear, you HATE Canelo.

You JUST admitted that the "overrated bum" that was supposed to get outclassed by Lara could have possibly scored a draw in the fight. Now admit to yourself, that like a woman, you hate him and that your opinion of him is solely based on your feelings and not his boxing ability.

It's hard to have any kind of dialogue in this boxing thread with a person like yourself, who can't separate his feelings from his boxing analysis.

Last edited:
@ChrisMannixSI
Follow
Oscar De La Hoya drops a fascinating name for Canelo's next: Gennady Golovkin. "GGG is a dangerous fighter. That's what Canelo is about."

@ChrisMannixSI
Follow
De La Hoya said Canelo will be back in November. GGG, Cotto, James Kirkland are on his list of future opponents.

Hopefully its GGG.

@ChrisMannixSI

Follow

Oscar De La Hoya drops a fascinating name for Canelo's next: Gennady Golovkin. "GGG is a dangerous fighter. That's what Canelo is about."

@ChrisMannixSI

Follow

De La Hoya said Canelo will be back in November. GGG, Cotto, James Kirkland are on his list of future opponents.

Hopefully its GGG.

No GGG, it doesn't make sense.

I know GGG has said he's willing to come down to 154, but he's never fought at that weight, and Canelo has never fought at 160 so it wouldn't be smart for his first fight moving up be against GGG. If it were to happen maybe meet in the middle and have it at a catch weight of 157 1/2, but I hate catch weights.

Let him fight Cotto and whoever else is at 154 until he moves up to 160. Then they can have a legit fight at 160.

Cotto/Canelo is a modern day DLH/Trinidad. It would be a HUGE fight.

Just like you want to say a lot of Lara's shots missed, a lot of those body punches Canelo threw hit elbows and thighs.  If he did zero damage, why was Canelo's face showing damage? The evidence of shots landing was right there on Canelo's face. I hate corrupt boxing not Canelo.

You do see I wrote as well, right? Meaning I acknowledge Canelo missed plenty too?

Canelo did equivalent damage to Lara's face with less shots (according to Compubox, if you trust those numbers).

And Lara wanted to talk like the body shots didn't hurt and all, but his hands would lower and he would disengage. I'd say judging from the size of his belt and the height his shorts were pulled too he was worried about body shots prior to the fight.

@ChrisMannixSI

Follow

@ChrisMannixSI

Follow

Hopefully its GGG.

No GGG, it doesn't make sense.

I know GGG has said he's willing to come down to 154, but he's never fought at that weight, and Canelo has never fought at 160 so it wouldn't be smart for his first fight moving up be against GGG. If it were to happen maybe meet in the middle and have it at a catch weight of 157 1/2, but I hate catch weights.

Let him fight Cotto and whoever else is at 154 until he moves up to 160. Then they can have a legit fight at 160.

Cotto/Canelo is a modern day DLH/Trinidad. It would be a HUGE fight.

Oscar is just pulling a "Bob Arum" mentioning his fighters name alongside others who have a huge buzz or a fight soon. He does not plan to put Canelo in there with GGG, not yet at least. His intended target is Cotto. It's his way of telling Cotto to step up in negotiations soon or risk this fighting being spoiled in case GGG beats Canelo.

Last edited:
I want to see Cotto/Canelo.
I don't think we get any fight other than this one, it too big of a draw.
Oscar can drop GGG all day long but, money is in a Cotto/Canelo.

Modern day DelaHoya/Felix just like niketalker23 niketalker23 said.
I'm glad it's on November

Last edited:
Ideally they want it on Mexican Independence or Cinco De Mayo. But their names are so big that it doesn't matter when it is. I don't think they should have another "stay busy" fight. They need to just fight each other next. I am picking Canelo to win, it might even be a brutal stoppage.

Last edited:
Ideally they want it on Mexican Independence or Cinco De Mayo. But their names are so big that it doesn't matter when it is. I don't think they should have another "stay busy" fight. They need to just fight each other next. I am picking Canelo to win, it might even be a brutal stoppage.

cosign

I am picking Canelo to win, it might even be a brutal stoppage.

You don't even have to pick, Canelo is clearly the better fighter.  Roach better get Ariza as the strength and conditioning coach.

I won't be surprised if Cotto is the betting favorite, I see so many people saying Cotto will dominate Canelo. Roach helped Cotto with his footwork, but it won't make much of a difference.

Last edited:
Tomoki Kameda scored a KO of the Year candidate tonight against Pungluang Sor Singyu
Tomoki_Kameda_vs_Pungluang_Sor_Singyu.gif

I was hoping someone posted a GIF of this :smokin

This is a dumb comment.

Just because nobody has ever won in that fashion is because nobody has ever wanted to do it. Body shots are scored the same as head shots. Those body shots were vicious and you can make the argument that his body shots were more affective against his Lara, than Lara's head shots affected Canelo.

You're mad that a close fight went to Canelo? You're fed up with boxing because this was such a robbery right? How the hell can you say that it can be a draw, and be THAT upset that one judge might have given Canelo ONE more round than Lara. You sound like a little kid, "if he doesn't think the way I do he's wrong!".

We get it, you've made it clear, you HATE Canelo.

You JUST admitted that the "overrated bum" that was supposed to get outclassed by Lara could have possibly scored a draw in the fight. Now admit to yourself, that like a woman, you hate him and that your opinion of him is solely based on your feelings and not his boxing ability.

It's hard to have any kind of dialogue in this boxing thread with a person like yourself, who can't separate his feelings from his boxing analysis.
Then don't dialogue with me bruh simple. ***** really not that hard seeing as I never personally valued or asked you for your opinion. Trout beat him, Lara beat him and they almost tried to rob Floyd in his fight with him. All the extra ish you commented on means absolutely nothing to me. No fighter is winning a fight on body shots period. It never happened before in the sport for a reason. Conveniently it happens when a Mexican star fights a little known Cuban. FOH buddy.

Back
Top Bottom