Polar Vortex Will Bring Sub Zero Temps to Over 50million Americans vol 100+ Car Pileup on i35 in Ft Worth- Be Safe Bros

:lol: I think this is an environmental issue. Its actually not good for your vehicle to drive it immediately after starting in extreme cold, especially if you do not have a block heater. Fluids need to warm up, ect. In the oilpatch, there are some older model diesels that they just run all night rather than risk turning off and not starting again in the morning.

That said, 5-10 minutes typically works, while that usually wont allow for your cab heater to warm the inside enough.

We hit -70f here last night with windchill. But it's Canada so keep that in mind.

I had hydraulics freeze up on me today while they were running.

Also 3 tractors gelled up on me after adding extra anti gel stuff to the tank. I just got tired of it and went home. :lol: nothing works right when it’s this cold.

Edit, I don’t warm my car up normally I just roll when the rpm’s drop below 1000.

BUT today I literally had oil freeze on me, turn to foam and start spewing out of the tank. I’m warming my car up when it’s this cold to let the oil warm up.

The Washington, D.C. area is preparing for a blast of arctic air that could potentially bring some of the coldest December temperatures to the region that we've seen in nearly 30 years.

Arctic blast brings frigid temperatures, gusty conditions to DC area

Temp has dropped over 30 degrees in the past few hours with about another 18 to go before it reaches its low. 30mph winds presently.

Safe to say I won't be going outside for the remainder of the evening. :lol:

Gonna be like 40 next week and rain in mn at least. Gonna be a hot mess of slush out here.

So I'm hearing it's a bad idea to warm your car up before driving it? So many people (nearly everybody) does just the opposite of that. Oh well, not going anywhere today anyways.
Car warms up faster when you start moving. Heat is basically engine heat being pushed to the cabin.

A hill in my city today

ezgif-2-752c014896.gif

all I worry about in sub zero temps is the oils in the engine and transmission basically solid goop.

Periodically starting your car in the cold is dumb, idk why people do that.

I’m cool with low 30s but once it gets below like 25 and into the teens that’s too much

Randomly almost 60 today in Boston but been pouring all day and this weekend it’s gonna be freezing

Was raining in Cleveland last night at 7PM, 45 degrees. Apparently dropped all the way 0 degrees in less than 6 hours.

I had my girl open the cabinet doors under the sinks but she was reluctant to drip the faucets cause she's been there 4 years and never had to do it. Woke her up this morning like TOLD YOU SO :wink:

Landlord showed up within 45 mins. Turns out some dope fiends broke in the basement this Summer and his maintenance guy replaced the Window with a temporary glass. The wind gusts this morning caved it in, which caused a pipe to end up freezing.

Had an appointment to donate plasma that I had to cancel cause I couldn't even open my car doors, they were frozen shut. I poured some warm water and that loosened up the handle, but the door still wouldn't budge. Realized afterward I should have mixed some rubbing alcohol cause the handle ended up freezing up minutes later even worse.

Really wishing I had remote start. My last car didn't have heat at all and i built up a tolerance, so I rationalized waiting in the new car 5 mins for the heat to build wouldn't be bad so why get Remote start?

I do have a heat gun, but my extension cord is....inside the trunk of the car which is frozen shut:ohwell:

Yea a remote starter is clutch for the winter and summer

Never really cared about heated seats but a heated steering wheel would be nice

8 degrees on the south shore of Long Island.

Walked outside to warm up my car without a jacket on, thought “oh this isn’t SO bad,” took a breath, felt the cold air enter my lungs, and immediately ate my words. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom