\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Looking in to getting a 99-01 4runner for some fun, anyone have any experience with them?
I have a small amount of personal experience with 4Runners. I looked into buying one on 2 separate occasions. The first one I looked at was a early 90s model. It needed a little bit of work, and ultimately I decided it wasn't worth it to sink money into it to fix it, so I passed on it. The second one I looked at was a mid 90s model, with the 3.0L V6. It had a small lift and bigger tires, which definitely wasn't helping things, but man was that thing slow! And that is why I didn't buy it, that thing just could not get out of its own way.

When I was looking into buying one, I saw many owners say that the 3.4L V6 is MUCH better than the 3.0L V6, it has slightly more power, and is more reliable as it doesn't have the head gasket issues that plagued the 3.0. The 99-01 will have the 3.4L V6, or the 2.7L 4 cylinder, so you're good on that respect. I guess it comes down to what you want to do with a 4Runner. They don't have amazing gas mileage, and they're also slow as hell. If both those things don't bother you, 4Runners also run forever, and seem to be decent offroad, and there is a pretty decent aftermarket for them as well.

Me personally, if I was gonna buy a 4Runner, I would opt for the next bodystyle, the 2002-2009. Better MPG, more engine performance, nicer interior, etc, if you are going to do a lot of driving in it. If you're just looking for a toy to thrash off-road, then I'd go for whatever 1989-2001 4Runner you find that is a good deal, and already has some goodies installed on it, either with the 4 cylinder that is bomb proof and slow, or with the 3.4L V6, which is slightly less slow :lol: .

I have a small amount of personal experience with 4Runners. I looked into buying one on 2 separate occasions. The first one I looked at was a early 90s model. It needed a little bit of work, and ultimately I decided it wasn't worth it to sink money into it to fix it, so I passed on it. The second one I looked at was a mid 90s model, with the 3.0L V6. It had a small lift and bigger tires, which definitely wasn't helping things, but man was that thing slow! And that is why I didn't buy it, that thing just could not get out of its own way.

When I was looking into buying one, I saw many owners say that the 3.4L V6 is MUCH better than the 3.0L V6, it has slightly more power, and is more reliable as it doesn't have the head gasket issues that plagued the 3.0. The 99-01 will have the 3.4L V6, or the 2.7L 4 cylinder, so you're good on that respect. I guess it comes down to what you want to do with a 4Runner. They don't have amazing gas mileage, and they're also slow as hell. If both those things don't bother you, 4Runners also run forever, and seem to be decent offroad, and there is a pretty decent aftermarket for them as well.

Me personally, if I was gonna buy a 4Runner, I would opt for the next bodystyle, the 2002-2009. Better MPG, more engine performance, nicer interior, etc, if you are going to do a lot of driving in it. If you're just looking for a toy to thrash off-road, then I'd go for whatever 1989-2001 4Runner you find that is a good deal, and already has some goodies installed on it, either with the 4 cylinder that is bomb proof and slow, or with the 3.4L V6, which is slightly less slow :lol: .
Awesome. I'm just looking to get one to lift and throw some big tires on it to take out on the trails and camping.

Awesome. I'm just looking to get one to lift and throw some big tires on it to take out on the trails and camping.
So you won't be dailying it I take it then? For your purposes, I'd just buy whatever 1989-2001 4Runner you can find that is in good condition, doesn't have a 3.0 V6, and already has a lift and bigger tires. You'll save a lot of money buying one that is already done, and has the aftermarket parts that you want, as opposed to spending money on a lift, install, tires, and whatever other goodies you may want like lights, etc.

Just my 2 cents though, by no means am I an expert on 4Runners, this is just based on the small amount of knowledge I've gathered on them over the years.

Last edited:
I was on the highway with a lowered SI all the way from the triborough bridge to the parsons Blvd exit on the gcp.

We spent most of the time obeying the speed limit and being good boys.

Then right before the union turnpike exit I downshifted, passed the SI and did a little bob and weave through traffic. I slowed down to 65.

I guessed the SI took that as a challenge because the SI caught up and blew past me at 90 mph or more. The left lane was wide open and he took the time to cut into the middle lane where I was driving when he passed me. Thought that was funny :lol:

Ps. I know the triborough bridge is called something else now but I never remember the name :lol:

Picasso, were you heading to LI last night :nerd:

Last edited:
I was on the highway with a lowered SI all the way from the triborough bridge to the parsons Blvd exit on the gcp.

We spent most of the time obeying the speed limit and being good boys.

Then right before the union turnpike exit I downshifted, passed the SI and did a little bob and weave through traffic. I slowed down to 65.

I guessed the SI took that as a challenge because the SI caught up and blew past me at 90 mph or more. The left lane was wide open and he took the time to cut into the middle lane where I was driving when he passed me. Thought that was funny
laugh.gif

Ps. I know the triborough bridge is called something else now but I never remember the name
laugh.gif
Cool story, bro.  RFK Triborough Bridge 
pimp.gif

relax guise :smile:

anywho it rained today :smokin lookin forward to more :evil:

havent heard MCHG in so long :lol: crown and fwmykigi >>>>

and beach is better definitely shouldve been longer hov :smh:

I turned the traction control off on my m3 one time and tried to take off near redline at a dig, unexperienced. Worst experience ever. I don't trust RWD at all without traction control, I also have no track experience, though :lol:
And I was also a dumb *** 19-year old child that left all his dambs at home every time I stepped in that car.

And yup, nearly every song in that album is very very good, especially if you understand his lyrics. 

Completely agree with you:lol:
It was like a tease.

:rofl: too much powa fam!!!!!

u instantly spun out huh :rofl:

i seen a dope video of an m3 drifing a lil uturn on IG ill find it

Last edited:
I did that, but didn't mean to U turn just meant to go straight, and didn't do a complete U-turn :lol: :smh:

Trying to intimidate a ZO6. It was new looking, I'm not sure what their newer/older generation names are. If he filmed me, instant fools wildin' thread :smh:

:rofl: jesus christ :rofl:

Got my goodies in from black friday. Can't wait till school is over and it stop raining to polish up the 10sec whip and put in those LED fogs and HID's. :smokin

And before I get flamed for getting HID's retrofit's were over my budget with all the spending I did :lol: but they will be retrofitted in the future.

We've all done stupid things when we were younger. Just thanking the stars I did not own a fast car when I was 18. I might've been dead by now :lol:

I remember trying to drive a minivan like it's a rally car, cutting ppp off with my civic od and going 50 on residential streets. And more. Smh

I drive tame on my wrx by comparison lol

Last edited:
I got pretty good results with Meguiars products when I used em to take care of the swirls on my Si. Did the compound and polish using a cheap buffer from autozone and only one pad that I never changed and still got some decent results. :lol:

How do I post videos? :frown: I would make a video but I'm in New York right now for a week maybe I can get a ride in the #1of1000

Back
Top Bottom